Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/19/2007, 11:38 PM
Premium Member

SE VS DE?? Help me pick an upgrade to my 150W DE lights..

Hello all, I am hoping to get more involved with SPS corals and I currently have 2 150W DE bubs on my 90, the tank is deep and I would like to get stonger ligthts to keep nice SPS corals, I really am afraid of the DE bulbs getting hot in the enlosures since the need the UV shield, and think the SE bulbs would be easier to cool. I am upgrading to 250's and just wanted some insight on the differences. I have never had SE before.

There seems to be more bulb options for SE, but I understand the HQI DE bulbs are a newer technology.

Thanks to anyone who replies.
Old 11/20/2007, 01:53 AM
Registered Member

I believe SE offers a wider range of quality reflectors. However, the most pleasing bulb (to my eye) is the DE AB10k.

So I suppose it just boils down to personal preference. You could always look at the different lights that the TOTM's use and use your favorite as a model.
Old 11/20/2007, 04:01 AM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

If you're not using HQI magnetic ballast to overdrive the DE, I would recommend going with SE bulbs.

I have gone from DE to SE and I would never go back.
Old 11/20/2007, 09:56 AM
Premium Member

I have the 2x250w DE phoenix bulbs on my sps dominated tank. I have 1x150w SE Reeflux 12K 250w bulbs in a mini luminarc on my LPS/SPS tank and love the look. It seems brighter to me than my SPS tank. The LPS tank sits in the background as you look at the SPS tank so you can really see in one look the difference. I run 2x250w DE Phoenix bulbs on the SPS tank and only 1 single SE bulb on the LPS tank and it definately looks brighter. If I ever decide to change out my lighting completely I may go to the SE over the SPS tank in mini luminarc pendants...but overall I love the DE as well so no need to spend tons of money at this time. Plus the colors of my corals are just fine under the DE.

I suppose I was not much help but I agree with JCVT, it really is personal preference in the end .
Old 11/20/2007, 10:43 AM
In over my head!

If you sift through Sanjay's reflector studies in Advanced Aquarist, you will find that DE pendants offer superior intensity. The smaller bulb is believed to allow a more efficient reflector design in a smaller package.

Don't worry about heat inside a DE pendant, either. MHs are designed to operate at high temperatures, that's why the colors are a bit off while they are warming up. You can actually reduce the performance of a MH bulb if you actively cool the bulb with a fan.

Another point to consider. Different sizes/shapes of reflectors are better suited to different sizes/shapes of tanks. A giant lumenarc reflector spreads light over a 2' square area, trading intensity for greater area coverage. The SLS Reef Optix3 and PFO Minis have very strong intensity over a smaller area, and may be very well suited to the shape of your 90.

Whether you use a true HQI ballast or an electronic, I believe that the superior reflectors make DE a better choice over SE.
Old 11/20/2007, 11:35 AM
Premium Member

I was hoping to use these HQI setups from hello lights

http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=1401

They will be in a conopy that is why I was worried about the heat.

Any thoughts on these pendants?
Old 11/20/2007, 11:37 AM
Premium Member

Actually this is the entire Kit i would like to purchase.

Whole Kit
Old 11/20/2007, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

I think just about everyone from SE to DE to T-5 fluorescent incorporates 2 fans into their canopy if it is closed. Meaning that regardless of type of light, the "standard" method to cool a canopy is generally the same. HTH.