Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/02/2006, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

newbie bulkhead help please !! (pic)

Hi! This is the bulkhead that came with my tank. I'm embarassed to ask, but does the pipe side go inside the tank as part of a standpipe, or is it supposed to be outside the tank as part of the drain plumbing? Also, the gasket goes on the inside right? And I've seen mixed advice as far as siliconing the gasket....so should I?

Thanks for the help!!

Amy

Old 06/02/2006, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

taking an educated guess ,now remember this is just a guess, it look as though the threaded part would go inside the tank or on the bottom of a overflow and the "white part" would be where you would connect a hose (flexible tubing).that would be my guess .the best thing to do would be to contact the manufactuer. good luck!
Old 06/02/2006, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

Thanks! Anyone have more than an educated guess? Please?!

Does the nut go inside or outside the tank????????

Thanks! Amy
Old 06/02/2006, 07:55 PM
Nothing original for now

The nut goes on the inside. Put the o-ring on the bulkhead and slide the bulkhead through the hole from the inside out. I don't use silicone, that's what the o-ring is for. Hopefully that elbow isn't connected? It's small in this pic but you can see how the threads are on the bottom of the tank.
Old 06/02/2006, 08:14 PM
Team RC Member

The 90 degree elbow and pipe goes inside. You always install a bulkhead so the flange or molded in raised portion goes inside with the gasket, this is the sealing surface The screw on nut always goes outside. Do not use any sealant or lubricant as it can cause the gasket to want to squish out. Do not overtighten.
Old 06/02/2006, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

OK, I'm swallowing all pride....I am an idiot......

How does the nut go on the inside AND the bulkhead slides through the hole from the inside? If the threads are on the bottom of the tank in the picture, then the nut goes on the outside, right?

The elbow is connected, the tank is drilled in the back and the elbow could be used as either part of the standpipe or part of the drain plumbing, either would work - I'm just unsure of whether or not it's important for the nut to be in or out......out sure would be easier to tighten!

Thanks! Amy
Old 06/02/2006, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, my last reply was made at the same time as AZDesertRat, just wasn't clear about the reply before that......

Thanks!! Amy
Old 06/02/2006, 08:21 PM
Team RC Member

The bulkhead does slide through from the inside but the nut goes on the outside ALWAYS.
Old 06/02/2006, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

Nut goes on the outside, gasket on the inside (the 'wet' side).
Old 06/02/2006, 08:43 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42

The gasket is ALWAYS on the wet side.

You want it to be in this order:

Pipe - Flange - Gasket - Glass - Nut - remaing threads
Old 06/02/2006, 09:49 PM
Premium Member

Guys... I hate to disagree....

IT does not matter what the "WET SIDE" is. The gasket MUST go on the FLANGE side of the bulkhead. It's that simple. The seal against the flange is what makes a bulkhead water tight. It does not matter if the flange is on the dry side or the wet side.

Putting the gasket on the NUT side will allow water to seep through the threads and bypass the seal.

That said, lets imagine that the tank is PLYWOOD with epoxy on one side and unfinished plywood on the other. In this case the FLANGE and GASKET would need to be on the epoxy side. If it were on the other side (the plywood side), water would be in contact with the thickness of the plywood and contact the unfinished side that is in contact with the gasket....

I hope that makes sense
Old 06/03/2006, 09:17 AM
Nothing original for now

I just reread my post. Sorry for the confusion in the first sentence, the nut should go on the outside. It was right in my head, my fingers just typed the wrong word!!
Old 06/03/2006, 09:25 AM
Premium Member

Also... you NEVER need silicone, that is what the gasket is for!