Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2008, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

Euphyllia Question

Ok -- pretty basic question here but one I'm finding to be confused (or my googling skills are not great). What's the primary difference between the branching species of Euphillia and the nonbranching ones?

I'm thinking about adding a hammer or frogspawn. My LFS seems primarily to carry the branching versions. Other than the look -- I tend to like the look of divisa more than paradivisa -- is there any difference worth discussing.
Old 01/10/2008, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

Branching is what you see most often.

Non-branching is sometimes called Wall-Euphylia. I like the branching myself but that's just opinion.
Old 01/10/2008, 03:41 PM
Team RC Member

Branching is much easier to frag than 'wall' type [non-branching]. If it gets too big, easy to trade for something else you want. My hammer is over 30 heads and starting to divide again---which will mean up to 60 heads. This can get out of hand.

Euphyllias are frogspawn/octopus coral, [2 slight variants]; hammer; and torch, which comes in fine-tentacle and fat-tentacle, plus the color variants.

Hammer and frogspawn don't recognize each other as strangers and can touch without harm. Torch is 'hot', and should be kept about 6 inches away from others on the 'downcurrent' side: it has quite a reach.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 01/10/2008, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
Branching is much easier to frag than 'wall' type [non-branching]. If it gets too big, easy to trade for something else you want.
Thanks much.

So, just to make I'm understanding right, a branching Euphyllia is more easy to control if it starts to grow out of hand?
Old 01/10/2008, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

pretty much... when fragging wall types you have to deal with the tissue where as branching types you can just wait for them to grow out and just cut at the skeleton.

A branching one will grow like this I > V > W (like a tree... they will split then grow then split then grow....)

A wall version will grow like this > I > II > III (just keep splitting and growing new heads but never really separating from each other).
Old 01/10/2008, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

Anecdotally I've heard that the wall hammers and frogspawns are more difficult to keep was well. I would imagine this is because the tissue is connect so that if a disease like brown jelly hits any part of it, you've got a huge problem.