Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/11/2007, 09:04 PM

I have been in the food business a long time and the old joke in LA was if a truck flipped over on the 405, TJ was there trying to buy the contents for 10 cents on the dollar!
Old 01/12/2007, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

How many times has that bag been frozen and for how long? I guess the fresh stuff is gonna end up frozen anyways. To make my batch it only cost 6 bucks(not counting DT's oes and cyclopeeze, but they werent used heavily) and that was from the fresh market....dont know if it would be any cheaper.
Old 01/12/2007, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

You should have seen the guy at the Fresh Market when I said :"7 mussels, 6 clams, 2 scallops, and 2 shrimp."

My batch only cost 6 bucks...dont know if its any cheaper elsewhere.
Old 01/12/2007, 03:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Serioussnaps
How many times has that bag been frozen and for how long? I guess the fresh stuff is gonna end up frozen anyways. To make my batch it only cost 6 bucks(not counting DT's oes and cyclopeeze, but they werent used heavily) and that was from the fresh market....dont know if it would be any cheaper.
Il pappone preparato secondo la ricetta classica si conserva nel freezer, alla massima potenza(-18°C) per 1 mese e mezzo, non di più....

per altri tipi di pappone che state preparando non sò dirti.

ciao Fabio
Old 01/12/2007, 03:33 AM
Pappone Nerd

Guys I really think you should try to stick to the basic recipe before messing around with it first. There is a reason why I went through the effort of translating the recipe as well as addressing the concerns of some of the ReefItalia people when other people in this thread had issues when they modified the recipe or didn't follow the instructions. A lot of frozen foods could have been thawed/re-frozen a lot of times--leading to less than optimal nutrition and/or safety. All these issues have been discussed over and over again on ReefItalia, so please trust their experience.

However if you do decide to make a huge change to the pappone (not using fresh seafood, changing ratios, etc.), please don't place any of the blame for any losses with us or the recipe.
Old 01/12/2007, 03:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MadTownMax
Serioussnaps - Is there a reason you left out the tablespoon of Sugar?

I also made some pappone last week and I like the results so far... I especially liked the sugar addition (to swing the balance more in favor of bacteria) as I was having a slight algae problem (cyano .... ) and that has disappeared since I started dosing about 5ml every other day in my 120-gallon LPS/softie tank (sorry all you SPS guys :P )

I used about 1/2 cup ice cubes and then topped that off to fill the cup with water so that I didn't have to wait for the blender to stay cool during the long mixing process.

The I made some slight variations to my recipie also as the scallops available to me were super-size (like a hockey puck) and the clams were very small - so I used 10 clams and only 2 scallops - I only did this to try to preserve the ratio of seafood intended to be used in the recipie - hopefully I didn't mess it all up....

I froze the resulting mixture (like a milkshake) into four (4) quart-size sandwich bags and froze them flat in my freezer - I then thaw it out before feeding the tank and measure it with a pippette to get an idea of serving size until I get used to it...

If anyone has any additions/corrections/comments about any of this I'm all ears.

And where is that Italian article! I'm waiting
Ciao l'articolo è stato spedito a Thomas nei primi giorni di Gennaio....spero che lo stia traducendo. non sò dirti altro

riguardo al tuo discorso, ti posso dire che se avevi problemi con i ciano, evidentemente hai esagerato un pò con l'alimentazione...controlla sempre tutti i valori..se vedi alghette di vario tipo diminuisci subito la razione di pappone..sempre se si tratta del pappone classico, quello preparato secondo la ricetta.....per altri tipi di pappone non posso aiutarti.
attento anche allo zucchero...se ne dosi troppo rischi di incorrere in un collasso della flora batterica....non succede nulla, ma potresti ritrovarti con l'acqua della vasca bianca!quindi segui sempre le dosi consigliate...mai esagerare!se dovessi avere un fenomeno di questo tipo(acqua completamente bianca) basta aggiungere un integratore batterico, per ristabilire la flora, e nell'arco di 1 o 2 giorni tutto torna alla normalità.....

lo zucchero è molto utile, ma come per tutte le cose deve essere usato con attenzione.

ciao Fabio
Old 01/12/2007, 03:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkXerox
Guys I really think you should try to stick to the basic recipe before messing around with it first. There is a reason why I went through the effort of translating the recipe as well as addressing the concerns of some of the ReefItalia people when other people in this thread had issues when they modified the recipe or didn't follow the instructions. A lot of frozen foods could have been thawed/re-frozen a lot of times--leading to less than optimal nutrition and/or safety. All these issues have been discussed over and over again on ReefItalia, so please trust their experience.

However if you do decide to make a huge change to the pappone (not using fresh seafood, changing ratios, etc.), please don't place any of the blame for any losses with us or the recipe.

Old 01/12/2007, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Hello I am highly interested in this method, it took me a long time to read every page.

Anyways I had a question for you DarkXerox you said that we should use the original recipe etc…..

My question is what about reefers with nanos or much smaller tanks than the Italian reefers?

Couldn’t you cut the recipe in half or just change it to the proportions you would need according to your own tank?

I just can’t see my self making that big batch for my small tank.
Old 01/12/2007, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Hello I am highly interested in this method, it took me a long time to read every page.

Anyways I had a question for you DarkXerox you said that we should use the original recipe etc…..

My question is what about reefers with nanos or much smaller tanks than the Italian reefers?

Couldn’t you cut the recipe in half or just change it to the proportions you would need according to your own tank?

I just can’t see my self making that big batch for my small tank.
Old 01/12/2007, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

Just keep the ratios the same (or as close as you can) and don't over feed slowly ween your system onto it....
Old 01/13/2007, 12:28 AM
I Need An Intervention!

I started tonight.

I made the Pappone with the following (all fresh ingredients) (mussels were not available)

5 Wild Sea Scallop
5 Large Scampi Shrimp
5 Cherry Stone Clams
5 Fresh Oysters

1 Tablespoon of Sugar
200 ML RO/DI
10G Nori
10G Julian Sprung Palmatta algea
500 mg L-glutamine

Because my skimemr is external I turned it off and instead place a pump with a venturi in the sump to keep the o2 levels up for tonight.

Do you guys think that there will be issues with the substitution of scallops for mussels? The clams were huge as were the oysters and scallops.

Also I have a few chunks in the mix but for the most part I purred it really well.
Old 01/13/2007, 12:30 AM
Space Cowboy

I'm truly sorry if anyone mis-interpereted my post. I was not trying to change the recipie at all, just "translate it" to the seafood sizes available to me. I would like to make this recipie as close as possible to the original

One suggestion... if the amounts of raw seafood were translated into weight (grams or ounces) it would be much more relevant than 5 clams (the post above is a perfect example; are cherry clams the same size and nutritional content as littlneck clams ?) .... there are a lot of varieties of shell fish out there, and I doubt the same ones are available in Italy and Milwaukee
Old 01/13/2007, 12:35 AM
I Need An Intervention!

Cherry clams are bigger in terms of shell size I know but not cost. All and all this cost me about 20.00 to make and that included buying the glutamine powder. I think for the most part like all recipes amounts can be tweaked up or down a little with no ill effects. I am going to see how this goes and the amount I made is enough to share with a good friend of mine. I honestly have enough of this for my tank and his for a few months

I measure out the ice cube tray and ironically the one I got is 10ml on the dot

I do water changes on Saturdays so I will be feeding on Friday nights. I think this will also help take care of any excess nutrients in the system.
Old 01/13/2007, 12:38 AM
Premium Member

Good point MadTownMax. I was wondering about that one myself, what I did was use approximately equal weights/volume for the main ingredients, because there are so many different sizes of clams and shrimp etc. So far it has worked well and did another feeding tonight. However I add the AA's two hours before lights out and feed the pappone right at all dark.
Cal - 480
Alk - 10 dkh
Mg - 1470
PO4- .01
Old 01/13/2007, 12:44 AM
I Need An Intervention!

So what are you using as a standard then?
Old 01/13/2007, 01:13 AM
Premium Member

No standard yet. I've only made one recipe and the largest volume of everything was the 5 shrimps, so I just made each of the others approximately equal to them. I know that the developers of the recipe are quite set on what goes in, but they didn't say weights or anything, so I just assumed equal amounts of each.
Cal - 480
Alk - 10 dkh
Mg - 1470
PO4- .01
Old 01/13/2007, 01:24 AM
I Need An Intervention!

That is what I tried to do. Everything was close in size so I guessed that the weights were pretty close.

I test 0.01 on the PO4 prior to the feed and 0.00 on the NO3. I will be following this closely.
Old 01/13/2007, 03:03 AM
Registered Member

Took me a couple hours but nice read.

Thanks.

I think I'll try it in a seperate tank and see how it goes.
HIS OPINIONS COURAGEOUSLY AND HONESTLY
Old 01/13/2007, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

I also started today:

I have used the original pappone, described by DarkXerox;

5 mussels
5 clams
5 chinese gamba's (large shrimp)
5 cockle's

5 gram Spirulina Powder (less then described)

250 ml RO/DI
1 tablespoon of sugar (=15 gram)

This was mixed 3 x 5 minutes.

I will begin to feed 1/4 cube a week, slowly building up.

Thanks guys from Reefitalia, invincible569 and DarkXerox!

Leonardo

"Formosa Forest"
(click red house)
Old 01/13/2007, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MadTownMax
I'm truly sorry if anyone mis-interpereted my post. I was not trying to change the recipie at all, just "translate it" to the seafood sizes available to me. I would like to make this recipie as close as possible to the original

One suggestion... if the amounts of raw seafood were translated into weight (grams or ounces) it would be much more relevant than 5 clams (the post above is a perfect example; are cherry clams the same size and nutritional content as littlneck clams ?) .... there are a lot of varieties of shell fish out there, and I doubt the same ones are available in Italy and Milwaukee
Ciao...
riguardo al discorso "grandezza" degli ingredienti, io non sarei troppo fiscale....la ricetta classica prevede l'uso di cozze, vongole ecc ecc...5 di ogniuna, ma poi potete regolarvi da soli benissimo...magari se le vongole sono proprio piccole, ne mettete 6 o 7....senza mai esagerare però! la ricetta base è appunto di 5 pezzi di ogni ingrediente, cercate quindi di non esagerare mai con le quantità, altrimenti cambia tutto...
se io dico 1/2 cubetto di pappone per 400 litri, mi riferisco alla ricetta classica...se uno però prepara il pappone con 10 di ogni ingrediente, la dose non può essere di 1/2 cubetto, ma di 1/4.....è abbastanza semplice il discorso.....quindi per evitare incomprensioni vi prego di attenervi quanto più possibile alla ricetta originale. 1/2 cubetto sono circa 5-6 grammi. Non vi fermate troppo su questo fatto però...siete abbastanza liberi di variare un pò le dosi.....quindi 5 oppure 6 cozze, se sono piccole e cosi via....

ciao Fabio
Old 01/13/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skippyreef
Cherry clams are bigger in terms of shell size I know but not cost. All and all this cost me about 20.00 to make and that included buying the glutamine powder. I think for the most part like all recipes amounts can be tweaked up or down a little with no ill effects. I am going to see how this goes and the amount I made is enough to share with a good friend of mine. I honestly have enough of this for my tank and his for a few months

I do water changes on Saturdays so I will be feeding on Friday nights. I think this will also help take care of any excess nutrients in the system.
Se dosi le quantità giuste di pappone, non hai problemi di fosfati o altri nutrienti, quindi puoi dosarlo anche il sabato notte,....dopo aver fatto il cambio, magari la mattina....se invece hai i nutrienti che tendono ad alzarsi allora è probabile che ne stai dosando troppo....parlo sempre del pappone classico!

ciao!
Old 01/13/2007, 02:17 PM
Space Cowboy

Thanks Sir!

I'll make my next recipie with 5 small scallops, 5 littleneck clams, 5 mussels, and 5 scampi-size shrimp.
Old 01/13/2007, 03:25 PM
Pappone Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by fload
Just keep the ratios the same (or as close as you can) and don't over feed slowly ween your system onto it....
Fload thanks, that is exactly what I was trying to get at If you have problems, they are a lot easier to diagnose when none of the variables are out of wack.

I'll ask about the size of the clams though, but the scampi size shrimp are correct (like the 1.5-2inch shrimp or so) since I asked about that. The mussels and clams that I saw (and ate) in Italy were basically the same size as the ones here. The clams were about the size or a little bigger than the circle you can make with your thumb and first finger (like when giving the "ok" gesture).

If you guys want, I can repost the recipe again here so that you dont have to dig through the thread too much.
Old 01/13/2007, 03:41 PM
Premium Member

DarkXerox....
If you guys want, I can repost the recipe again here so that you dont have to dig through the thread too much.

Please, If you can. I am thoroughly confused at this point.

Thanks
Old 01/13/2007, 03:52 PM
Pappone Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by skippyreef

Skippy, try to see if you can dose the glutamine a couple of hours first (rather than mixing it into the pappone). This seems to be the general practice. Start out with say...half a cube (1/2 cube for every 400/l is what you want to ramp up to).