Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/16/2007, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

Hurricane Power Outage Help

I live in Miami and there is a hurricane coming.

I wanted to know what are the best ways to support my tank during a power outage?

I was thinking of getting a battery back up, much like the ones used for computers. Does anyone here have any experiences with these?

Are are there manual things I can do to help my tank?

Do I have to have both the lights and pump on?
Or is one more important than the other?

I have a 24g Nano w/ 72watts and a 240 GPH pump.
The livestock is just a cupl eof fish and lots of softies, like leathers, ricordeas, zoos and xenias..

I'm trying to avoid buying a generator, because they run about 500 dollars and I really don't have the money right now, so I'm hoping there are alternatives.

Thank you all in advance.
Old 08/16/2007, 11:43 AM
Premium Member

the problem with battery backup will be life span. I am not sure how long they will work. I would think generator would be the way to go.
Old 08/16/2007, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

Do you have any ideas as to how I can calculate how long a battery will go depending on my lights and pump?
Old 08/16/2007, 11:50 AM
New Aquatronica Fan

Definitely a generator. The battery backup will only be good if you're planning on your power being out for an hour or two... and I would imagine with a hurricane that probably won't be the case.

If you need an inexpensive generator in a pinch, check with Northern Supply. Not sure if there is one near you or not, but here's a link: http://www.northerntool.com/

Brandon
Old 08/16/2007, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

You should be able to get a small generator for $200 dollar price range.
Old 08/16/2007, 11:58 AM
New Aquatronica Fan

A battery is not going to sustain your lights for very long at ALL. Also, a lot of battery backups don't have a true-sine output, which means your pumps may run roughly.

You really need to get a generator. A battery backup will literally run your system for a few hours IF its one of the biggest, which are as much as a generator.

Brandon
Old 08/16/2007, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljosh
You should be able to get a small generator for $200 dollar price range.
Where????
Really?
Old 08/16/2007, 12:07 PM
"Old Yeller"

battery backups have a built in problem... they only last a couple hours and most tanks can survive (barring overstocking) 8 to 12 hours pretty easily without any pumps or circulation.

I think a genset is the way to go also, for $200 you can have a basic (although noisy) generator

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94678 for a 1000W (will run your pumps without any problem at all)
Old 08/16/2007, 12:08 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by clockwurk
Where????
Really?
Like I mentioned above, Northern Tool.

They have one for $149 (sometimes $129 when on sale).

Brandon
Old 08/16/2007, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

cool ill check out northern tool.

ok, another question..

Lets say I can power the light somehow...

I know this is a RIG but im not sure exactly how much water flow a reef tank needs...BUT, is having a batter powered pump or two, on a large airstone enough to provide current?
Old 08/16/2007, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

A battery back-up should be fine. There is no way I would buy a generator to power a 24g nano. Of course all this depends how long you will be without electricity and what type of battery back-up you have. Your tank should have no problem surviving a week without lights (even SPS could last that long), so all you really need is to keep the water aerated with your pump. If you really wanted to conserve your battery you could power the pump on/off every 3-4 hours. If you expect to be out longer than a week or two than get a generator.
A better solution than a battery backup might be a deep cycle battery and an inverter. Depending on the power your pump draws, this could last quite a long time. This is what I have for my 180g and have not had any problems yet.
Old 08/16/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

OK, since we're neighbors, here are my thoughts:

1) No hurricane! At least not this round...

2) Battery backup is a great solution for our time-to-time power outages. Get a basic 12v unit off ebay and swap the battery for a larger marine deep cycle battery. Depending on what you need to run, you can get a 12 hours or so out of it. The key is "WHAT" you run. You don't NEED to run your lights, and skimmer and whatnot if the power is only out for a short period. You need to have circulation and oxygen exchange. I can keep my 90 running perfectly with a large powerhead for at least 12 hours (I know this not because I was testing it, but because I was stupid enough to forget to turn my pump back on after feeding).

3) If the power is out like it was after Wilma or Katrina, you have two choices, a generator or someone with power you can take your batteries (you'll need more than one) to charge up while you're draining the other one running your tank. The problem becomes that the longer your power is out, the more items you will need to run, resulting in shorter service from your battery and a lot of running to and fro, that is if you can find someone you know with power...

I believe that ultimately, you need a generator if you plan on staying here. Invest in one that will supply the wattage you will need to run the tank essentials and you might want to consider a couple other creature comforts as well. Nothing worse than spending two or three weeks in the dark, with no TV, light, etc.
Old 08/16/2007, 02:46 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

Whats even better from your spouse's point of view, if you have one, is sitting in the dark for a couple of weeks with only the tank running and no TV, light, etc.

Brandon
Old 08/16/2007, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DSKinchen
OK, since we're neighbors, here are my thoughts:

1) No hurricane! At least not this round...

2) Battery backup is a great solution for our time-to-time power outages. Get a basic 12v unit off ebay and swap the battery for a larger marine deep cycle battery. Depending on what you need to run, you can get a 12 hours or so out of it. The key is "WHAT" you run. You don't NEED to run your lights, and skimmer and whatnot if the power is only out for a short period. You need to have circulation and oxygen exchange. I can keep my 90 running perfectly with a large powerhead for at least 12 hours (I know this not because I was testing it, but because I was stupid enough to forget to turn my pump back on after feeding).

3) If the power is out like it was after Wilma or Katrina, you have two choices, a generator or someone with power you can take your batteries (you'll need more than one) to charge up while you're draining the other one running your tank. The problem becomes that the longer your power is out, the more items you will need to run, resulting in shorter service from your battery and a lot of running to and fro, that is if you can find someone you know with power...

I believe that ultimately, you need a generator if you plan on staying here. Invest in one that will supply the wattage you will need to run the tank essentials and you might want to consider a couple other creature comforts as well. Nothing worse than spending two or three weeks in the dark, with no TV, light, etc.
argghh, nothern tool is out of the cheap generators

"deep cycle battery and an inverter"
umm..whats that. im looking it up now, but you gotta speak english wharfrat48. Im not that smart

DSKinchen, dude, I was here during Andrew. People didnt know that was hitting til that same morning. After that, Ive been paradoid lol.

Yeah, Ive been looking at some generators on homedepot... I might just have to drop 500 bucks. I figure, why pay 400, if I can pay an extra 100 to triple the power. Man, this reef tank keeping is expensive biz.
Old 08/16/2007, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

I bought a generator to run my 10.5 Gallon. Ive already used it 3 times since march of this year. I originally got a 5kw diesel but returned it when I found out my ballast wouldnt power up off it at all and got a small one to run pumps and heaters
Old 08/16/2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

Ok, is there ANY WAY to calculate how long a Battery backup with these specs:

"1000 VA / 600 Watt"

run a 15 watt pump?
Old 08/16/2007, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

i purchased a generator for my 55gal! I also use APS computer battery back up, they keep the filters running while i have to add gas to the generator or have to turn it off for a few minites.
Old 08/16/2007, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

try pep boys, and also harbor frieght on US1 and eurika
Old 08/16/2007, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

search inverter on ebay I think mine (700W) was less than $40. It is used to convert DC power to AC power. A 700W inverter can power up to 700W of AC equipment (realistically around 500W). You just have to make sure that whatever battery is powering your inverter will last as long as you need it too. Some of the inverters can plug into the cig lighter of your car--- so you could (although I wouldn't recommend it) plug your inverter into your car, run an extension cord from your pump to your inverter, and run off your car battery. You would have to run your car every so often to charge your battery but it would work almost forever. Or you could buy marine/rv deep cycle batteries to use with your inverter. They are designed to hold a charge much longer than a car battery. I actually have 2 6V golf cart batteries wired in series that I use--- but I am powering a 200W pump pushing 2000gph you can get away with alot less than that. Sometimes there are problems with firing ballasts, but I wouldn't worry too much about running your lights..... I dont.
Old 08/16/2007, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

battery backup

In my opinion its alot cheaper to use a deep cycle battery and a inverter!! You can get a inverter with two plugs and hook one running a powerhead and one running air pump or lights !! When the battery run low or needs a charge just hook it to your car. or if you are going some where just take the battery with you and charge it on the run !! I went a week this way and my tank wasn't even phased !! Well I am sure it phased it a little ! Just a fiqure of speach !!
Old 08/16/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

I wouldn't worry about that hurricane. Its going to go threw south of cuba, not florida.
Old 08/16/2007, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

Schucks and or Checker have lesser expensive generators also, If you have either of those in FL.

I purchased one from there last year and have used it 10 times this year for my 100gal.

They only problem I ran into is when the power is out- there is no gas- or atleast the stations here had no power to pump the gas they had. I had to drive 30 miles to find power to get gas for the first couple days of a winter storm we had roll thru
Old 08/16/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

Ok, heres what I found out.

The spec wattage for a battery backup is equivalent or close to how much watts it can deliver in 1 hour. So, having a 600 watt battery backup means that it back sustain 600 watts of equipment for 1 HR. A pump that does about 240 GPH needs about 15 watts, so 600/15=40HRS of operation from a battery backup that is spec at 600watts.

Hope that makes sense

Im really gonna look into that inverter. Im still doing my resaerch. I figure if the hurricane hits, it wont be til monday or tuesday.

Oh BTW, i know the hurricane is not predicted to hit FL. But seriously folks, how often have they been wrong? Like I said, I saw what andrew did first hand and no one expected that to hit. Plus, Id rather be prepared than sorry.

Thank you all for the info. I know the battery info above can help some of you all.
Old 08/17/2007, 12:12 AM
New Aquatronica Fan

The inverter is definitely the way to go. It would be a fun challenge to go out and run your car during the hurricane. If you wanted to, you could make an obstacle course on the way to it!

I'm COMPLETELY kidding... but I do find it funny to recommend using your car during a hurricane.

Brandon
Old 08/17/2007, 12:18 AM
"Old Yeller"

batteries, inverters, charging, off and on every 4 hours... (deep cycle battery $100-150, inverter $50-75 + headaches... I think a 1000w generator for $200 seems like a lot less hassle