Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 12/16/2007, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

bleaching rock and tank decorations?

I am tring to find out how long I should wait before I place my rock and decorations back into my tank. LFS suggested I bleach this stuff before placing it in my tank since I bought it at their sued store and it had being sitting for awhile. But I didn't ask how long I have to wait before I can place it in water. After it dries, after a few days, or a week or two later?
Old 12/16/2007, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

once the smell of bleach is gone it will be ok to put back. You could also buy some clorine removal that they probably sell at your lfs. Bleach evaporates so you could just wait it out. If you use the clorine removal additive you can put em in right away
Old 12/16/2007, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

bleaching is something that should be avoided, but if your going to do it soak long enough to get the items clean then rinse and rinse again then let soak in fresh water and add alot of dechloreinator, and rinse again.Let set and dry for several days before adding it to the tank
Old 12/16/2007, 10:21 AM
Premium Member

I agree with R.L. Young. I had a guy I work with bleach his rocks to get rid of hair algea. Well he waited for almost 2 months for them to dry. Thought it was good put the tank back up and pu the first fish in and it died within 10 minutes. The only thing I bleach is my filter socks. I then let them dry in the dryer and set out for a few days.
Old 12/16/2007, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Hmm, I wonder if it was a bad move bleaching them. I didn't let them soak long only tops 1 min. and than I put them under running water, and I only did one at a time. I don't smell bleach on them and it might be since I only used at max a half of cup to 8 gallons of water. I'll probably rinse them again and soak in just water again. Good thing is I dont have any livestock in my tank so I have a few weeks.

Thank you all for your input.
Old 12/16/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

dont worry about it!

bleaching your rocks is regular practice for some folks
i bleached over 40# of LR to get rid of majanos (extreme? - ever dealt w/ majanos - wasnt worth the risk of infesting the other 200+pounds of LR)... let them sit for several days pulled them out sun dried few days... stuck them back in tubs w/ rodi water and dechlorinator... then to be extra cautious did a 3 stage rinse using rodi again before adding back to tank.

put about half back into my reef
then the other half into fowlr tank... neither of which ever showed any signs of duress/stress bec of it...

to be careful
just add a few pieces at a time - which probably not necessary but will give peace of mind (like i did!)

good luck!

regards
Old 12/16/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

Thanks WarrenAmy&Maddy,

I have them soaking now in clean what debating if I sound just go buy more rock. I'll let it soak and than air dry for a day and add some to tank over 3 days to play it safe. Its snowing here so I cant let it dry outside

Thanks again
Old 12/16/2007, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sokin
Thanks WarrenAmy&Maddy,

I have them soaking now in clean what debating if I sound just go buy more rock. I'll let it soak and than air dry for a day and add some to tank over 3 days to play it safe. Its snowing here so I cant let it dry outside

Thanks again

be sure even after you soak them in clean water
to rinse them well before you add them back... it might not be necessary but use rodi to be sure nothing gets soaked into the rock etc (heavy metals from tap water) etc

as i understand it anyway the chlorine
is dispersed out naturally via chemical processes in the fish tank water anyway (perhaps something about co2/o2 ion exchange blah blah blah = takes it out even it added to tank!)... lots of people use chlorine to clean tank stuff etc etc (pet stores especially)... have also heard that the chlorine is removed just by leaving it out in the sun but rinsing cant hurt for reasons outside of just removing bleach... i am no chemist but bec i am leary about bleach anyway (always seems to put holes in my clothes!) i like to be sure its gone before adding stuff back.

happy holidays

regards

Last edited by WarrenAmy&Maddy; 12/16/2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12/16/2007, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

I used to bleach my rock when I had dead coral (not live rock) - jus tbe sure to rince everything 4 or 5 times, so no longer smell any bleach. I would let dry in sun for few hours then put it right back in tank - never had problems. Might be tough for you though if its snowing,,,
Old 12/16/2007, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the feed back everyone. I rinsed them off again and have a heater blowing over them. I'll give them a few days and start adding them back to my tank a few at time over a few days. Good thing is I don't have any livestock in it yet still a few weeks before I buy any..

Thank you all again, And hope you and your family have a Happy and Safe christmas!!!