Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/31/2007, 02:37 PM
Pappone Nerd

Blah I'm workin on it, but it got shoved to the back burner due to all my graduate school admissions junk, lab time, and etc. at school. I have a raw copy that I'll go over tonight and polish a bit, but I'll have to show it to SiR before I show it to you guys of course.
Old 01/31/2007, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

I for one would like to thank you DarkX for all of your efforts. Especially considering your work load. Fom what I gathered the article is just retelling what he has told us 10 times . thanx agajn
Old 01/31/2007, 07:02 PM
Coral Killer

Yesterday I made and dosed my first batch of pappone. I need to get a life because I stayed up late admiring the corals polyp extension with a flash light. The extension was ridiculous! I even woke my wife(unhappy) to come look. That said I do have a question:
Does your skimmer go nuts when you turn it back on? My beckett which is solid as a rock normally filled a 5g bucket in 20 minutes!
Litermeter III,PCX-70 pushing 2 Eductors,Geo 624 Ca Reactor,125 sump, Dart Return
Old 01/31/2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

damn..I need that skimmer
Old 01/31/2007, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cewalcott
I for one would like to thank you DarkX for all of your efforts. Especially considering your work load. Fom what I gathered the article is just retelling what he has told us 10 times . thanx agajn
If they told us 10 times, I guesss I missed it all ten.

They said that they dosed amino acids a couple of hours prior to dosing pappone, to stimulate the feeding desire.

Which brand of amino acids and what quantity did they say they dosed? Did they crash the pills? Or is it liquid?
Thanks.
Old 02/01/2007, 02:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skydancer
If they told us 10 times, I guesss I missed it all ten.

They said that they dosed amino acids a couple of hours prior to dosing pappone, to stimulate the feeding desire.

Which brand of amino acids and what quantity did they say they dosed? Did they crash the pills? Or is it liquid?
Thanks.
im still wondering what type of amino acids and were to find and buy... the exact name and location would be sweet ....
Old 02/01/2007, 02:55 AM
Registered Member

The BC method in english will be available on the ReefItalia Magazine. www.reefitalia.com
Old 02/01/2007, 05:41 AM
Pappone Nerd

ok guys, it should be up soon on ReefItalia magazine soon and I am totally dead tired...so have fun haha
Old 02/01/2007, 09:21 AM
More than meets the eye

They have a whole forum dedicated to the BC methode, but it's in Italian.
Old 02/01/2007, 11:06 AM
Coral Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by N-A-S-O
damn..I need that skimmer
I wish I could tell you it was high quality skimmate. It's was basically water, think overflow but with an auto shutoff.
Litermeter III,PCX-70 pushing 2 Eductors,Geo 624 Ca Reactor,125 sump, Dart Return
Old 02/01/2007, 01:45 PM
Pappone Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by tonyscoots84
im still wondering what type of amino acids and were to find and buy... the exact name and location would be sweet ....
Yeah they posted a some brands a couple pages back. I think that kent or one of the major american companies does sell aminos for reef use and I don't think you can go wrong with those for now (pays to be safe sometimes).
Old 02/01/2007, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by REEF-DADDY
I wish I could tell you it was high quality skimmate. It's was basically water, think overflow but with an auto shutoff.
RD...My skimmer does that too. Get a whitish yellow liquid? very watery? uh huh.....i take whats skimmed out and dump it in the toilet....you can be sure it pulled out tons of fatty acids even if it looks like water

Cheers
Old 02/01/2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

The amino acid from Prodibio makes my corals go nuts, especially the LPS. Makes my sun coral look like it's going to herniate a tentacle.

Using a product developed for aquarium use with a prescribed dosing regimen makes me feel more comfortable. It costs about $2.50 a week to use in an 800 ltr system.
Old 02/01/2007, 04:31 PM
Fish Obsessed

Is the Prodibio product for amino acids called Prodibio Reef Booster?

"The whole purpose of religion is to facilitate love and compassion, patience, tolerance, humility, and forgiveness."

Educational Officer - C.O.M.A.S.
Old 02/01/2007, 04:49 PM

OK guys...how about some more pics of those great Italian tanks?? Please!!!
Old 02/01/2007, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

Yes, Reef Booster is Prodibio's amino acid supplement.
Aquarium Specialty is the North American distributor.
Old 02/01/2007, 06:26 PM
Pappone Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by ROR
The amino acid from Prodibio makes my corals go nuts, especially the LPS. Makes my sun coral look like it's going to herniate a tentacle.
Thats probably one of the funniest things ive heard in awhile

I've heard good things about prodibio here and there, just seems kinda expensive. Let me know how it works for you guys.
Old 02/02/2007, 02:12 AM
Registered Member

I,m having good luck with Saliferts Coraline Amino Acids.
Old 02/02/2007, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

I will say that the Aminos that I have been using are made by Zeovit. My corals look very healthy since the start of the AA and other Zeo............products. I do feed the pappone once a week ..............but I have a question. after you remove it from the frigerator and let it thaw out when i add it to the tank it like tiny little particals flying all over the place is this correct or did i make it wrong. Someone told me that it the water should look like milk if done correctly is this true.
IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE.......
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 02/02/2007, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

In Italy many aquarists use ReefStar Aminosauren
Old 02/02/2007, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by trueblackpercula
I will say that the Aminos that I have been using are made by Zeovit. My corals look very healthy since the start of the AA and other Zeo............products. I do feed the pappone once a week ..............but I have a question. after you remove it from the frigerator and let it thaw out when i add it to the tank it like tiny little particals flying all over the place is this correct or did i make it wrong. Someone told me that it the water should look like milk if done correctly is this true.
I throw the cube in the return pump chamber of my sump. That way the partcles are turned to pappone again, the pump mix things back up

Leonardo
Old 02/02/2007, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

True black- I am sure you have it right. It is hard to turn into a pure milk substance, that blender would probably cost 5 hundo....in other words it would take a super blender. As long as they are tiny particles and very fine you should be good to go. Leonardo has a great idea of putting it back through a pump to chop it again. I put it in a coffee mug and suck it up and squirt it back in (with tank water) until it is all messed up looking then dump the mug into the tank in front of my tunze. You should also try feeding more than once a week, but judging by your past comments,posts and tank setup i can tell you are obsessed with limiting nutrients to steer away nuisance algae(not a bad thing I am with you), but you can feel safe ramping it up to 2 times a week and 3 eventually. I am at 2 and i still do my other coral food recipe once a week to in a 55g.

Also, I looked into prodibio's reefbooster "AA" supplement-------mostly isnt AA's in actuality. First you dont "really" know what is in it, but judging by literature and what they say is in it it is mostly HUFA's and what not, but not pure AA's.

I am looking into salifert AA's and I am getting good feedback including one recent post in this thread from bullredchaser, although he didnt have much to say. Bull are you doing the pappone feeding in conjunction with the salifert AA's?
Old 02/02/2007, 06:26 PM
Premium Member

seachem has a good aa suplement called reef trace shows you whats in it too here

Greg.
Old 02/02/2007, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kokob007
seachem has a good aa suplement called reef trace shows you whats in it too here

Greg.
I jsut started using pappone yesterday. I also dose with Seachem Reef Plus before the lights go out. $5 and some change at PetSmart.
Old 02/02/2007, 08:48 PM
Pappone Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by trueblackpercula
Ideally you should try to blend it all to the tiniest particle size possible. I did a full 15min of blending when I made my batch and it seemed to do the trick. The biggest warning here is that the blender got very hot, so I made sure to give it a break every 5 min, and stuck the solution in the freezer so it didn't get warm. Someone suggested DI/RO icecubes for the water portion of the recipe and that sounds like a great idea.

Someone should try to find if any place in the US sells the ReefStar products that Ocean Drive is talking about.