Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/04/2007, 01:28 AM
Moved On

I put the unions right up to the pump for the closed loop, so it is easy to take off line and clean / service the pump.

I also put unions on all outlets from the four way. (including right under the inlet to teh drum.

Also, if you open up the four way to change the drum, will the water run out of the returns, and if so, during startup will it generate air bubbles again?

I put shutoff valves up close to teh tank bulkheads, thinking it might be better if I was able to isolate the tank there (minimize the mount of pipe that could leak or if it did, ability to cap it close to the tank..

And then the drain line, ... I think in your case, I would have opted for spa flex, so you could move, or adjust the drainline into the splash areaS),, hindsight is great . Aint it??
Old 03/04/2007, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

Looks great. I have a half basement under my house so i opted for the display upstairs, besides that i don't think i could get anything to help me carry a 180 down a flight of stairs. I did put the sump in the basement which is nice the only noise i have upstairs is the water flowing over the overflows. Very relaxing. Your lucky you got it done when you did. In another year you kiddo will be "helping" you on those projects.
Old 03/04/2007, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by foshizzle
Looks like you have the blueline mounted directly to the wood stand. A mousepad under the pump might help with the noise
Yeah, Once I started it up and got everything running I went around and started tweaking I put some rubber under the pump, I also need to redo just about all the closed loop plumbing now to find out why it's cavitating....

Oops, my Premium Membership ran out...
Old 03/07/2007, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

Well, I broke the loop down and changed a few things. I added some more unions and removed all the teflon tape and replaced it with pipe dope. I only used the tape because I was impatient, even tho I expected to take everything apart to tweak. Building racecars over the years has taught me that things are hardly perfect from the get go!

I added I.O. salt on Saturday, I've been letting it mix. So far the pH is 8.24 and the specific gravity is 1.022. The skimmer is working nicely, it's pulling out drywall dust and other small particles.

Old 04/05/2007, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

Let There Be Rock! Bought 42 lbs of Fiji to start off with. Not real happy with the aquascaping so far, gonna keep working on it. I wanted a pillar of some kind, so I went to Modern Plastics and got a piece of 1/4" acrylic rod for $.97.

Old 04/05/2007, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

ahhhh......I love the crystal clear look of a new setup! Now if it could only remain that clean and still be functional.

Is your rock cured?
Old 04/05/2007, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

It's been curing at my LFS for about a month.

Old 04/10/2007, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

Aquascaping part 2. It's getting better.

A piece of live rock that has been in a bucket for 4 years, after a week in the water, starting to show sign of life!

Moonlights!

AquaC skimmer is starting to pull out some junk.

That's all for now. i'm working on a top off system for the sump, and building a reservoir for water changes. Just trying to be patient and let the cycle run it's course. Pretty stoked, this is my first tank in 4 years, feels good to be back.

Old 04/11/2007, 01:23 AM
Registered Member

Looking good! Soon I will be getting a 58 Gallon too can't wait to upgrade my 20 gallon tank. Although I am getting the cornor overflow one.
Old 04/11/2007, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

awesome!!! let's see some more pics a little further away.
Old 04/11/2007, 05:08 PM
Premium Member

looks great...i love it
Old 04/16/2007, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

Got my water change system almost done. No more buckets! I borrowed the idea from WaterBugJenn Can't wait to get this thing mixin'!

I will take another full shot soon, I still need to pick out carpeting

Old 04/16/2007, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

That's a pretty slick water-mixing setup!

Not sure if you're talking about carpenting for the tank room or main room, but I'd stick with the tile in the tank room...
Old 04/16/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

Thanx hero. Yeah the main room is getting carpet. I'm leaving the ugly green tiles in the tank room. They were in the entire half of the basement when we moved in. Would have been alot of work to tear 'em out.

Oh, and the white duct tape holding up the pvc is temporary til I get some clamps. It made it handy for mock up tho!

Old 04/16/2007, 08:45 PM
Copperband Butterfly

Can you explain a bit more how you set that water change system up? Is that for fresh saltwater and just pump it into the main tank? You said no buckets though, do you have a way to drain it also like that?

Thanks.
Old 04/16/2007, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

t5, you're right. I should have clarified.

This is the new water side of the system. The big blue rubbermaid bucket is for new saltwater.The pump will mix it, and also feed it up to the tank. I incorporated a drain into my closed loop plumbing to take water out, without having to start a siphon.

Here's a pic of the drain on the closed loop. You can see how there is a "T" right after the pump, which leads to the valve and the drain. It should work...I hope!

Old 04/16/2007, 09:43 PM
Copperband Butterfly

That is nice.
Old 04/19/2007, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

I envy all of you guyz with in- wall tanks.
Old 04/19/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

CT, this is my first in wall. It's been one hell of an experience so far. I estimated that the room construction cost about $4500 in materials. I stopped counting long ago. Thanx to alot of Home Depot gift cards it didn't hurt my wallet too bad! I can only imagine what it would have cost to have a contractor do it.

Old 04/22/2007, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

Lookin' good, Matt - Impressive skills! Congratulations on a project well done.

Gregg
Old 04/22/2007, 05:47 PM
Premium Member

Matt - nice setup! How are you connecting the mixed water from the rubbermaid into the tank?
Old 04/22/2007, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

Real nice setup...question though, were your mag pump is, were does that piping go to bring it back to the tank??

And your water change system how is all that work? I like that idea by the looks and think I want to build one
Old 04/22/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

Thanx everyone!

The mixed water gets pushed from the Mag 7 out of the barrel, and through the PVC pipe on the wall up and over to the tank. When the valve on the right is open, like in the pic, the water just circulates around in the barrel. When you close the right valve, and open the left valve, the water gets pumped up to the tank.

Old 04/22/2007, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Great build!!
Old 04/23/2007, 05:14 AM
Registered Member

The tank and your construction looks great. I only hope mine turns out half as nice. I hope your wife appreciates it as much as my wife is looking forward to having her living room back. I'm almost there.