Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/05/2006, 04:15 PM
Premium Member

Following this thread I decided to put 1/2 Teaspoon of sugar in my tank to see what would happen. Well the ORP dropped about 60 points and the Glass had a nice coating of Algae on it within 12 hours.
I think it made the Green Algae grow about 3 times faster than before! I have very low Nitrates so maybe I just fed my starving Algae and they bloomed.

Please don't use my results as any indication of what sugar or Vodka will do, because I don't have a high enough Nitrate level to display meaningful results.
Old 05/05/2006, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

Danorth, you said in an earlier post that your nitrate in the 55 gal went down ~15ppm, and in a later post on day 2 said no noticable change in tested nitrates. Did your nitrate change, or not?
Old 05/05/2006, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

how much sugar are you using compared to the amount of vodka,in other words if your using 1-1.5ml per 20 gals how much sugar per 20 gals?and does it have to be vodka? what about tequlia or rum or other clear liquor ,or maybe even jack ??? if i try this i'm thinking about using the sugar due to the expense ,i can get 5 lbs of sugar for about a 1.00
Old 05/05/2006, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

well I am using sugar in my 92G tank, I am using about one teaspoon daily, so I would say 1/4 of a teaspoon per 25G
Old 05/05/2006, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cord
Danorth, you said in an earlier post that your nitrate in the 55 gal went down ~15ppm, and in a later post on day 2 said no noticable change in tested nitrates. Did your nitrate change, or not?
Hi, there are 2 topics going on one thread. Just look for my posts.

Day 1 - the begining before dosing- roughly 30 ppm nitrate
Day 2 - 24 hours after the first dose- roughly 15 ppm nitrate
Day 3 - 48 hours after the first done - still roughly 15 ppm nitrate

Day 4 - Saturday and won't be dosing or measuring
Day 5 - Sunday and won't be dosing or measuring.

Monday I will resume dosing and measuring.
Old 05/06/2006, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

Just an update to my tests

the nitrate levels have dropped to about 25ppm using 1.25 ml daily in my tank and am sure am seeing a noticeable difference in the algae, might just be me though will get water checked professionally tomorrow and let you knwo the results

Skimmer is still fine and about 3/4 full and holfding steady
Old 05/06/2006, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

Hey spidross, to make it less confusing, put your results on your thread only, and I'll keep my resullts only here. That way it makes more sense to someone just 'tuning in'. Cool?
Old 05/06/2006, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

yeah mate good with me as i said earlier didn't want to hijack your thread mate thats all if you are happy will post here
Old 05/06/2006, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

Just after i submitted that last post checked my skimmer, seems it is now starting to produce quite a bit of foam and have just had to empty. Wonder if this is the start of the "crazy"skimming stage, will post water test results tomorrow

It is now day 3 with 1.25ml of vodka per day
Old 05/07/2006, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

Right have had my water checked again, bit of a shock

Here are the results

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
NITRATE - 80 (check possible cause after this)
PH - 8
Kh - 14
Calcium - 280
Phosphate 0
Conductivity - 60
Magnesium - 1260

As you can see from day 1 the nitrate went from 80ppm down to 25 after 2 days but having just got my water checked today was back up at 80ppm again. Also my calcium has dropped rapidly.

The reason my nitrate might have gone high again and produced a spoof result is i am missing a cleaner shrimp, they always hung out together but one is missing, now he might have crawled into the live rock somewhere i can't see him and died which is possible and could be decomposing.

Have just gone to 2ml now and see what happens, but all the fish seem fine and happy, am feeding normally and have not done anything else but the vodka. Will keep you posted, although i have noticed no cloudiness, skimmer is calm at the moment

Had to post this in my other thread to as people seem to be watching both
Old 05/08/2006, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

Right an update

Just went back to my shop for water tests after i discovered a death in the tank, was a bit worried reason being that i had upped my vodka addition last night from 1.25ml to 2ml.
Here are the new results and i was shocked so much i went home and got another sample and tested myself and i concur with theirs

Ammonia - 0.1
Nitrite - 0.1
Nitrate - 25
Ph - 8.2 (added some buffer yesterday)
Kh - 15
Calcium - 260 (brought it back up yesterday to 420)
Phosphate - 0
Conductivity - 60.1
Mg - 1240

I couldn't believe it the nitrates had dropped by 55 in a 24hour period and neither could the fish shop owner, he is also following my results closely as he is intending to do the same, as he has also been reading up on this subject to, with the fish in the shop's display tank. the only thing i have done different was to double my dose which i shall carry on doing for the next few days to see, the skimmer is now skimming one full cup per 24 hours approx
Old 05/08/2006, 11:49 AM
Moved On

Spidross, don't you have your own thread to update? Why dod you need to steal this one?
Old 05/08/2006, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Day 6 15 ppm still in the 55 / 80 ppm in the 40 (finally measurable)

Had an issue in the 55. No heater plugged in, that is fine, but the power compacts heated the water up to 96 degrees. Since I am not here on the weekends, I am not sure if the timer stopped working, but regardless, the water was 96 when I came in. Niger is dead, lei trigger is dead, titan trigger survived and moved to the 40 gallon, the eel survived and is still in the 55 with the lights off to gradually cool down. Son of a 8itch.
Old 05/08/2006, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

man sorry to hear that....
Old 05/08/2006, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

damn i am so sorrry i totally misread your post danorth AM SO SO SO SORRY i must have speed read it will keep my posts to my thread

REALLY SORRY
Old 05/08/2006, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

No sweat man, just trying to keep it simple.
Old 05/08/2006, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

I feel really bad mate am so sorry, will just tune in to read yours from now

Sorry sorry sorry sorry
Old 05/08/2006, 02:53 PM
Premium Member

I would wave a flag of caution about this whole thing, I don't want to hijack the thread, but as I posted before I added Sugar to my Tank just to see what would happen and so far about a week afterwards I have only had bad things happen. Some of my SPS coral started to grow algae on the tips and a few other corals have gone into retreat.

I am guessing here, but from what I can see this whole Vodka thing is for people who have really bad Nitrate and Algae problems. If your tank is running good this might not be somehing you want to try. I still would like to stress that I am no expert and only tried a little sugar, so it may not be an accurate reflection of how the Vodka or Sugar will work on your tank but that's what happened in my case and I thought I should let other potential testers know.
Old 05/08/2006, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the input. I don't have sps or lps corals.
Old 05/08/2006, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

Started my own experiment yesterday with a friends 120g reef tank, which has a fairly bad hair algae problem. We sat in front of the tank and consumed vodka at a slow but steady pace, hoping to see some improvement in the tank. We found that...

After 4 shots, the tank began looking better...
After 6 shots, it was the best reef tank either of us had ever seen
After 8 shots, we had TWO reef tanks, which was even better!
After 10 shots, we found ourselfes in the perfect position top check our light bulbs, looking up through the water. Tank looked OK I think, although I had never noticed how realistically the water heaved and rolled before.

I should note that these positive effects seemed very temporary. In fact, the next morning neither of us could get anywhere near the skimmer without becoming violently ill.
Old 05/08/2006, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

Wow anus! LOL What an amazing scientific study. Very risky however. Please......Kids DON'T try this at home. It could result in death by parental beating or time in juvenile delinquency center!
Old 05/09/2006, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

LOL! I almost fell out of my chair at that one. Props.
Old 05/09/2006, 02:29 PM
VILP

As much as some of you may have found Opsanus's post amusing, let's try to keep this thread on topic and allow the original thread poster to share his experiences with us.

Thanks,

Reefcherie
RC Moderator
Old 05/12/2006, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

So is that it? experiment over?
Old 05/12/2006, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

wow 2 responses off-topic and busted by the police. i didnt know things were so uptight around here. It has been duly noted. Sorry about that thread starter vodka dosing dude. well, this apology now brings up the total to 5 off topic (not including orignal). I better not post an apology to my apology. I declare from henceforth it will not happen agian on this thread.