Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Greater Iowa Reef Society

Old 11/07/2007, 11:59 PM
Give me some sugar Baby!

OT dead beat ebayer...

Does anybody know how to deal with a deadbeat ebayer? This is non-fish related as I bought an item from somebody october 17th and was told i'd get a tracking number, but haven't received anything! So what are the steps in recovering either an item or your money, and is it even possible?

"This is my BOOMSTICK"~~~Bruce Campbell
Old 11/08/2007, 12:06 AM
hamster

Did you pay with paypal?

If you did, contest it in paypal. They'll ask the seller for a tracking number, which the seller will have to supply or you'll get your money back.

If you paid with a credit card, call the credit card company and explain it to them and you'll likely get your money back.

If you paid with a check or money order, you may be PMF.
Old 11/08/2007, 12:10 AM
Give me some sugar Baby!

It was through paypal, funny thing he just contacted me and said he'll get me a tracking by friday. So this dudsie better come through, he also said he'd refund my shipping costs.
I just want the item as it's what i've been seeking for awhile!

Old 11/08/2007, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

If i were you i wouldnt wait too long to file the complaint, you have 30days from date of transaction to do so otherwise you are screwed.
Old 11/08/2007, 10:16 AM
Registered my member

There are exact instructions on ebay for such a situation. I would read them so you don't lose out.
Old 11/08/2007, 11:07 AM
Give me some sugar Baby!

He still has until friday to at least get me a tracking number.

Old 11/08/2007, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Doesn't hurt to file a complaint with Paypal. With just the complaint, you can still try and work it out with the seller. It sometimes lights a fire under their arses when they get a complaint filed. More than likely, you won't get a tracking # by Friday, just my gut feeling, and then you can escalate it to a dispute on Paypal, but you first have to file a complaint before you can file a dispute. I'd say they've had plenty of time to mail you whatever and I'd file a complaint, it's very easy to do.
Old 11/08/2007, 06:05 PM
You did what?

File the complaint within the time allowed but don't expect any help from Paypal....If you have a few hours go to the website www.paypalsucks.com and read all the horror stories.
I still use Paypal myself but not for anything more than I can afford to lose.

You do have a sure fire option. Look up the phone number for the local police in his area and give them a call, Most of the time they will contact him and let him know that he is committing fraud if he doesn't hold up his end of deal.
Old 11/09/2007, 03:12 AM
Give me some sugar Baby!

how would you get the phone number?

Old 11/09/2007, 11:04 AM
Registered my member

Look up what town he is in by his address and then use yellowpages or dexknows to find the ph. number of the po-po.

Last edited by tibbs2; 11/09/2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11/09/2007, 03:52 PM
Give me some sugar Baby!

good call, he sent me a message that i will get my tracking tonight later so if I wake up and check and don't have a tracking, then i'm filing a complaint and getting the phone number like you suggested!

Old 11/09/2007, 04:52 PM
Premium Member

Ahhhhhh the ol' I'll get ya a tracking number by friday trick! it's old, but still works. He is just holdin you off while he packs all his belongings on his moped and moves across the country. With your money. He has probably sold that same item a hundred times.

Maro1
Old 11/09/2007, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

Just wanted to add, that I've had good luck with Paypal getting money returned to me, although I'm sure there are cases where that didn't happen.
Old 11/09/2007, 05:49 PM
Registered my member

Quote:
Originally posted by phishcrazee
Just wanted to add, that I've had good luck with Paypal getting money returned to me, although I'm sure there are cases where that didn't happen.

Was it though ebay? From what I've heard paypal usually wont' do anything if it is not bought on ebay.
Old 11/09/2007, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

Yes, through ebay. They recovered almost all of the money I thought I would never see again and they did it pretty quick too. I've never filed a claim with them that wasn't through ebay, so maybe then it would be different, I dunno?
Old 11/09/2007, 06:21 PM
*Pico Freak*

Good luck with this. It's sad to know that there are alot of people out there like this guy taking peoples money. It's just awful.

-Chris-
Old 11/10/2007, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

so it's 11:00 on friday night... did you get the tracking number?????
Old 11/12/2007, 12:29 AM
Give me some sugar Baby!

Hell no I didn't have time this weekend to get to him. He did send me a message saying that his G/F shipped it out for him and he'd get me one as soon as he talks to her. So at 12 noon tomorrow is the new and final deadline.
I've been more then accomodating for this dudzie and He basically has 12 hours now before he gets a slap on the wrists.
He had like 91 for a feedback with like 93 and a 97% positive rating so I figured he wasn't a deadbeat. But then realized this could have all come from purchasing not selling.

Now that I think about it I might just file the complaint now just to be a dick....lol
Naw i'll wait and see what happends at noon.

Old 11/12/2007, 09:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by acidlittle

He had like 91 for a feedback with like 93 and a 97% positive rating so I figured he wasn't a deadbeat. But then realized this could have all come from purchasing not selling.
That's actually a pretty poor rating........ If he only has 91 feedback total, but he's already at 97%, that means he has several negative feedback. Negative feedback is fairly hard to get, because people fear retaliatory negative feedback etc., so it's usually only left after someone's really mad. I won't buy anything from anyone with less than 99%

You should just go ahead and file the dang complaint already A complaint is really not that bad for him, it doesn't show up anywhere that other ebayers can see etc., but it might actually motivate the seller to do something. I think they are playing you.......
Old 11/12/2007, 12:34 PM
Give me some sugar Baby!

He's got half an hour then i file...he only had 2 negs left and one was nuetral. So I dunno what I was thinking. I will not leave him any feedback whatsoever........or i might blast him...
All i want is my Certified Authentic George Brett Autographed Jersey! That's all, this isn't that difficult.

Old 11/13/2007, 09:26 AM
*Pico Freak*

Quote:
Originally posted by acidlittle
He's got half an hour then i file...he only had 2 negs left and one was nuetral. So I dunno what I was thinking. I will not leave him any feedback whatsoever........or i might blast him...
All i want is my Certified Authentic George Brett Autographed Jersey! That's all, this isn't that difficult.
Oh, I thought this was something important like MH's or something reef related haha.....jk.

-Chris-
Old 11/13/2007, 11:30 PM
Give me some sugar Baby!

This is more important then a reef! I still have my 75 i'd trade for this jersey! lol

Old 11/14/2007, 02:57 PM
Give me some sugar Baby!

So at noon on monday I filed a dispute. The guy still has had no contact with me. How long would you wait til you escalated it to the paypal authorities?

Old 11/14/2007, 03:01 PM
Premium Member

Yesterday

Maro1