Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 01/03/2008, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

My obsession
#1 scolymia
#2 fungia
#3 everything else

We live with each other, not for ourselves - Protect our planet
Old 01/03/2008, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

A couple of shots of the Heliofungia in my 20L.

at night

overhead shot from a few months ago.

Last edited by SPS20; 01/03/2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01/04/2008, 12:19 AM
Free Digital Coral Guide

I really like the first picture. Never been too much of a Heliofungia fan though since they dont acclimate or survive very well in captivity. Dont know many people who've had one too long.
Old 01/04/2008, 06:10 AM
Registered Member

So they are okay being close together like Viper has them? Some are even overlapping and they don't mind? Cause that means I have room for more!
Old 01/04/2008, 10:02 AM
Free Digital Coral Guide

The cycloseris and fungias can fraternize without stinging each other but if they overlap each other for too long they can still locally bleach out.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

So it sounds like they can kiss but not hug! Hugs can lead to adverse consequences but only in the hugging spot ... Cool -- I am looking for more!
Old 01/04/2008, 10:51 AM
Free Digital Coral Guide

Quote:
Originally posted by Mental1
Hugs can lead to adverse consequences but only in the hugging spot ... Cool --
Are we still talking about corals?
Old 01/04/2008, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

of course .. this is a family site ...

not to say the corals won't be

Old 01/04/2008, 07:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coralite
Man that's what I'm talking about. I knew there had to be another Fungiid lover out there. thanks for sharing the pics of super sweet specimens. That fuschia Cycloseris is freakin insane. I think the first green one you posted could be a small F. paumotensis like my avatar. if it stays oval shaped and elongate with strong stripes than it likely is a Paumotensis.

And the blue squamosa is not bad either.
Thanks. Yep I think you're right about my green fungia. It looks pretty much exactly like yours as well.

Thanks Richard!
Old 01/05/2008, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I really like the first picture. Never been too much of a Heliofungia fan though since they dont acclimate or survive very well in captivity. Dont know many people who've had one too long.
Yeah, they are very touchy, but it has got to be my favorite coral in the whole tank. So, far i've had it about 6 months, and it has grown a bit in that time. It gets HUGE at night, and eats more than any coral i've ever had before. I think thats the key to keeping them long-term, personally: feeding the hell out of them. I have also noticed that this coral gets extremely unhappy if the Alk should drop at all. I don't understand why, but low Alk seems to be a real problem for this coral, more so than for most corals. This thing is more sensitive than any of my acros, but its worth it, I love watching the tentacles sway in the current.
Old 01/05/2008, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

Old 01/06/2008, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

This thread continues to grow & become more spectacular.
Just found an orange Fungia at the LFS. If its there on payday this week, it comes home with me!

Matthew
Old 01/08/2008, 10:35 AM
Free Digital Coral Guide

Mr294, that is a really nice yellow and pink Halomitra you got there. Those things can grow huge so make sure to give it plenty of room.

I am joetbs's place so I hope to post some additional shots of what he posted in the next couple of days.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:36 AM
RC Mod

Awesome pics everyone!

Fungi'ds are my alltime favorite coral. This is because one of the first corals I owned was a fungia. It grew to the size of a small dinner plate, and spawned every fall in my tank. That thing was like a pet to me.

I keep several now, but none that I would call rare or spectacular:

Here is my baby. He popped off of a friend's anthocaulli, and was the size of a dime when I got him... So tiny, I kept him in a teacup on the sandbed for a while since the current would blow him around. He is 4" now:

Then I picked this guy up from a MO site, but I haven't seen the green spread much like Coralite's(I took that pic of his, that coral was even more amazing in person). I think my lighting is too intense. I think lower lighting stimulates the green pigments more. This coral is still neat to me, since an injury in the distant past seems to have caused it to have multiple mouths. pic from store I purchased it at:

Then, here's my halomitra. Not the prettiest, but neat to me for it's unusual nature. I plan on moving this year, and reducing my coral numbers. This guy will get a much large space to grow, when I thin the herd. I would like to grow him out as much as I can, and they get quite big:

And then, there's what I *think* is a Diaseris(Jake?). This is a very old pic of it in my old tank. Note the little fungia is an older pic of the Fungia above:

I'm still on the hunt for a blue fungia, and a red one. Still need a litho' for my collection too.

Last edited by Mark; 01/08/2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Mr294, that is a really nice yellow and pink Halomitra you got there. Those things can grow huge so make sure to give it plenty of room.

I am joetbs's place so I hope to post some additional shots of what he posted in the next couple of days.
Unfortunately the Halomitra was sold along with all my other corals when I took a break from the hobby a couple years ago. It did grow quite a bit during the time I had it, but nothing like my Heliofungia. My helio went from being a little bigger than a silver dollar to over 8" in diameter when fully expanded. Very neat coral, just hard to place with all those tentacles waving around my acros
Old 01/08/2008, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

A question regarding compatiabilty:

Someone had said above in this thread that fungia can touch each other without stinging, and that the only real issue is shading/abrading each other. Does this hold true for all fungiids? Specifically, if I move my orange Cycloseris next to my Heliofungia, will they sting each other? I fear maybe Heliofungia is too distantly related to other fungiids to not sting them. Are my fears unfounded? I would like to put them next to each other, but am reluctant to allow them to hurt each other, if they would.

Does anybody have any experience with this?
Old 01/08/2008, 09:56 PM
Moved On

Nice fungias! What is a avg price on a red plate?
Old 01/08/2008, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

Nice pic of the Halomitra. Question though: How does it hold up next to the E. ancora & that Gonipora? Pretty aggressive all 3 corals, do you ever have any problems?

Matthew
Old 01/10/2008, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

Well, I broke down & bought the orange Fungia I mentioned a couple of days ago. Wish me luck!

Matthew
Old 01/10/2008, 05:50 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheol
Nice pic of the Halomitra. Question though: How does it hold up next to the E. ancora & that Gonipora? Pretty aggressive all 3 corals, do you ever have any problems?

Matthew
Both corals do not seem to bother it. It's a pretty aggressive coral. It burned my bubble gum echino pretty badly. I'm hoping to move this year, and plan to dump a bunch of corals, in order to provide more room for the halomitra, as well as some other favorites. In the end, I would prefer a tank with fewer but larger corals.
Old 01/10/2008, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

A piece that i just got.

some that fell off.