Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/16/2007, 05:47 PM

I used the Aquamedic SP3000 and it allowed a syphon on my kalk reactor. I ended up switching to a LiterMeter II.
Old 03/16/2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

what types of flow rates can you achieve with the SP or the litermeter? I'm looking to get a unit that can achieve 50mL (or more). I'm not seeing a lot of units that can dose that high maintaining a high level of reliability?
Old 03/16/2007, 06:58 PM

Check out the LiterMeter II specs.. Says there it will pump 250ml/min...Every large tank system I have seen uses one of these, but there are alternatives like through Aquatic-Eco...there you can buy the rate you want from several models.
Old 03/17/2007, 09:46 AM
lift it up tallways

This has been a known issue with the SP3000 units for a while. For the last 18 months, they've been shipping with a check valve.

I also have a litermeterIII, but I couldn't imagine using it with my jetstream. My small system couldn't handle dumping a large amount of low-pH effluent in to the sump 150 times a day.

I have been using my litermeterIII to top off 2 separate tanks for over 2 years now though. Very nice piece of equipment.

-rf
Old 03/18/2007, 09:16 AM
Premium Member

anyone have a picture of the ph probe in the schuran. I am confused with how to install my probe in-line. Just got a schuran and I am still trying to figure it out.
Old 05/10/2007, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

i have read this whole thread and im confused alittle. i got the Schuran JS1 i have it running on my tank for the last 3 days .i have the ph at 6.55 bubble count 95 flow is 90ml/min . my ca level has been droping while my alk has been going up . im trying to get my tank set at 420ca 8alk . my levels a hour ago were 370ca and 9.5alk .so i had to added some ca to help bring down the alk and bring up the ca.any info to help better under stand the set up of this reactor would be sweeet.
thanks
mike
Old 05/10/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

anyone ?
Old 05/10/2007, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

How full is your tank? SPS? I have a 90 full of sps and my bubble count is 60 and effluent is 40ml/min. You might try and slow down the effluent if you can. How are you feeding it?
Old 05/10/2007, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

im running it off my return pump , im going to get a CP pump just poor from buying reactor . my tank isnt not packed bad . only 25-30 peices of sps/15-20 lps . the return line off the reactor is 3" above the the highest point of the reactor. i have now shut the reactor off until i can get my ca/alk levels back ,ca 330/alk 10 ouch . then i will start over . ill try the lower flow and bubble count . think this will be my best bet ?
Old 05/10/2007, 07:39 PM
Premium Member

Your ca levels went from 370 to 330 in 9 hours? Whats wrong with alk at 10? Thats 3.5 meq right? Thats what I run my tank at. If its raising your alk then it should be raising your ca levels too. Are you sure your ca test is good?
Old 05/10/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

im starting to wonder about this test kit . i have been using it for months and my tank always read 420 ca alk 8 . can a test kit go outta wack over a few days(tests). i want to keep my alk down around 8 cause i use zeovit. i cant understand how the alk can change with out the ca moving . is there a chance that theres a different test kit for reactors then 2 part?or am i sniffing too much glue lol .
thanks
mike
Old 05/10/2007, 08:33 PM
Premium Member

You are sniffing to much glue!!! LOL Yes I can't see how the alk can go up without the ca going up too. I would check your test kits. I always use salifert.
Old 05/10/2007, 09:03 PM

I don't know about that. My alk has swung quite a bit over the last two months but my Ca has remained nearly the same. Doesn't make sense to me either...
Old 05/11/2007, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

so maybe its not the glue lmao
Old 05/11/2007, 07:15 PM
lift it up tallways

Let's try stating it another way; Your reactor is not raising your alk without raising your calcium proportionally. Usage by animals and plants in your system will reduce it proportionally. You're describing an ionic imbalance.

Me, I keep my alk low. I had in >10dKH for a long time, and I had a thick layer of calcium carbonate all over my sump, and anything warm (pumps, heaters). By keeping it at NSW levels, I have a clean sump, and I have to clean my pumps far less often.

I'll bet it's your test kit. You wouldn't happen to have a hagen calcium test kit my any chance?

E.
Old 05/12/2007, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

i got it i think ! my dkh has stayed at 8.5 for over 24hrs now .
no im not using hagen lol its a salifert , which i have now gotten a new test kit . you guys were right my test kit was off for whatever reason maybe dirty test tubes dunno.i would just like to thanks you guys for taking some time to help me out .
cheers

mike
Old 08/03/2007, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

Anyone know the cheapest place to purchace the media. I purchased in bulk about 2years ago for about 3.50 lb. I am almost out and the guy I got it from doesn't get it any more.
Old 08/03/2007, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

try custom aquatic but you have to call for it.
Old 08/03/2007, 03:50 PM

get GEn-X at custom aquatic
Old 08/22/2007, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

any jetstream 1 owner out there using it on tank/tanks with total of~120gallon. Just wondering what is your settings are for bubble count and effluent...etc.

Thanks a million

I just got an used jetstream 1 from a good friend decide to get out of the hobby. my bubble count is about 20 to 25 I think....they don't come out the same size all the time or steadly ...some time one bubble split into two bubbles as it move closer to the top of the bubble counter...

currently(night time; lights comes on at late afternoon-day time) alk is ~5.4dkh and calcium is about 400 in the tank.
last night (their day time) alk was ~8dkh and calcium was about 420

should alk drop that much at night time? I will test again later on tonight after light come on for a few hours.
Old 08/22/2007, 04:22 PM
Premium Member

I don't think alk dropping has anything to do with day and night? maybe someone can confirm.
Old 08/22/2007, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

well....I don't know if it has to do with day/night...but just something came out with my test...I will keep testing to see if some kind of pattern shows up
Old 08/22/2007, 05:09 PM

first of all, you should always do you tests at around the same time of day so you get consistent results. Alk doesn't typically go up and down like pH in relation to the light cycle, but you may see some varience if you are using the Jetstream for top-off.

to go from 8.0 dKh to 5.4 dKh that quickly is rather unusual, even in a small system.
Old 08/28/2007, 09:41 AM
Premium Member

guys I need some help, seems that my Schuran Jetstream 1 has lost some performance?

I used to be able to keep my PH Controller set to 6.8 with about 60 to 80 bubbles a minute & 60 ml/min flow and my ALK/CA would be pretty stable. I have a med stock 180g and heavy stock 75g frag with lps/sps.

the only changes would be the media (came from same batch though) and I do notice now that the air pocket chamber under the media is only a couple millimeters of air in it, where before there was atleast an inch of air. I never have bubble or soda pop look at the top of reactor. I currently have the reactor set to 125 mil/min flow / PH 6.2 / 100 bubbles a min and my CA/ALK drops daily.

What do you think?

Last edited by Brent Thomann; 08/28/2007 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08/28/2007, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brent Thomann
guys I need some help, seems that my Schuran Jetstream 1 has lost some performance?

I used to be able to keep my PH Controller set to 6.8 with about 60 to 80 bubbles a minute & 60 ml/min flow and my ALK/CA would be pretty stable. I have a med stock 180g and heavy stock 75g frag with lps/sps.

the only changes would be the media (came from same batch though) and I do notice now that the air pocket chamber under the media is only a couple millimeters of air in it, where before there was atleast an inch of air. I never have bubble or soda pop look at the top of reactor. I currently have the reactor set to 125 mil/min flow / PH 6.2 / 100 bubbles a min and my CA/ALK drops daily.

What do you think?

I can't comment on your Schuran (I have a DIY) but it could be your coral Bio Mass has increased. The Ca & Alk consumption goes up exponentially as your reef grows.