Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/11/2008, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

Clown Fish might be dying HELP!!

Just yesterday i've been noticing one of my clown fish is laying sideways on top of the water. All my other fish are doing fine. What should I do? I should also mention that i have three clown fish.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

If all your water parameters are ok I would suggest setting up a quarantine tank and getting him in there asap. a 10 gallon walmart setup will work fine. and you can use water from your main tank if parameters are ok. I am not 100% sure about this but I am wondering since there are 3 clown fish if the 2 that are most likely paired are picking on the other one. Someone can probably help you out with this a little better. GOOD LUCK
Old 01/11/2008, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

I used to have clowns that would sleep on top of the water sideways, maybe thats what your seeing. check it out if it looks nipped or ragged

otherwise, ya, odd pairs of clowns are bad. lots of us made that mistake, but we learn. If you have a QT tank, put him in there, if not, see if you can bring it back to the LFS, or else give it away, or else watch it get beaten to death.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

I agree with the others that the two probably are pairing off and picking on the third. This can happen during the night behind the rocks and you won't even see it happening.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

Totally agree. When I went to make my wish list for my tank at the LFS the guy told me to only put in even numbers and even suggested adding them all at the same time. He told me that if I get an odd number usually the odd guy out will suffer
Old 01/11/2008, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

I would say I would agree with everyone. When I was looking to add my clowns to my tank, the store itself was running a special on buy 3 for $.

When I asked the guy at the LFS, he stated not to buy 3 because they will assume a hierarchy and one would most likely be a 3rd one out very shortly.

As it happens to turn out, the person who helped me with this is a breeder for clowns. He's on reefcentral, usually under the anemone and clownfish forum. His name is littlefish. You could possibly pose this question to him since he seems to have a lot of experience with them.

Hopefully, this will help some! Good luck!
Indigo Dotty/tr
2 button polyp
gsp
candy cane
zoa
ricordia rock
open brain
5 turbos
5 hermits
30 lb ls / 27lb lr
Old 01/11/2008, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by taillonjohn
I used to have clowns that would sleep on top of the water sideways, maybe thats what your seeing. check it out if it looks nipped or ragged

otherwise, ya, odd pairs of clowns are bad. lots of us made that mistake, but we learn. If you have a QT tank, put him in there, if not, see if you can bring it back to the LFS, or else give it away, or else watch it get beaten to death.
My maroon clown does the same. Sleeps at the top and is almost completely sideways. I put a magfloat right under him so that he doesn't have to move soo much and can just rest on top of it during the night.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

THat is really interesting
Good luck with your clown. Do you have any anemones or hairy mushrooms in the tank that the fish host in? Just curious.
Old 01/12/2008, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cr8signs
THat is really interesting
Good luck with your clown. Do you have any anemones or hairy mushrooms in the tank that the fish host in? Just curious.
I don't, just a FO tank. I was thinking of getting one of those fake plastic anemones.