Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/27/2004, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

Can't believe I would think this about a shrimp

It has been about 2 weeks since I brought my TBS rock home and put it in the tank. A few days after I found my 1st mantis and it was this horrible feeling of "oh no not one of them!" Then I found the Red one in there and that bad feeling came over me again. That was it they had to go, I didnt care how but I wanted them out ASAP. After taking out the rock they were in squirting soda water in their tunnels to get them out and getting 2 of the 3 out and one of those died and the other one escaped back in the tank from the container it was in. After all the trouble and worry these guys have caused me in the last weeks they are really starting to grow on me. They seem to have gotten just a curious about me as I am of them. I can walk up to the tank and they both will poke their heads out just to see what I am up to. These little critters have personality in a similar way that any normal pet would have. Like I said, I never thought I would think this about a shrimp but it looks as though I am entering the "dark side" by countinuously being amazed by these shrimp. Just today I walked over to check out the tank before work and the blue one came all the way out and stood straight up watching me in a attack position. It was actually pretty cool but what amazes me even more is how they have seemed to get to know me over the past week and really are not afraid of me at all.

Ok so now what do I do? I dont want to set up a seperate tank for them but I do want to be able to have some fish, mostly Percula Clowns and a Regal Tang in my tank with some cleanup critters. How can I keep these guys without losing my fish?
Old 10/27/2004, 11:25 PM
Flea Slide

Most probably you will not loose your fish but the snail population will get decimated very fast.
Old 10/28/2004, 09:23 AM
Not that way, minions!!

You're probably not going to have a problem with losing fish if they're smashers. My lil' N. wennerae hasn't touched his fishy tankmates, but he has taken out my entire Stomatella population.
Old 10/28/2004, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

Set up a divider to create fuge for the stomatopod, and as they mentioned any snails or slow invertebrates will get chowed upon with speed.