Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/03/2007, 07:41 AM
Coral Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkXerox
Ideally you should try to blend it all to the tiniest particle size possible. I did a full 15min of blending when I made my batch and it seemed to do the trick. The biggest warning here is that the blender got very hot, so I made sure to give it a break every 5 min, and stuck the solution in the freezer so it didn't get warm. Someone suggested DI/RO icecubes for the water portion of the recipe and that sounds like a great idea.

Someone should try to find if any place in the US sells the ReefStar products that Ocean Drive is talking about.
Your right I did my first batch with 2- 3 minute blasts. It looked great, but in the tank you can see some of the particles are too large.
Litermeter III,PCX-70 pushing 2 Eductors,Geo 624 Ca Reactor,125 sump, Dart Return
Old 02/03/2007, 02:37 PM
More than meets the eye

Quote:
Originally posted by REEF-DADDY
Your right I did my first batch with 2- 3 minute blasts. It looked great, but in the tank you can see some of the particles are too large.
That's food for the fish. Everyones gettin some.
Old 02/04/2007, 02:09 AM
Registered Member

I,ve been dosing Saliferts Coraline AA with cyclopeeze with good results but I'm starting the pappone this week.
Old 02/04/2007, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkXerox
Ideally you should try to blend it all to the tiniest particle size possible. I did a full 15min of blending when I made my batch and it seemed to do the trick. The biggest warning here is that the blender got very hot, so I made sure to give it a break every 5 min, and stuck the solution in the freezer so it didn't get warm. Someone suggested DI/RO icecubes for the water portion of the recipe and that sounds like a great idea.

Someone should try to find if any place in the US sells the ReefStar products that Ocean Drive is talking about.
I emailed reefstar and sked them if they have a US company we can buy from if not could I order from them and they ship to the US. Haven't heard back from them yet.
Old 02/05/2007, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

I've been following this thread for quite a while now, and I still have a few questions:

1) what is pappone? is it that mix that you guys are talking about?

2) I've seen a bunch of recipes, some omitting various ingredients for different reasons. Can someone list a general list of things to get and where to get them? (where do I get AA's at in USA??? at GNC? What kind? What is spirulina? Where do I get that? Is it the same as Spirutein? I do have that. Some help please.

3) Dosing regimen per gallon of water? I have about 45 gallons, so very small compared to many of you. And I don't have a huge bioload, just medium I'd say.

4) Any other tips?

[img]http://i10.tinypic.com/48f4i1s.gif[/img]
Old 02/05/2007, 10:41 AM

I'll be interested to see if the Italians respond to a guy with a US Soccer avatar!
Old 02/05/2007, 11:05 AM
Coral Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by pito
That's food for the fish. Everyones gettin some.
The problem is that the fish are sleeping when I feed the stuff....
Litermeter III,PCX-70 pushing 2 Eductors,Geo 624 Ca Reactor,125 sump, Dart Return
Old 02/05/2007, 11:07 AM
Coral Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
I'll be interested to see if the Italians respond to a guy with a US Soccer avatar!
me too
Old 02/05/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

I just did a huge feeding of it last night and my skimmer pump craps out on me!!!!ahhhh!!!!! time for some serious GFO
Old 02/05/2007, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

I don't think the Italians have anything to worry about...they got the Cup in their hands...

my only consolation is that we did the best against Italy compared to all of the losers agains Italy... I'm happy with a tie against the best in the world.

[img]http://i10.tinypic.com/48f4i1s.gif[/img]
Old 02/05/2007, 04:28 PM
Reefer

I don't know if this as been asked yet so forgive me if it has. Suppose you use this recipe for a couple years, and you get the desired growth you're looking for. Can you stop using it without any ill effects to your corals. Or do you have to continuously use it?
Old 02/05/2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Siapin
I don't think the Italians have anything to worry about...they got the Cup in their hands...

my only consolation is that we did the best against Italy compared to all of the losers agains Italy... I'm happy with a tie against the best in the world.
ain't that the truth!!
Old 02/05/2007, 10:11 PM
More than meets the eye

Quote:
Originally posted by Siapin
I've been following this thread for quite a while now, and I still have a few questions:

1) what is pappone? is it that mix that you guys are talking about?

2) I've seen a bunch of recipes, some omitting various ingredients for different reasons. Can someone list a general list of things to get and where to get them? (where do I get AA's at in USA??? at GNC? What kind? What is spirulina? Where do I get that? Is it the same as Spirutein? I do have that. Some help please.

3) Dosing regimen per gallon of water? I have about 45 gallons, so very small compared to many of you. And I don't have a huge bioload, just medium I'd say.

4) Any other tips?
Are you sure you been following? I think everyone of those questions has been asked and answered in the last 5-10pgs.
Old 02/05/2007, 10:14 PM
More than meets the eye

Quote:
Originally posted by JDS
I don't know if this as been asked yet so forgive me if it has. Suppose you use this recipe for a couple years, and you get the desired growth you're looking for. Can you stop using it without any ill effects to your corals. Or do you have to continuously use it?
Great question. I wanna know too. I would think that if you wanted to stop useing it, you should ween it off.
Old 02/05/2007, 10:18 PM
More than meets the eye

DarkXerox, No rush on that translation as I'm greatfull you're taking the time to do it, but I feel like a kid in the candy store waiting for that taste.
Old 02/05/2007, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

I do believe it was mentioned that after feeding for a few months it is ok to stop for a while without any ill effects. I doubt the corals are addicted or have become dependent the papone. Feed me I need a fix..
Old 02/06/2007, 01:55 AM
Pappone Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by pito
DarkXerox, No rush on that translation as I'm greatfull you're taking the time to do it, but I feel like a kid in the candy store waiting for that taste.
Yeah I sent it in to reefitalia a few days ago, so I'm waiting for them to post it up on the magazine.

As for the recipe and instructions here we go again (spirulina as well as amino acids can be found at most fish stores and marinedepot has both):

“Pappone” Recipe – Italian Coral Food (Updated 1/14/2007)

Materials:
5 Oysters
5 Mussels
5 Clams
5 Shrimp (NOT cocktail shrimp, the big scampi type w/o the head and the shell)
1 Tablespoon of Sugar (not corn syrup, etc.)
200 mL of RO/DI water
10 g of Red Algae (Palmaria palmata; Bisck uses Julian Sprung's brand)
and/or 10 g of Spirulina, 10 g of Nori (spirulina is what Bisck prefers)

Methods: Make SURE that all ingredients are the freshest possible and DO NOT use frozen foods (unless it is impossible for you). Make sure everything "live" is rinsed and cleaned before putting it into the blender. Put all the ingredients into the blender and blend for 5 min, wait 2 min for it to cool, 5 more min blending, 2 min of waiting again, then finally another 5 min of blending (the pausing is so that the solution doesn't get too hot and "cook" from the heat of the blender/blades). Pour into cube forms (approx 10 mL each). Then freeze it all—you want to minimize how long everything is at room temperature.

Procedure: One hour prior to turning off your lights, you have the option of adding Amino acids to the tank*. (For example, 11pm Halides off, add AA’s, 12am, actinics off, then add pappone). Take off the cup of your skimmer, but leave the skimmer running (so you don’t have a massive drop in O2 levels overnight). After the lights are off, start with only a ¼ of a cube per WEEK for every 400 L of tank water (approx 100 gallons). Be sure to measure NO3 and PO4 the next morning so that these parameters don't spike after feeding. You can reduce the amount fed if you are having nutrient problems. Also don’t forget to put the skimmer cup back on the next morning before the lights go back on.

*If everything is going well. It is good to wait and see how the tank is doing for awhile before trying this. The whole point here is that you don't want to change anything too fast, because nothing good happens quickly in this hobby. (Another method to grind up amino acid pills in the next batch of food; however Bisck found that it sometimes causes diatom outbreaks in his tank).

-----

Hope that clears up the questions
Old 02/06/2007, 12:35 PM
Premium Member

The statement " not corn syrup" triggered a thought (dangerous at times) According to Health Food afficianados, organic cane sugar contains substantial more "trace" items than regular sugar (ie: beet sugar) and brown is much better than white.
Old 02/06/2007, 08:58 PM
Pappone Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by crazzy
The statement " not corn syrup" triggered a thought (dangerous at times) According to Health Food afficianados, organic cane sugar contains substantial more "trace" items than regular sugar (ie: beet sugar) and brown is much better than white.
Shouldn't be a problem because usually they use phosphoric acid to remove the coloration or calcium hydroxide (kalk anyone? lol) then run it through activated carbon. Frankly, 1tbs isn't going to be an issue, especially if it is deemed fit for human consumption. If you can find me a research article that does a chemical assay on the components of sucrose, that would probably be helpful, but I wouldn't worry about this.
Old 02/06/2007, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

With the price of sugar being a minimal price cost component I thought if a better "sugar" might add to the mix it would be better. The white versus brown has to do with the procees that when white sugar is produced chemicals are added to make it white and do thereby remove beneficial ingrediaents. There has been way too much mis-interpretation on what seems a great post here. ( see my query in coral propragation) This posting (and this reefkeeping posting of info) is a phenomenal resource, but it seems that some people just fly off the handle with their input or more politely, lack of thought or simply not really reading what has been posted. Proper qualified opinions are great, opinions that lack facts or are only just that- opinions, - are hearsay, or just plain B.S. that confuse real progress of this Hobby.
DarkXerox and Invincivible have brought a great Italalian system and should be heartly congratulated for their efforts.
Old 02/08/2007, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

This thread is great…on many levels. Thanks to all for the info and the translations. Those are indeed some stunning bathtubs! After having spent a few days wading through the entirety of the thread, I now have some new ideas to try in adjusting my current regiment. I’m anxious to see what happens!

I have been so moved by this thread that I have also changed my signature to reflect an automatically generated translation of one of the Italian quotes. One that I find extremely poignant and entertaining...

Buon giorno tutto!
Old 02/08/2007, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

Hi,

LOL, sometimes the best quotes are sitting right in front of you!
Old 02/11/2007, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

I recall in one of the early pages one of the italians speaking of a study of what aminos the hgh were breaking down to in the pappone. Did they ever complete this?
Old 02/12/2007, 07:44 AM
Registered Member

I think it´s not finished.
Meanwhile you can use aminos already available until the study is completed. I´ll try Salifert ones...

I´ve started dosing papone and my nitrate and phosphate levels are still undetectable
Old 02/12/2007, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

OK, so I got the stuff to make a batch of Pappone tonight, but was curious if there is any good advice on getting the shell fish open? I haven't tried yet tonight, but the last time I tried to open a live clam, it wasn't too happy to yield to my ways.

I'll be using Seachem Reef Plus for an AA supplement.

Member of DFWMAS