Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/22/2007, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

Yes I forgot to thankyou DH
Old 01/23/2007, 04:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by REEF-DADDY
This thread is making me wish i knew mnore Italian than Tartufo and Tiramisu.

Old 01/23/2007, 12:33 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
nice one dh!

Danke schoen
Old 01/23/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkXerox
Certainly...its is always better to use products specific for aquaiums...like what I wrote for you all above.

I await the photos

----------

hey guys, sorry I've been MIA but school is absolutely nuts. I've got over 20 hours of lab a week in additon to 15 hours of lecture, then homework on top of that, so I'm not going to be able to translate much...

I was able to mix up a batch of pappone a couple of days ago and I'll see how it does. I also asked around and people are using this: http://reefstar.de/english/aminos_eng.htm

However, I can't find anyone that carries it here in the US (homework for someone else who has time).

Frankly, in the meantime just use an AA supplement from like Korallin or Salifert. They were designed for aquarium use and are liquid with dosing instructions on them.

I honestly can't say how much AA supplement to use, because everything has different concentrations in them. So it would be best (and safest) to stick with aquarium designed liquids I think.

Sir: Sto lavorando con la traduzzione per il tuo articolo. Sono molto occupato con la scuola e il compito, ma ho tempo ora.
I use a product simular to that. It's call ultra mins by fauna marin
http://www.faunamarin.de/eng/ultramin.php
And Aquarium OBSESSED carrys it http://www.aquariumobsessed.com/
Old 01/23/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

recipe?

I printed the recipe and took it to our local "whole foods" store, I found 100% natural spirulina Powder grown in Hawaii 100% pure net Wt. 4 oz. (113 g)

Is this the right stuff? I live in Kansas so the fresh seafood is hard to get, went to a fish store and got some frozen, got the shrimp from the Walmart seafood section, she said it came frozen.

I haven't tried to make this yet. I'm new to sps since March 2006, I have many frags and some small colony's growing at this time. I've enjoyed this thread and the wonderfull pictures. I have the first one saved as my desktop picture!

Thank you..

valerie
Old 01/26/2007, 11:58 AM
Buckeye Fan

That Spirulina powder sounds perfect for this application.
You want one with fewest added ingrediants other than Spirulina.

It's better to burnout, than to fade away. Neil Young
Old 01/26/2007, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

I also used spirulina powder as the algae part in the pappone.

Leonardo

"Formosa Forest"
(click red house)
Old 01/27/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

feeding

I laid it out on waxed paper on a large cookie sheet in the freezer, just broke off a small piece and it isn't disolving, its staying more flat like a piece of dried algae. Did I do something wrong? I thought it was to be very tiny stuff for the corals?

I used a turkey baster and blasted it after awhile, and it disoved. I just got in a hurry I guess.

Last edited by volivier; 01/27/2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01/27/2007, 09:19 PM

From Acquaportal.it. Paolino's tank.

Old 01/27/2007, 09:30 PM
More than meets the eye

Stunning. What kind of substrate is that?

Any word on that artical?

Last edited by pito; 01/27/2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01/27/2007, 09:44 PM

amazing.
Old 01/28/2007, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

wow very nice aquarium and with only T5's??
Old 01/28/2007, 11:09 AM
Premium Member

It is absolutely stunning what the Italians have achieved!!!

VIVA ITALY!!! ...and thank you so much for sharing your experiences...

I can't wait for the "article".
Old 01/29/2007, 03:39 PM
Premium Member

I think people interested in specialized fish food should check out Argent Labs., they are the people responsible for Cyclops. I have ordered spriulina powder from them 15 yrs ago when I made my own fry food with blended shrimp, spirulina, and clear jello. It is about 25$ a pound jar for spriulina.

This is the same place I purchase my coral pieces for the ca reactor, a schuran type.

They have quite a bit of interesting other foods also.

They also have a Catalog that is specifically for aquaculture, some of the size of the products will blow your mind. They send it to you free if you order something.

Ed
Old 01/30/2007, 08:36 AM
Registered Member

also, for a quick and easy way to get the cubes out of the tray, turn them upside down, run warm water over for about 10 seconds and then they just fall out..
best fo luck!
Old 01/30/2007, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

amazing read, mucho gratci to sir & dark xerox and anybody i forgot, cant wait to veiw the article people researched long and hard over as i cant wait to see more of these italiano's updated tank pics since these were a few yrs. old
Old 01/30/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

amazing read, mucho gratci to sir & dark xerox and anybody i forgot, cant wait to veiw the article people researched long and hard over as i cant wait to see more of these italiano's updated tank pics since these were a few yrs. old
Old 01/30/2007, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

Sweet tip on the Argent labs...gonna check that out today.
Old 01/30/2007, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

Reefitalia.com finally posted the Blu Coral Method :

http://nuke.reefitalia.com/MagazineG...4/Default.aspx
Old 01/30/2007, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

all we need now is a translation... and we're on the home straight...

invincible569 you can be my hero...
Old 01/30/2007, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

This is what I was able to get from Micrsoft word translator.
In many they have had the occasion to see the magnificent bathtubs managed with this method and many others have been interested to know it. The craftsman of the method she has been Maurizio Manili, than thanks to collaborations with others he gets passionate to you, is successful to put it to point. Today the BC has been inherited from Valerio titular Pacetti of it Blue former Coral puts into effect them and associate of Maurizio Manili, that he has brought to read modiche the old one and by now consolidated method. In this article it will be spoken about like it works and as it succeeds to increase the increase of corals.

Bathtub of Mario Conti - photo by Peter Cremone

They go made endured two great distinctions. One can be managed bathtub using the glutton simple or method BC can be used exactly. The base of both systems of conduction it is the same one; Berliner classic; chemistry of the water; glutton.

Bathtub of Paschal Tuccillo aka Makka - photo by Peter Cremone

Berliner classic:

The Berliner classic is characterized from strong lighting system, fort movement of water, one efficient skimmer and alive cliffs.

Photo by Antonio D' Abrosca aka Adabros

Chemistry of the water:

Particular date comes attention to this aspect, that it has its positive implications you in all the conduction of method BC. In particular the values of the water they come more maintained in elevated concentrations regarding the values that they are found in nature; Magnesium 1500 mg/l Soccer 500 mg/l Strontium 16-30 mg/l Nourishing Charges of coal 12-14mg/l Iodine 0,06 mg/l tending to zero. This allows to corals of having in any useful material moment to the construction of the skeleton and therefore it has one risen of “reservoir” of chemical elements.

Glutton:

This is the difference that it allows to distinguish who uses the method and who exactly instead, of it it uses only some you leave. In general terms however glutton is identical in both the conductions and he is prepared in this way:

They are taken of the molluschi rigorously freschi. Generally 5 cozze are used, 5 vongole, 5 gamberi, 5 oysters. All are put these in a container, they add 250 mililiter of RO water, joins 1 spoon of saccarosio (sugar from kitchen), some use also fructose. Frulla energetically until giving one consistency cremosa to all the prepared one. To this point it comes made distinction between who uses the method and who exactly instead not it uses. In method BC the glutton comes enriched, regarding prescription originates them, from a protein that is the GH. Generally of they use 1,33 mg that they correspond to 4 units. It is stirred therefore and they are prepared of the cubetti from riporre in the freezer.

Bathtub of Paschal Tuccillo aka Makka - photo by Peter Cremone

The GH that what is?The GH or hormone somatotropo, it is a human protein of small dimensions, that it introduces one structure considerably various in various the species. It derives some therefore an elevated biological specificity, in the sense that the GH of one species is generally completely inactive in others; in that human, only that it has the effects are the GH of the monkey. Viceversa, that human other organism acts alone in the monkey and on no.

The sequence of the 191 amino acids are on linear chain, and carry out two fundamentalally set in action a lot important in the human organism: the increase of the body and it regulated the cellular metabolism, above all that proteico.

After all, therefore, GH does not act on other mammals and obviously it does not act on invertebrates. This can simply be demonstrated from the fact that the hormone in issue demands, for being usable, of the specific receivers on the cellular membrane of the cell target on which it acts. Obviously the corals do not have receivers of this type, also because of they had, would mean that they use the GH they same, phenomenon somewhat improbable.

Photo by Antonio D' Abrosca aka Adabros

The increase increases...As it can to then explain the increased increase, the increase of the metabolism of i corals in concomitanza to the increase of the calcification?

Because in reality this it happens. Some of more shoe to you acquariofili, that they use this method, has had increases of formose, cervicornis, nobilis, montipore, until 40 cm the year. Also the foliose, the LPS, the soft ones they increase of dimensions in impressive way.

Bè an idea on what can to succeed in water I have made myself. Precise therefore that the short one explanation that will follow will be fruit of my experiences and mine observations, but that does not mean that she is the absolute truth.

The và explanation searched in the typical, structural and molecular characteristics therefore, of the GH. Being one enough small protein, a lot probably, if not sure, the GH put in the glutton is broken off. This it is the fulcrum of the argument. It is not therefore the integral GH that acts directly on corals, also because for the reasons said over it is much improbable one, but is the broken GH that influences the increase and the increase of the metabolism.

In the moment in which we go to feeding corals with the glutton, in reality we add in water many amino acids. In fact when the protein is broken off it comes exactly cracked in many pieces, everyone of which constituted they give amino acids. It will be therefore the abundance of determines to you and very specific amino acids that the increased rate of increase involves.

This is the only one explanation to which they have arrived after various observations. In this way is effectively possible to explain, from a point of view biological, as the GH can influence corals.

These amino acids that they come inserted with the GH are added to the amino acids that they insert, generally, approximately 2 hours before the glutton, in order to favor just the assimilation of this last one.

The rest of the members of the glutton (cozze, vongole etc etc) will go to feeding bacterial cultivations, the sponges and all the benthic organisms, than in this way will go to feed corals. It is succeeded therefore to possession one situation of maximum saturation from the alimentary point of view of the coral, and therefore this has the possibility to calcify, seen the abundance of the nourishing substances and substances chemistries.

All this speech obviously it does not regard the fish that are not minimally influence to you from the abundance or less than present amino acids in water; in effects i fish have absolutely normal rates of growth.

Generally one of aspects that characterize the Blue Method Coral are given from the fact that after a short period of arrangement of the system one is had reduction of the nourishing that remain stable generally towards the zero, it is for how much care the phosphates that as far as nitrates. All it arranges giova of the amino acid contribution.

Given Và attention above all at the beginnig in how much everyone must find the own doses of glutton to somministrare to the bathtub. A fundamental aspect is in watching the own animals and understanding how much have need of nutriment.

I hope to have cleared one P2o more this, than between all, I think one of the best methods than conduction of a bathtub of barrier, is if the GH is used, is if they take cue from the method also without to use the hormone.

A beloved salute to all i readers of the Magazine and soon!

Neither the author of the article, the acquariofili mention some to you on the same one, therefore like reefitalia.net they are responsible of an improper use of the hormone; it is from the legislative point of view, he is from the use just that everyone of it makes. They are not moreover responsible of eventual damages to things or animals.

Fabio Oggiano aka SiR

Copyright @ ReefItalia

Home:The Magazine archives:Magazine January - February 2007:Forum
Copyright @ Reefitalia.net - all i straight it reserves you - Powered by Of Abrosca Antonio 2006 Conditions of Use Declaration for the Privacy
IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE.......
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 01/30/2007, 09:47 PM
reefaholic

There must be someone on RC who can translate accurately - anyone know someone who can? Please direct them to this thread.

Visit our CTARS club website by clicking the 'red house' icon above :)
Old 01/31/2007, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

That translation is horrible.. please, be patient, and I will translate the article as soon as possible!!
Old 01/31/2007, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

That translation is horrible.. please, be patient, and I will translate the article as soon as possible!!
Old 01/31/2007, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

I can't wait for a proper translation...my bathtubs don't look ANYTHING like those awesome reef tanks....lol

Click on the red house for my tank thread