Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Greater Iowa Reef Society

Old 11/10/2007, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

So my fish and corals are hungry... (pic Intense)

Well I had some time on my hands this morning and I needed to make another batch of food so I decided to document it a little. This is the biggest batch I've made yet to date. I've been adding and removing stuff each batch but I finally think I came up with the End all recipe.

6x 16oz mysis shrimp
4x 160z krill
10x 16oz mixed sea food (squide, mussel meat, octopus, clam.
16 oz. cyclopzee
2x 3.50z mega marine
3x 3.5oz ocean plankton
4x 160z brine shrimp
3x 4oz silversides
2x 8.8oz sally plankton
10 oz bloodworms
Brown marine algea strips
2x Green Marine algae strips
Red Marine algae strips
10oz New Line Spectrum Marine fish Formula
2.5oz Blue Lagoon Anti-Parasite Marine food
2oz. Formula two pellets
2oz. Formula one pellets
3x 1.5oz jars of Reef Chilli
60ml of Selcon
10 Fl oz of Garlic Guard

It's a crap load of different food but my fish go absolutely nutz for the stuff. So here are the pics of how all of it is put together...

All the ingrediance:

Thawing out the Krill and Mysis Shrimp. Not only does it thaw it out it gets rid of some of the phosphates as well

thawing out the Brine shrimp on the left, and mix seafood on the right.

Mysis shrimp all ready with the plankton cubes etc mixed in

Straining the Brine shrimp before adding to The Mysis etc. mix

All the mysis, brine, cyclopzee, blood worms, plankton, pretty much all the stuff I don't want going into the blender

Filtering all of it once again to get rid of excess water

Finished product mixed together

Last edited by Double-J; 11/10/2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11/10/2007, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

Part II

(Cont)

The meaty portion of the food, seafood mix and krill

Getting ready to start blending the meaty portion

Blending of the meaty portion, also adding Nori

After the blend

Each blend I dump in the bucket mix with the soft stuff and add dry foods, making sure to mix well between each addition.

All the dry ingrediance plus silcon, and garlic extract

Last edited by Double-J; 11/10/2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11/10/2007, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

Part III

(cont)

Closeup of the mixture

Food put in a gallon bag

I weigh it out, makes it easier for me so they don't overflow by adding too much each bag weighs 1lbs.

All the stinky trash

22 bags later

And in case you are wondering, My wife is out of town, she would kill me if she found out I used her dishes to make this crap, so yes it's all picked up (no evidence)

Last edited by Double-J; 11/10/2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11/10/2007, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

That is pretty cool, I have always wanted to try making my own. Where do you live?
Old 11/10/2007, 12:31 PM
Premium Member

Urbandale

The cool part is it feeds corals, herbivores, carnivores, pods etc... Food ranging form microscopic to bigger chunks.

On top of that it has selcon, garlic extract and, anti parasite stuff in the mix to keep your fish healthy
Old 11/10/2007, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

I am assuming that making your own was a savings over buying something prepacked(such as Rod's food-which your mixture resembles BTW) but it looks to me like you have quite an investment in your finished product. How much do you think it cost you per package if I may ask!
Old 11/10/2007, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

duplicate
Old 11/10/2007, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

I'll bet that was a smelly process!

A+ on the cleanup! My first thought was how on earth did he get permission from his wife to use all her nice kitchen things... Looks like a great mix of foods!

Anna
Old 11/10/2007, 12:50 PM
Premium Member

It does cost a bunch to make but it will last me a while. In the long run I save money by making my own. Plus I can fine tune the ingrediance that want in there and make sure it's all premium stuff.
Old 11/10/2007, 01:04 PM
Premium Member

This is a great post but please bring it over it to our club forum....
http://www.greateriowareefsociety.or...8/Default.aspx

eins
Old 11/10/2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

I thought about buying some fresh Salmon & including it in my mix.
Old 11/10/2007, 01:46 PM
Premium Member

I've used salmon before, just not for this batch.
Old 11/10/2007, 02:20 PM
metalheadreefnerd

Looking good man! I wonder how the margaritas are gonna taste next time you make them.....

www.greateriowareefsociety.org
Old 11/10/2007, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

I've been thinking this is the route I go once I actually need to feed a whole reef full of livestock - and luckily I have a little dorm fridge about 5 feet away from my tank so I can crank that up and use it as a freezer (I'd never have the extra room in our kitchen freezer, nor would my GF probably allow it to "touch" our other food).

I obviously won't be making this much at a time since my tank is considerably smaller than JJ's (or Melev's who has a good recipe for food as well) and I'll also probably have to buy my own dishes.

JJ - how much do you feed at a time? I've been contemplating using icecube trays to freeze the food in for easy portion control - although I'll have to find some trays with smaller than standard cube sizes cause I don't think my tank won't need that much per feeding...
Old 11/10/2007, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

With my homemade food, I just break off little chunks to feed my tank. I've seen people use eggcrate (light diffuser) to make little cubes - thought that was a cool idea!

Anna
Old 11/10/2007, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, it's all depending on the tank size, I probably feed my tank a gallon bag every 2 or three weeks.
Old 11/10/2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

When I make my own mix, I roll the mix in a sheet of nori, put them on a cookie tray in the frig and once they've frozen, wrap them in saran wrap and put them all into a gallon ziplock. When it's time to feed, I have a pair of kitchen sizzors and I cut off the portion I want. When I unwrap a one of the cigars, I put it in a smaller ziplock and cut away until it's gone. That way it doesn't get on my hands and I can control how much I feed each time.
Old 11/11/2007, 11:37 AM
*Pico Freak*

I've been looking for a good recipe for a while now and this one seems to fit the bill but I need a much smaller form haha thanx. I know alot of people who would benefit from this. This should be a sticky.

-Chris-
Old 11/11/2007, 05:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AVALover5498
I've been looking for a good recipe for a while now and this one seems to fit the bill but I need a much smaller form haha thanx. I know alot of people who would benefit from this. This should be a sticky.

-Chris-
Thanx, Its definitely something you can add or subtract from. Like I said this is my third batch, I think I'm going to stick with it. If I had to do it again I would add more NORI. I was going to put 50 sheets in it but they didn't arrive on time.
Old 11/11/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered my member

That is quite a recipe. I made some homemade food once myself, and it really did stink. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime again, though I don\t know if I will use quite the extensive list of ingredients that you used.

Do you think it pollutes your tank anymore than say your standard store bought frozen fish food? People always say to strain the water out of those but I never do.

JJ, do you mind if we add your recipe to the GIRS website?

Chris

Oh and I dont know if you make it to clive area, but Wong's asian store on 100th has 100 sheet nori packs for very cheap.
Old 11/11/2007, 08:30 PM
Premium Member

Sure you can add it to GIRS. You can add the pics also,

I don't think it pollutes it that bad, My params are all in good shape