Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/23/2006, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

Wut to feed a Humu Humu?

hey guys i was wondering wut can i try to feed my humu humu. i got him on friday and the lfs just got him on thursday. ive tried silversides and squid. im going to try some shrimp 2m. he is still kinda shy, he hides behind some rocks but wen the light goes off he ventures out a little more. is it normal for a trigger to be shy? i thought triggers were bold by nature. i have him in my 50 for now by himself, i wanna add some size on him before i transfer him to the bigger tank. rite now he is about 4 or 5" big. wen should i start to worry about him not eating? are there any foods that triggers perfer? any info would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 04/23/2006, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

humus will generally eat almost anything u put in the tank. Yours probably is just stressed and not comfortable in his new home yet. I wouldnt worry that hes not eating unless it goes on for over a week.

Try krill, shrimp, cockle, mussel, mysis, formula foods, pellets and brine. I know brine isnt the most nutritious food but it gets fish eating if they are reluctant to feed at first.
Old 04/24/2006, 04:31 AM
Registered Member

if he isnt eating after about 3 days I would try some live glass shrimp. I have yet to see a carnivore turn one down. after that he should eat without a problem. after he starts eating keep him on meaty foods and supplement with some sort of vitamin like selcon or vita chem
Old 04/24/2006, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

like stykthyn said live shrimp, theres no way a trigger will refuse them if hes healthy
Old 04/24/2006, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

Mine eats mysis, krill, diced shrimp, clams, flakes and even seaweed selects! Such a beautiful fish.
Old 04/24/2006, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

you could also try some formula one or two either in the frozen form or in the pellets . I have never had a problem with triggers eatting live feeders. try glass shrimp as said
Old 04/24/2006, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

i get raw shrimp from the local market and chop it up he loves that and just about anythig else ,about the only thing my huma won't eat is mysis ,i can't figure out why.
i did have one huma that i took a chance on (he ate a litle in the store and looked kind crappy) he ate ok for two days then he quit eating and went and hid somewhere never to be found .once they start eating they don't quit! so as long as you know it's eating you'll be ok. good luck
Old 04/25/2006, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

I have fed live minnows before. It's probably not the best to feed freshwater fish to your humu humu, but he seemed to love it.
Old 04/26/2006, 12:34 AM
Registered Member

well he still hides wen i walk towards the tank. i spend 15minutes dangling a peice of market shrimp in the tank and he just looks at it. it looks like he is scared of it or something. i'll try some live ghost shrimp 2m. just for the record, triggers are hardy fish right?
Old 04/26/2006, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

triggers are damn near bullet proof.
my niger likes live mollies
Old 04/26/2006, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

well i got some ghost shrimp today and put some in the tank. the trigger never came out of the rocks. i can see him in the back of the tank just chillen. he swims out a little bit but doesnt roam the tank at all. i then put another ghost shrimp in and left the room. i was lookin in through a crack in the door for like 5minutes and he still wasnt interested. its the 5th day of him refusing to eat. any other ideas?
Old 04/26/2006, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

well i came home from dinner tonite and i found the trigger dead. it was laying on the bottom lifeless. wen i took him out it looked like his stomach was sunken in. he was a great fish even tho i only had for such a short time. RIP little one. thank you all for the advice u have given.
Old 04/27/2006, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

I am sorry to hear this, triggers are generally one of the hardier fish you can buy
Old 04/27/2006, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

Some fish just happen to be sick. I had a similar problem with my first picasso. My current trigger fits the hardy category for sure! Good luck next time.