Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05/17/2004, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

Pictures - 800 gallon reef - 7+ years in operation

The following are pictures taken this weekend of my 800 gallon reef.

Please keep the following points in mind in looking at these pictures:

1. I spent about 1 year planning this reef, which has been in continuous operation for 7+ years now;

2. My theme throughout has been to try, in so far as possible, to create a "window" on the ocean;

3. I am more concerned with the overall look of the "window" than I am with the display of specific corals;

4. Apart from a few tasks that were clearly beyond me, such as the actual on-site assembly of the glass and the electrical work, I did the majority of the work
myself. I also maintain it.

A. The reef looking from the left side of the tank:

B. The reef looking from the right side of the tank. (the wall immediately to the left of the tank is covered with a full length mirror which creates the reflection)

C. The left side of the reef:

D. The middle portion of the reef:

E. School of tangs over mid-right portion of reef;

F. The right side of reef:

G. Overview of area where reef located

H. The tank on the right side of this picture is a second reef (225) which originally housed my first reef and which is now slowly being converted into my "Quiet Reef"
- - intended to house animals that are unlikely to survive in the Main Reef.
The large reef can be seen on the left hand side of this picture (with the accompanying reflection).