Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/17/2006, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

SeaClone help!

Hi

I just got a SeaClone from my friend. There is no instructions.
What I did is take a maxi-jet 1200, connect the output to the lower part of the SeaClone unit (hang-on type), and the water comes out from the top back to the tank.

This seems to be cool that water just make a trip. However, I can't see that it is working. Am I missing something? I am new to this hobby and this is my first time seeing the protein skimmer. I don't know what to expect.

My friend did tell me that I need to pump air into it. He does not know much about it. My questions is how and where?

This is funny part. Initially, I thought since Max-Jet has a outlet for air. What happened if I put a air tub into it. I did. Guess what. The water comes out from there and all over the floor. I had to stop everything and clean up the wood floor.

My question is now if I need to pump air into the SeaClone? If so, where? If it is going to be near the in-take of the SeaClone, I would have to change my hose to put a junction with air outlet. Even if I have done so, would I need air pump? Will the water just come back through the air outlet?

Thank for the help.
Old 05/17/2006, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

that seaclone should have come with a maxi jet ask your friend if he still has the one that came with it....other than that....there is a little strainer thing with a little nipple that you place an air hose on (then you place the black circular sponge on that same part) and hook that up to the inlet side of the pump....then what you do is hook up the clear hose to the maxijet outlet and connect the other part to the lower part of the seaclone skimmer...going back to the air hose you shud have a black air tuning valve ( skimmer needs this to work properly) fitted on the end of this hose assuming you have made all the connections turn on your skimmer and use the venturi valve (air tuning valve) to allow the spinning vortex to produce a good amount of bubbles, this will take a few tries so be patient.
Old 05/17/2006, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

i HAD one of those ,do yourself a favor and get rid of it before the headaches begin ,even though you gopt it for free (at least i hope so) spend the money and get a better skimmer . it's noisy and you have to adjust it constantly to get it to work right ,did i mention it's noisy?
Old 05/17/2006, 07:22 PM
Premium Member

mine wasnt noisy.. it was right next to my head at night as well and it wasnt noisy. my super skimmer 65 makes more noise than the seaclone.
i do agree the seaclone wont get you very good results unless you hit the sweet spot. even then as water chemestry changes, your skimmers abilitys will change and you will have to re-adjust it. i cant say for sure if salinity affects the skimmer but i do know water level does.

if you have a constaint water level then go with a super skimmer. but first research all the other skimmers and search for product reveiws. if you decide to get another skimmer then make sure it fits your needs.

im useing my seaclone skimmer to run water over my purigen bags, other than that i would probly throw it away (if nobody on ebay wants it )
Old 05/17/2006, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

You really dont have much to work with. (Sorry)
Old 05/17/2006, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

Wow

I didn't know all these. Thanks for the advise. Yes. I did get it for free. I guess there is nothing much I can complaint about.

I felt comfort when the unofficial President of the SEACLONE haters club visisted this thread. LOL

Thanks again.