Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2006, 01:02 PM
Premium Member

Building a new sump.. quick ?

How much space should I leave between the baffles and the bottom of the sump to allow the water to pass under? About 750GPH will flow through this 26 Gal. Sump.
Old 01/07/2006, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

At least 1" - 2".
Old 01/07/2006, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

agreed at least 1"...the closer they are, the harder it is to clean
Old 01/07/2006, 01:51 PM
Premium Member

I'm thinking 2 1/2 ". F/U question. 3 baffles are spaced 2.5" apart with the flow going under, over, and under the final baffle before the return pump. I s this the best order to prevent microbubbbles? My last sump had the final baffle taking the water over...I'm thinking under is better.
Old 01/07/2006, 01:52 PM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

I have mine at 1" and wish I would have made them at 2". It would be VERY hard to clean them at 1".
Old 01/07/2006, 05:57 PM
Ignore me & I'll go away!

I'm not sure if the question (and replies) are all asking the same thing. I assumed you were asking the distance that the baffle should be off the ground (eg. room for water to pass through) versus distance to other baffles (so you can stick your hand between them and clean off the glass).

As far as off the ground, you could probably calculate the minimum distance needed, but an inch is more than enough, considering the distance from front to back that it can flow.