Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/07/2008, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

live sand----> next step after????

I have had live sand in my 55 gal tank for about a week now i am begining to see little brown spots in the sand.. i believe this is a good sign... i don't plan on adding fish yet but after my next water change in a day i want to attend to phase two... which is i believe live rock? or i have heard that some new tank starter get damsels to increase the cycle and help balance the PH or ammonia levels. This tank is going to have fish live rock and a few soft corals... that is the plan.. whats the next step???
Old 01/07/2008, 08:19 PM
RC Mod

There's no value to adding damsels for the cycling process. I'd just add the live rock and let the system stabilize.
Old 01/07/2008, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

Adding fish to start a tank cycling works but at the same time unnecessary stresses the fish out. There are many methods to start a tank cycling, live rock has proven to be the best method for me.
Rio 2600 on a Scwd return

LIGHTING
4x36w Pl
2x30w PC
Lotts of natrual sunlight
Old 01/07/2008, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

Live rock has plenty of material on and in it to feed the cycling bacteria. No need for cycling fish.