Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/22/2006, 08:21 AM
Registered Member

Red Sea Star

Is the Red Sea Star reef safe? What does it eat? Does it need lots of LR to get food?
Old 11/22/2006, 07:31 PM
Moved On

Your link to the starfish you are asking about gives you the info you are asking....its fairly accurate in whats written there...MY question would be...Are you certain the star you are looking into is in fact the species you have linked to?
Old 11/22/2006, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

yes, i was just double checking because they say it's reef safe, eats regularly and stuff and thats usually not the case with seastars.
Old 11/22/2006, 10:30 PM
Moved On

Yeah....KNOW YOUR VENDOR...haha....but hey, if your are certain its supposed to be, and the price is right, go for it!
Old 11/23/2006, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

thanks. Anyone else know if what they say about this star is true?
Old 11/23/2006, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

I am having problems with my red sea star. this is my second , and as I said inmy new post It's dying as well. Why? I do not have a clue.
Old 11/24/2006, 08:47 AM
Soul of a Sailor

It's reef safe, but that doesn't make them a good choice. Despite their small size they still seem to starve in captivity. No one knows what their diet is. They sometimes do ok in large tanks, but they don't even have nearly the success rate of Linckia which is pretty poor itself.
Old 11/24/2006, 11:10 AM
Premium Member

I agree with the above. The tragic thing is these stars are very small, and people believe they can then put them in smaller tanks. IMO, a minimum tank size is 100g with at least 125lbs of LR minimum. Many will die within a month of introduction (acclimation shock - most I see in an LFS are disintegrating already) and many more in a year of starvation.

I do not recommend them.
Old 11/24/2006, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

Thanks. Since red sea stars don't fare too well, are there any non serpent/brittle stars species that don't need tons of LR to feed off of and are reef-safe?
Old 11/24/2006, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

I have a harlequin serpant star that is great. Why do you not want a serpant star? Mine does stay hidden most of the time, but it does come out to let me feed it.