Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/14/2007, 11:09 PM
More than meets the eye

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Patterso
Make the recipe without the gln (or whatever you intend to use for AA'), dose the AA's before feeding the pappone. It has been posted both ways. I did it with the gln in the pappone. 500mg will be spread out over probably a 90 day period. Once I get to 90 days I will make a new recipe and whatever is left from first batch will be thrown away and replaced with new.
If you were to add the gln before the pappone, what would your doseing regiman look like?
Old 01/15/2007, 12:44 AM
Registered Member.

DarkXerox...i got your message.your pm box is full I look forward to it!
Old 01/15/2007, 02:54 AM
Pappone Nerd

Ok guys this is getting pretty off topic--we aren't here to talk about the politics of the fishing industry

Also a lot of people seem to be confused. This recipe here was physically given to me by Bisck of ReefItalia when visited his tank in Florence last month. This is the backbone of the Blu Coral method--and it is not necessary to use the HGH. Only a few tanks over there are even using HGH and the second anyone mentions some type of steroid or growth enhancement, it of course gets dwelled upon (think Barry Bonds, McGwire, etc.)

“Pappone” Recipe – Italian Coral Food (Updated 1/14/2007)

Materials:
5 Oysters
5 Mussels
5 Clams
5 Shrimp (NOT cocktail shrimp, the big scampi type w/o the head and the shell)
1 Tablespoon of Sugar (not corn syrup, etc.)
200 mL of RO/DI water
10 g of Red Algae (Palmaria palmata; Bisck uses Julian Sprung's brand)
and/or 10 g of Spirulina, 10 g of Nori (spirulina is what Bisck prefers)

Methods: Make SURE that all ingredients are the freshest possible and DO NOT use frozen foods (unless it is impossible for you). Make sure everything "live" is rinsed and cleaned before putting it into the blender. Put all the ingredients into the blender and blend for 5 min, wait 2 min for it to cool, 5 more min blending, 2 min of waiting again, then finally another 5 min of blending (the pausing is so that the solution doesn't get too hot and "cook" from the heat of the blender/blades). Pour into cube forms (approx 10 mL each). Then freeze it all—you want to minimize how long everything is at room temperature.

Procedure: One hour prior to turning off your lights, you have the option of adding Amino acids to the tank*. (For example, 11pm Halides off, add AA’s, 12am, actinics off, then add pappone). Take off the cup of your skimmer, but leave the skimmer running (so you don’t have a massive drop in O2 levels overnight). After the lights are off, start with only a ¼ of a cube per WEEK for every 400 L of tank water (approx 100 gallons). Be sure to measure NO3 and PO4 the next morning so that these parameters don't spike after feeding. You can reduce the amount fed if you are having nutrient problems. Also don’t forget to put the skimmer cup back on the next morning before the lights go back on.

*If everything is going well. It is good to wait and see how the tank is doing for awhile before trying this. The whole point here is that you don't want to change anything too fast, because nothing good happens quickly in this hobby. (Another method to grind up amino acid pills in the next batch of food; however Bisck found that it sometimes causes diatom outbreaks in his tank).
Old 01/15/2007, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

Its ashame that there aren't more months in the year, because all of theses should be tank of the month
Old 01/15/2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

Its ashame that there aren't more months in the year, because all of theses should be tank of the month
Old 01/15/2007, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

DarkXerox,

Thanks for all your input. I knew the AA's went prior to the pappone and not in the pappone, I appreciate that confirmation. Also, keep us posted on that report the Italian reefers are reportedly brewing up. Any contributors to this thread a part of that process? If so maybe they could chime in.
Old 01/15/2007, 11:29 PM
Premium Member

Amino Acids is a vague term isn't it? I also don't see how much AA to add to a tank. If I were to pick Glutamine for my AA, how much would you add before the Pappone addition?
Old 01/16/2007, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

What i want to know is whether the AA's the ITALIANS are adding prior to lights off are powder or liquid.
Old 01/16/2007, 02:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Serioussnaps
What i want to know is whether the AA's the ITALIANS are adding prior to lights off are powder or liquid.
eccomi eccomi

ho risposto anche sul post aperto da Thommy su reefitalia.net, e rispondo anche qui....
gli amminoacidi che si usano nel metodo BC sono "amminocomplex" della "long life" e si comprano in farmacia.Sono in compresse e si usano mettendo 1/4 di compressa alla settimana...per poi aumentare gradualmente le dosi.
Non sono molto facili da trovare....io stesso non li trovo mai! quindi si possono usare tranquillamente senza nessum problema quelli preparati appositamente per le vasche di barriera....quindi non ci sono limitazioni!liquidi o in polvere non fà differenza... quelli che trovate usate!

una cosa importante...se notate ciano batteri sospendete l'uso di amminoacidi!

ciao Fabio
Old 01/16/2007, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

I've worked on shrimp boats in the Gulf of Mexico. We NEVER froze the shrimp. I did not know anyone who froze their shrimp. It was packed in ice in the hull.

However, I'm not sure that freezing them would affect them because apparently they're going to get frozen again into cubes once they've been blended, anyways.

Having said this, I need to let you that we did "dumped" the shrimp into a "salt brine" to preserve them and turn the slighty rotten ones a whitish color before packing them into the hull. I don't believe that this was just NaCl, either. I'd have to ask a buddy of mine for the exact chemical formula.

Many of the shrimp would already have started to "turn bad" by the time the nets were wenched back onto deck. Some of these shrimp had been dead for 4 or 5 hours as the net was being pulled. The water would be in the mid to low 80's. They literally were drowned and crushed from the weight of all the other shrimp and fish in the nets. This was done to make them more visually appealing to the consumer.

Most people don't realize that fresh shrimp are clearish to slightly blueish in color. Rotten shrimp turn pink.

Last edited by speckled trout; 01/16/2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01/17/2007, 02:13 AM
Premium Member

So is Glutamine ok for the Amino Acid or do I need to add more??

Also how much for a 350g system, should i add before feeding pappone??
Old 01/17/2007, 12:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir
eccomi eccomi

ho risposto anche sul post aperto da Thommy su reefitalia.net, e rispondo anche qui....
gli amminoacidi che si usano nel metodo BC sono "amminocomplex" della "long life" e si comprano in farmacia.Sono in compresse e si usano mettendo 1/4 di compressa alla settimana...per poi aumentare gradualmente le dosi.
Non sono molto facili da trovare....io stesso non li trovo mai! quindi si possono usare tranquillamente senza nessum problema quelli preparati appositamente per le vasche di barriera....quindi non ci sono limitazioni!liquidi o in polvere non fà differenza... quelli che trovate usate!

una cosa importante...se notate ciano batteri sospendete l'uso di amminoacidi!

ciao Fabio

Darkxerox, would you do the honors again please?
Old 01/17/2007, 12:45 PM
More than meets the eye

I took italian in high school and I don't remember crap.
Old 01/17/2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Here ya go posted by fabio
I have answered also on the post opened from Thommy on reefitalia.net, and I answer here also....
the amino acids that are used in method BC are “amminocomplex” of “long life” and they are bought in pharmacy.In they are compressed and they are used putting 1/4 of compressed to the week...in order then to increase gradually the doses.
They are not much easy to find....same I never do not find them! therefore those can calmly be used without nessum problem purposely prepare you for the bathtubs of barrier....therefore not there are limitations!liquids or in powder do not make difference... those that found used!

one important what...if bacteria noticed ciano suspend the amino acid use!

hello Fabio
IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE.......
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 01/17/2007, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

OK I have a question................I followed everything by the letter. Now after feeding it I found that all the sps have no PE is this normal? Or did i do some thing wrong?
Michael
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 01/17/2007, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

It is not normal. I have increased PE since I started feeding (4 days ago) I use the original "pappone" and use as described.

Maybe you should check your Phosphate level. (can cause decreased PE) I constantly use GFO, just as a safety net.

Cut back on the feeding, do a WC, test, and have patience.

Leonardo

"Formosa Forest"
(click red house)
Old 01/17/2007, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

I only feed once today and after feeding them the corals PE closed. I can't see po4 being a factor so fast. Maybe they are full and will open up later. I will keep everyone posted.
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 01/17/2007, 04:33 PM
I Need An Intervention!

I notice that the day after feeding the colors are more vibrant especially anyting with blue / green / purple. I am seeing some initial signs of growth as well.
Old 01/17/2007, 04:33 PM
I Need An Intervention!

I notice that the day after feeding the colors are more vibrant especially anyting with blue / green / purple. I am seeing some initial signs of growth as well.
Old 01/17/2007, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by trueblackpercula
I only feed once today and after feeding them the corals PE closed. I can't see po4 being a factor so fast. Maybe they are full and will open up later. I will keep everyone posted.
Okay, didn't know that you just started. I feed at night, don't know what happens to the PE then. In the morning, evening and daytime PE is good, has slightly increased. (millepora and staghorns)

Keep posting you experiences please!

Leonardo
Old 01/17/2007, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

Same here, have been feeding for 5 weeks now with unbelievable results. Good PE and growth going nuts. Couldn't be happier with results.
Old 01/17/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Patterso
Same here, have been feeding for 5 weeks now with unbelievable results. Good PE and growth going nuts. Couldn't be happier with results.
Did you also ajust your water parameters? And what are these now?

Did you increased your feeding over time? Noticed any algae etc.?

Just curious

Leonardo
Old 01/17/2007, 07:26 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by pito
I took italian in high school and I don't remember crap.
I am married to an Italian and still don't know crap :lol
Old 01/17/2007, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonardo's Reef
Did you also ajust your water parameters? And what are these now?

Did you increased your feeding over time? Noticed any algae etc.?

Just curious

Leonardo
No on the parameters, Ca. 430, alk. 9, MG 1300. Still feed just once a week for now. And yes and the algae, a little more on the glass but not to bad really. That's why I haven't increased the feeding any more. Right now once a week is plenty. As everything grows in then I'll increase. My tank is pretty much frags or small colonies. But not for long
Old 01/17/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

You are not going to belive this but all corals have there full PE back and everything looks great. I will feed again once a week and keep track of the results and keep ya posted. But what AA is everyone using before the feeding? I am using Zeo brand and have had no ill affects with it.
Michael
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®