Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/15/2005, 11:54 AM
Premium Member

Hop I'm so happy to hear that you chose one of our names. Austin was my beloved Balinese cat. I am mainly a dog person but this cat was like a dog. He wanted to curl up on your lap and be cuddled constantly. He played fetch and tag and he would come running to you when you called him. He cuddled with and groomed the Chihuahuas too. I have had several non cat people fall in love with him and ask if they can take him home.

Please post more pictures of your Austin. Enjoy your new little ball of fur.
Old 08/23/2005, 01:58 PM
Carpe Noctem

OK quick update for those that are interested... A few more parts have come in and I think aside from the rest of the plumbing and two more fans, everything is on track and on hand. I had to add a second drain from the fuge into the sump as the single 1 1/2" drain was pretty close to maxed out with the skimmer alone. Otherwise the sink should be plumbed this week and the electrical should be finished up.

I got a call from James at Envision yesterday and he told me that the tank was done and should be shipped today!!!! Not sure how long I should expect the delivery to take, but James thought that possibly by the weekend

Going to be doing some work today, but I have training class tonight and then I may go out onto the lake tomorrow if the weather holds, but I'll try to get some pics up if possible!

Chihuahua6: Thanks again and he's doing great!
Old 08/25/2005, 12:22 PM
Carpe Noctem

After looking at the shipping company's website, it looks like the tank is going to be here Monday! Didn't get much done this week as the weather was holding pretty nice and spent time on the boat and did some wakeboarding.

At any rate here are a few quick pics of the second drain and the plumbing of the sink. It's all ready to go with an feed for the RO-DI. Going to be doing laundry today , But I'm going to try to get some more plumbing done!

Old 08/25/2005, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

Those are pretty slick valves. Does the RO supply line hook right into it directly?
Old 08/25/2005, 02:34 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by ohioreefer
Those are pretty slick valves. Does the RO supply line hook right into it directly?
With an adapter... The plumber is subposed to drop the reducer off this weekend so I can get it hooked up. I can't wait, I'm getting a little sick of dragging tubing through the house and into the RO containers. it's great when I'm home alone, but add kids and dogs and it turns into quite the rodeo trying to keep the tube from getting pulled out of the can
Old 08/25/2005, 06:56 PM
Holo What?

Oooo only 4 days to go! Hey how about some pics of the boat?
Old 08/25/2005, 07:38 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by Holokai
Oooo only 4 days to go! Hey how about some pics of the boat?
You know I just realized that I don't have any pictures of the boat in the water. I've got some pics on the trailer and a few shots from the inside... and a few of us wakeboarding, but none really of the boat in the water... I guess if your really that interested I can put a few up, let me know
Old 08/25/2005, 09:54 PM
Holo What?

Fo sho, Fo sho. Let's see the boat
Old 08/25/2005, 10:06 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by Holokai
Fo sho, Fo sho. Let's see the boat
LOL, I'm sure coming from Hawaii this is not much of a boat, but for Colorado it's about right... I picked it up for a decent price and it only had 224 hours on it when I got it. It's a 1990 2052 Cuddy. Next year I want to try to pick up a new Campion 650 or 700... But I have to wait til this tank is done, it's killing my bank account right now.

A buddy of mine just picked up a Campion 650 and put a tower on it.. Wow that thing is incredible!!!! That's what we've been cruising around on for the past few weeks...
Old 08/25/2005, 11:25 PM

Aaaahhhh...Flying Tupperware!
Old 08/25/2005, 11:38 PM
Fiddles With Reef

I don't get it. There's no way that boat will fit in the tank.

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump (fuge and grow-out).
Old 08/25/2005, 11:41 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

wow how have i missed this thread. sump and such looks great. keep updating. i hope to see more as progress goes

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 08/25/2005, 11:47 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by NexDog
I don't get it. There's no way that boat will fit in the tank.
LOL. Time to start re-planning!

Lunchbucket: Thanks, I'm honored to have you look and post in here and hopefully next week the exciting pictures will start rolling in!
Old 08/25/2005, 11:57 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Hop, James is building 3 tanks for me too. A 280g main, a 150g sump and 50g fuge and shipping the lot to Japan. Is your main tank 450g?

Old 08/26/2005, 12:07 AM
Carpe Noctem

No, I guess the tank would be 370 gallons if you ran the outside numbers... 96x30x30, but I'm going to run 3/4". So if I recall when I crunched the numbers in was about 342 gallons, with a 4 gallon overflow, 100 gallon fuge and 40ish gallon sump. I just thought that 450 gallon system sounded better than 342 gallon tank begins
When I first set out designing the tank I was looking at 96x28x27 or something like that. I finally said forget it and went as big as I thought I could go. I know people are always saying 30" is too deep to reach the bottom, but I got to thinking and I really like the looks of the 30" tall 110 thats in the office now. Once I get the office cleaned out and start getting the stand/cabinetry done, you'll see why I was limited to 30" depth(front to back), there's a window that I have to contend with. No where else in my house, except the master bedroom could I find another spot to put a 8' tank. But beleive me, the thought of a 10' tank was discussed for a while in the bedroom

EDIT: Oh and great job going with James, I'm really impressed with his operation. The only bummer was that I when I took my vacation, James didn't send me the "building" pics. But oh well, how can I complain when the tank is almost here!
Old 08/26/2005, 12:15 AM
Fiddles With Reef

96" long is super sweet though. I only have 60" so I went high as possible (30") and deep as possible (36"). Hoping the depth is going to make up for the length though and with some decent aquascaping, I'm not concerned. Just buzzing that I'm finally creating it all.

Old 08/26/2005, 12:18 AM
Carpe Noctem

I hear ya, I think 36" will be great. You can really play with the depth there! I'd hate to think of the shipping costs to Japan... I spit coffee all over my monitor when I heard the cost of shipping to Colorado
Old 08/26/2005, 04:06 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Well, its the same price as all 3 tanks.....

Old 08/26/2005, 06:01 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

honored - LOL i'm just a normal guy. but i do need to go back and read all the post i admit it was late and a looked at the pics only

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 08/26/2005, 09:06 AM
Carpe Noctem

NexDog: Ahh what the heck, it will be well worth it!

Lunchbucket: I'm not certain that would be all that exciting. The picture book is probably just as informative

So I checked on the status of the tank and it's sitting happily in a warehouse just 50 miles from my house. The down side is that it actually passed by my house last night by only miles on the interstate, heading to the warehouse. I had visions of a mobile vehicle assault , but no such luck, I'll just have to wait until Monday.
Old 08/26/2005, 10:02 AM

I picked mine up myself. I figure, why pay someone else to screw up my tank when I can do it myself much cheaper? Anyway, I used suction cup handles. One for each hand on 4 guys, 3 furniture dollys, and a lift gate truck.

One screw up was that I left some handles attached (because it looked good) and they baked on in the Sun. It took a lot to remove them, and they left baked-on black rubber circles!!! I also realized that after the truck rental, fuel, hotel, suction cups, straps, food, and more, it would have been cheaper to hire a professional mover.

Oh well, I paid $280 Canadian for a Prizm 100 skimmer while on vacation...just so I could have it in hand when I got back and keep the rock alive. After exchange, that's over double what I could have gotten it online. FMR!!
Old 08/28/2005, 09:59 AM
Carpe Noctem

jnarowe: I hear ya, I thought about finding an alternative or going and getting it, but it's a bit a a haul from here

Well the clock is ticking away, tank should be here tomorrow But I feel like a little kid watching the clock...TICK...TICK...TICK
Old 08/29/2005, 09:17 PM
Carpe Noctem

The big day

The long anticipated day has arrived... The tank came today! I'll just go ahead and post the pics without a big narrative right now
The Crate:

The top:

Unpacked:

External Overflow:

Drains from overflow and closed loop intake:

I'll type some more later, but for now I'm off to look at the tank
Old 08/29/2005, 10:00 PM
Monkey

Looking good!

Sump room in the garage, planning on putting the closed loop in the crawlspace... Sounds like you got the right plan!

Tank looks great too.

One piece of critisism if I may - the clear tubing for the skimmer will grow some serious algae that close to the refugium light. I'd suggest either replacing it or at least wrapping some tape around it.

Good luck with the system - nice to see someone taking their time and doing it right!
Old 08/29/2005, 10:05 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

holy snikies. looks great. you prolly answered this but where you get the tank done?

keep post pics...we all like pics

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-