Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/23/2007, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

base rock cost to make price/lb.

i looked through the ultimate diy base rock thread. but i don't remember seeing the cost to make per lb. i think it was like $.10 cents a lb. am i right. i have a few months till i start my 75 gallon reef, so i'm thinking about doing half baserock/half live rock. anybody have any input?
Old 07/23/2007, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

go for it
marcorocks is good also
Old 07/23/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

I can't remember the price for pound either, and it probably depends on exactly what ingredients you use, but I've done some myself, and I don't think all the ingredients combined cost me more than $30 or so, and I probably have enough to make a couple hundred pounds of rock, so it's certainly going to be much cheaper than buying even base rock. If you get good with it (I really never did), you also have the added advantage of making the rock into the exact size and shape you want.

-Mike C.
Old 07/23/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Here's a breakdown of what I spent making my rock (which looks fantastic IMHO - thanks to Sunkool's recipe and method with a few tricks of my own):

$30 - 94lb bag of white portland cement (grey is cheaper but I like white better)
$25 ($5 each) 100lb bags of white silica play sand
$10 - 2 bags of mortons salt (the blue bag)

So about $65 for what I did. I made more than enough rock for my 90g tank and I still have 1/4 bag of cement and a lot of sand left (most of it was used to mold my rock).
Old 07/23/2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

I wonder what the price is when you toss the unacceptable peices, and your time...

its an interesting idea, but I am more than happy to get true baserock from marco for 2.50/dry pound. just looks like such a mess and alot of trial and error and waiting.

Id go 98% baserock and 2% liverock to seed and probably come out to the same price. a pebble with corraline will seed as well as 50% of your rock.
Old 07/23/2007, 10:53 PM
Brighter the better

i like doing diy rock cuz you can shape each rock in a salt mold to your liking and make evry rock have a cave. im doing some for my 125 now and i have 90lbs of real stuff to seed it with that has be in my 55 so im good on the seeding part. and by doing just the crystal saly and portland its like .12 per lb. but like stated earlyer time and water changes would drive it up to about .50 or so per lb i would think. plus its fun
Old 07/24/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by areze
I wonder what the price is when you toss the unacceptable peices, and your time...

its an interesting idea, but I am more than happy to get true baserock from marco for 2.50/dry pound. just looks like such a mess and alot of trial and error and waiting.

Id go 98% baserock and 2% liverock to seed and probably come out to the same price. a pebble with corraline will seed as well as 50% of your rock.
Lets say it takes a weekend. Whats that worth, $100? $200? So lets go with 200.

So $265 to make probably what 300-500lbs of rock in every shape and form you want. Versus 2.50/dry pound = $750 for 300lbs of dry base rock.

Still think it is will probably come out to the same price?
Old 07/24/2007, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

For me it would be worth the extra. So much to do, so little time to spend making DIY rock. Although I'd really love to do it. I even have a complete plan of rocks I was going to make. Of course, I could get rid of the four kids and that might give me more time :-)
Old 07/24/2007, 06:12 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by daven
I could get rid of the four kids and that might give me more time :-)
Or you could have them mix it! I hated doing that, worst part of the whole thing!
Old 07/24/2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by daven
For me it would be worth the extra. So much to do, so little time to spend making DIY rock. Although I'd really love to do it. I even have a complete plan of rocks I was going to make. Of course, I could get rid of the four kids and that might give me more time :-)
Yah sounds like you have a workforce at your disposal! LOL

It really doesn't take much. I made roughly 100lbs of test rock in a little less than an hour. Hardley even dented my supplies. And since it rains a lot here in Oregon, i just leave a tub out on my patio, it fills with rainwater and overflows. Nice and easy WC
Old 07/24/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by impur
Lets say it takes a weekend. Whats that worth, $100? $200? So lets go with 200.

So $265 to make probably what 300-500lbs of rock in every shape and form you want. Versus 2.50/dry pound = $750 for 300lbs of dry base rock.

Still think it is will probably come out to the same price?
I could show you where to get 500lbs of dry rock for 500$ but I dont think any of us need that much(yet?)

my real issue is a personal one, I dont think it looks all that good... but I admit I havent seen all thats been made, but I like organic looking shapes; and the agracrete rock that Ive seen ussually looks a little... man made. kinda like the foam stuff people use for a background. and that is different strokes for different strokes, I dont take anything away from anyone that likes that. just my opinion. I respect the effort, creativity, and most of all the responsiblity to the enviroment since it doesnt harm the natural reefs in any way. still Im vain and nothing can duplicate quality natural rock.
Old 07/24/2007, 09:42 PM
Premium Member

I made my rock with Pavestone Pulverized Limestone, crushed oyster shell and Portland Cement. My cost came out to be .13 cents a pound. My rock is about 3 years old and no problems to date. Here is a pic. The white rock is new rock the rest is 300 lbs of concrete rock and 40 of Fiji Prime.
Old 07/24/2007, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

Get some lights over that thing - it's awfully dark.
Old 07/24/2007, 11:36 PM
Premium Member

cool tank. rocks can't even be seen.
What about the surface area though?
Does it really compare to lets say Fiji skeleton?
I guess the filter can compensate right?
Old 07/25/2007, 05:29 AM
Premium Member

Most people can't tell what rock is the Fiji or concrete. The way the rock is made, I think the surface area is close.
I do not have a filter, I use a refigium only. I also do not use a skimmer.
I am not sure what you mean by rocks can’t be seen. Most of the concrete is up front and the Fiji is scattered through out it.
Old 07/25/2007, 06:49 AM
Premium Member

Yea, I know I need more light. So does Bloke. He knows that I have 3 MH setups that need to be installed but the canopy needs to be installed first.
Got to love your local reefers....
Old 07/26/2007, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by areze
I could show you where to get 500lbs of dry rock for 500$ but I dont think any of us need that much(yet?)

Could you give me the details on that 500 lbs for 500 dollars?

I have a couple buddies that may want to share in that deal.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 07/26/2007, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

contact marcorocks. his last auction about 2 weeks ago was 500lbs of rock at 500$. he'd take it up to 1000lbs also and he'd cover the additional freight.