Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Dallas/Fort Worth Marine Aquarium Society (DFWMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/28/2007, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Greetings, Moving to Dallas

I'm being relocated by work to the Dallas area, specifically South Lake from Orange County, CA. I'm curious where the primo reef shops are at in the area. I've only been to Irving about 6 times and never thought about venturing off to find some reef shops but I know after the move I'm going to want to get some new water to do a water change after the treck from Cali to Texas. I'm not even sure if you guys get NSW that far inland or if I'll need to purchase an RO/DI unit and make some water when I get there. I'm almost tempted to just set up a new tank and leave mine back at home and get everything over nighted once I'm settled.
Old 08/29/2007, 06:01 AM
Registered Member

Welcome and let us know when you get into town. Southlake is a real nice area to live as well. NSW would be very expensive here. You will need to get a RO/DI unit. These links should help.

http://www.dfwmas.org/

http://www.dfwmas.org/lfs.html

You should also consider joining our club when you get here.

Old 08/29/2007, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

Irving has a great reef shop, Saltwater Paradise.

The links provided earlier will cover them all in the area. we are well supported in the Marine/Reef LFS arena, and a very large marine aquarium society:

http://www.dfwmas.org

Looking forward to adding you to our ranks!!

Jerry
Old 09/03/2007, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

also if you are a paid member you usually get 10% off discount at majority of the lfs.. not sure if you knew this but second tuesday's of the month we have our monthly meetings...

in my opinion

fish gallery (closed being rebuilt due to fire)
rift 2 reef
neptune's cove
frank's tanks

are my fave stores and have great customer service
Old 09/07/2007, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

Welcome to Texas! Southlake is a very nice area, I would have to agree with a previous poster.

I am a newbie but the DFWMAS group here is more than helpful and everyone is very friendly.

Good luck on your move and hope everything turns our great for you
Old 09/11/2007, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

Thanks a ton guys. I gave it a few weeks before checking back in as the forum didn't look too busy. I ended up purchasing a 48x24x24 to set up when I move in and keep it ghetto rigged for a month or two while I get it going. I only have a 24g right now. I'm planning on just keeping it less than half filled and curing some new live rock in a holding tank and then one of my buddies will fly out and help me set it up. More for our enjoyment of working on tanks than necessity. I've been buying NSW for so long with my nano, now I have research salt again. Again, thanks for the help on the LFS's.
Old 09/11/2007, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

BTW burton, I'm selling my house in Irving....LOL!!! Look forward to meeting you when you get settled in here in the DFW area. Plan on coming out to one of our meetings or g-t-g when you can.

Jerry
Old 09/17/2007, 10:23 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by kuyatwo
not sure if you knew this but second tuesday's of the month we have our monthly meetings...

Small (but necessary) correction: We meet on the second Wednesday of every month from 7pm to 9pm. Southlake is very close to the meeting location, which is in Grapevine.

Setting up your tank first and then having your livestock shipped over is a method many have used. It works, provided there are no issues with the shipping company. It would have to be well-packed.

I've used Kent Sea Salt for a long time, but for the past year, Red Sea Pro Reef has worked out well for my tank.
Old 09/17/2007, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

Are any of the places local to Irving catering to SPS reefers? It took me a couple years in so cali to find the spots with good sps. The LFS I frequent mostly, because I can get there on my lunch, isn't setup for SPS but they have awesome LPS. I've been Google Mapping out routes, I know for sure I can make it to Saltwater Paradise on a lunch. For some reason Rift to Reef in Lewisville keeps telling me it's Argyle on Google. Guess I'll find out eventually.

Last edited by burton14e7; 09/17/2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09/17/2007, 05:58 PM
TRC Leader

Irving has Saltwater Paradise / Extreme Corals. They are just north of 183.

Rift To Reef is off 135N, in Lewisville. Dane has been getting in more and more corals, but I only know that based on his announcements in the Sponsors' Corner (Forum on DFWMAS). It is a 1.5 hour drive from my house to his store, so I've only been there twice.
Old 09/17/2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

There is Saltwater Paradise/Extreme Corals in Irving the latter being an online store. They are both owned by the same person.

Old 09/20/2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

Ah cool, thanks again!! I've got everything ready except for a stand, canopy, and CaRx now. I'm going to try to call around and see who can get one custom stand&canopy made and delivered. Everything I see online so far is about 6" for the canopy which is nuts, I had 18" on my hex canopy that I built myself. My nano is an open top with a clamp on MH. I have a good relationship with the LFS's here and they've offered to have it built and delivered to TX for me but I need to weigh in all my options. I'll have packages scheduled to be on my doorstep the day after I arrive. I can't wait to travel to all the new LFS's. I'm pretty amped to move just so I can set up my 120

I think I was finding the wrong address. When I went to the website it said new retail store with a different address than DFWMAS lfs page. I've actually checked out extreme corals a few times online looking around to get some frags. Just didn't put 2 and 2 together.

-LFS page
RiftToReef Aquatics

1301 W Fm 407 Suite 209
Lewisville, Texas 75077

-Their Website

1301 Justin Rd #209
Lewisville, TX 75077

Last edited by burton14e7; 09/20/2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09/20/2007, 01:51 PM
TRC Leader

It is the first one, that's for sure.
Old 09/20/2007, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

Cool thanks. Kinda crazy I'll be close to the myth & the legend Melev. I learned a ton from your website 4 years ago when I got into the hobby
Old 09/20/2007, 02:24 PM
TRC Leader

Yep, I'm here. Use me.
Old 09/22/2007, 10:58 PM
AEFW Survivor

Welcome aboard Burton,

I live in Keller, but I am basically in Southlake. *I just learned from my wife that Travelocity is based in Southlake BTW* weird

I moved to Texas in 2005. I am now one of the BOD memers in the club. PM me when you get here. I would love to help you out.

The club is very active. We have a annual conference, 2 frag swaps, monthly educational meetings, coral fragging demos, club socials and.......we are about to innitiate a coral co-op.

Welcome, you will love the metroplex! Southlake is an amazing community. The closest thing that you have out there to SL TX is Newport Beach minus the football.

There are also local reefers that are actively propagaing and selling frags.

Let me know when you get here.

Ryan
Old 10/07/2007, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

Welcome to Texas! I'm also from So. Calif, Burbank, and moved here about 3 years ago. As others have mentioned, there is a local club, DFWMAS, that I would encourage you to join. Monthly meetings, interesting people, tank tours and frag swaps, just to name a few reasons. Hope to see you at a meeting.

Mark
Old 10/16/2007, 10:16 AM
Premium Member

I'd like to join the others in wishing you "welcome". Great stores and people here in the DFW area.