Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2007, 02:26 AM
Registered Member

Man i just got to this thread and i am about to read the whole thing but 2 things--------

The HGH(of course )-------Are there any biologists or doctors that could chime in and tell me why something that is designed for humans would have any effect on corals?

Also, wouldnt the fish be eating the same stuff they feed? Why aren't the fish gargantuan?Affects corals and not fish?

I guess i better read the whole thing before i go hauling off questions and comments, but if anyone sees this post and can chime in then it would be appreciated!
Old 01/08/2007, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

IIRC, when the HGH is added to the tank, certain amino acids are released into the water and it's these micronutrients that are utilised by the corals and not the actual HGH, I think??
Old 01/08/2007, 02:12 PM
Pappone Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Serioussnaps
Man i just got to this thread and i am about to read the whole thing but 2 things--------

The HGH(of course )-------Are there any biologists or doctors that could chime in and tell me why something that is designed for humans would have any effect on corals?

Also, wouldnt the fish be eating the same stuff they feed? Why aren't the fish gargantuan?Affects corals and not fish?

I guess i better read the whole thing before i go hauling off questions and comments, but if anyone sees this post and can chime in then it would be appreciated!
we went over this about 5 times already, but in short, HGH breaks down rapidly when it isn't frozen, plus non humanoid primates dont have the correct cellular receptors.

repeat: HGH is NOT required for the Blu Coral method and you can get much better performance from the amino acid addition in the pappone.
Old 01/08/2007, 05:47 PM
Premium Member

can i use this product as the Amino acids in Pappone?

Greg.

Old 01/08/2007, 06:04 PM

might not want to add something with silica in it...
Old 01/08/2007, 06:48 PM
Premium Member

Silica Seems to be ok in reef tank. from what i read

link

Greg.
Old 01/08/2007, 06:52 PM

wow! learn something new every day.
Old 01/08/2007, 07:01 PM
SPS PIMP

Quote:
Originally posted by solbby
I am dosing 1.6mg for my 120 gallon tank. I am adding it to the top off water so that it will be added slowly. The L-aparatic acid I acquired from a GNC in pure power form. As for frequency I am starting slow by adding 1.6mg every two weeks.
Hey Solbby

Have you noticed any differences in your reef?
Old 01/08/2007, 07:38 PM
get your reef on

thank you Sir and DarkXerox for breaking down the italian formula

and thank you invincible569 for starting the whole thing.

I just read the whole thread, now I can't wait for the article!

With luck I will be able to post crazy before and after photos a year from now, or better yet six months

Thanks!
Old 01/09/2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jthnhale
thank you Sir and DarkXerox for breaking down the italian formula

and thank you invincible569 for starting the whole thing.

I just read the whole thread, now I can't wait for the article!

With luck I will be able to post crazy before and after photos a year from now, or better yet six months

Thanks!
E' sempre un piacere per me

ciao!
Old 01/09/2007, 12:10 PM
Premium Member

are you guys using fresh seafood or frozen or what?...i live in bum F%^&*& egypt and cant get fresh seafood around here
Old 01/09/2007, 01:10 PM
Premium Member

are you guys using fresh seafood or frozen or what?...i live in bum F%^&*& egypt and cant get fresh seafood around here

Hi,

I bet a high quality flake would do you good.

Paul
Old 01/09/2007, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sprite
Che bello il mar rosso!!!

si usano solo ingredienti freschi...non congelati!
il pappone preparato in genere dura per circa 1 mese, 1 mese e mezzo......poi è saggio rifarlo.

ciao!
Old 01/09/2007, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sprite
Another guy some pages back had the same problem and I think it was decided that if you can't get fresh then get frozen as a second choice but wash everything really well to get rid of any preservatives.

Personally after thawing and throwing away that water I'd let it soak in RODI water for 5 min or so then rinse well again.
Old 01/10/2007, 12:12 AM
Premium Member

I second what Wildthing suggests. After reading what Sir stated about frequency I did a second feeding last night, same results, excellent polyp response. I had about 12" of skimmate foam sitting on top of the water column in the double beckett skimmer.
Cal - 480
Alk - 10 dkh
Mg - 1470
PO4- .01
Old 01/10/2007, 01:14 AM
Registered Member

I have officialy joined the bandwagon. I started a modified a "pappone" feeding schedule for my tank.

I used:

6 Prince Edward Mussels, 5 Little Neck Clams, 2 Shrimp, Some PE Mysis, equivalent of 4 formula 1 sized cubes of Cyclopeeze, Teaspoon of DT's oyster eggs(couldnt get oysters,,,out of season)

I have also picked up amino acids from GNC but because of all the extra stuff in it I am waiting to consult with Randy Holmes Farley about all the ingredients and possible consequences of using before i use it. It seems as if you can buy each amino separately or at least many of them and it is nothing in it but pure AA besides the cellulose capsule which you would leave out, didnt go that route today because I couldnt get many of them...i may add just some pure glutamine on the next go round.

Instead of cubes i just poured it into a ziplock bag and flatened and froze it. I dont need the cubes as I know how much i can feed my tank and since i didnt use HGH i dont need a dosage amount....just feeding really.

My corals are going crazy over it...my fish are going crazy because they smell it but cant eat it due to particle size...its funny watching them get a feeding response and they cant eat!

BTW...anyone found out anything about EXACTLY what AA's are causing these great responses in Italy? I cant read Italian so if anyone has found this out please holler at me or post it in here.

I think this feeding method combined with BB sounds like my ideal philosophy!
Old 01/10/2007, 11:33 PM
Space Cowboy

Serioussnaps - Is there a reason you left out the tablespoon of Sugar?

I also made some pappone last week and I like the results so far... I especially liked the sugar addition (to swing the balance more in favor of bacteria) as I was having a slight algae problem (cyano .... ) and that has disappeared since I started dosing about 5ml every other day in my 120-gallon LPS/softie tank (sorry all you SPS guys :P )

I used about 1/2 cup ice cubes and then topped that off to fill the cup with water so that I didn't have to wait for the blender to stay cool during the long mixing process.

The I made some slight variations to my recipie also as the scallops available to me were super-size (like a hockey puck) and the clams were very small - so I used 10 clams and only 2 scallops - I only did this to try to preserve the ratio of seafood intended to be used in the recipie - hopefully I didn't mess it all up....

I froze the resulting mixture (like a milkshake) into four (4) quart-size sandwich bags and froze them flat in my freezer - I then thaw it out before feeding the tank and measure it with a pippette to get an idea of serving size until I get used to it...

If anyone has any additions/corrections/comments about any of this I'm all ears.

And where is that Italian article! I'm waiting
Old 01/10/2007, 11:44 PM
Premium Member

MadTownMax.... Those scallops are called Sea Scallops as opposed to Bay Scallops. They cost about 5X more than the smaller ones, but I'll bet they work just fine. If you have any left PM me for a killer recipe.
Old 01/11/2007, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MadTownMax
Serioussnaps - Is there a reason you left out the tablespoon of Sugar?

I also made some pappone last week and I like the results so far... I especially liked the sugar addition (to swing the balance more in favor of bacteria) as I was having a slight algae problem (cyano .... ) and that has disappeared since I started dosing about 5ml every other day in my 120-gallon LPS/softie tank (sorry all you SPS guys :P )

I used about 1/2 cup ice cubes and then topped that off to fill the cup with water so that I didn't have to wait for the blender to stay cool during the long mixing process.

The I made some slight variations to my recipie also as the scallops available to me were super-size (like a hockey puck) and the clams were very small - so I used 10 clams and only 2 scallops - I only did this to try to preserve the ratio of seafood intended to be used in the recipie - hopefully I didn't mess it all up....

I froze the resulting mixture (like a milkshake) into four (4) quart-size sandwich bags and froze them flat in my freezer - I then thaw it out before feeding the tank and measure it with a pippette to get an idea of serving size until I get used to it...

If anyone has any additions/corrections/comments about any of this I'm all ears.

And where is that Italian article! I'm waiting
I left out sugar because I dont want to add a carbon source. For one, my tank yet i just started it over/made SPS dominant, the water and rock is 4 years old...plenty of bacteria. Also, I want to move slowly and sugar brings in a whole other variable. I did buy aminos from GNC which has tons of carbon sources like sugar(which would add aminos and a sugar source)but I am afraid to add it without consulting someone on what all the ingredients in it may cause in my system that i have worked so hard on.

I dont take a ml measurement...i just eye it by knowing my system very well and what i can do and get away with and what effect will occurr.

I hope you used RO/DI ice cubes.....tap water can have all kinds of bad stuff in it!!! I highly recommend against it. I used probably more water than the recipe recommended(tank water) until i got a consistency i liked..i kept the ingredients and tank water in frige and freezer for about 30 minutes prior to blending and i didnt have to stop to keep it cool either!

Yeah i used the 2 scallops, 7 clams deal also 6 or 7 prince edward mussels...i dont think it really mattters how you modify it as long as it comes close....some things I have worked for ME and i incorporated them.

As of yet I havent been leaving my skimmer off for more than a couple of hours.....trying to let my tank get used to it......must go slow...no need to cause problems.

I like it.....I only made 1 sandwich bag.....each bag will be fresher if they arent frozen as long.
Old 01/11/2007, 01:46 AM
Premium Member

What dosage of AA's are all of you applying this method using? Somewhere back in the thread I read that the dosage calculated was very, very small in the neighborhood of 1.7mg which is miniscule. I have been dosing about 1mg each of glutamine and L-Argenine. Maybe I am low, but these things are drugs and I would hate to trial and error on the high side by accident. Even at that low of a dose I noticed some very positive things in terms of polyp extension in a total of about 270 gal. In Canada L-Aspartic acid is illegal so I have to go with the two that I am using. I'd be really interested in how much AA's others are dosing and what their net observations have been. Cheers
Cal - 480
Alk - 10 dkh
Mg - 1470
PO4- .01
Old 01/11/2007, 05:51 PM
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Serioussnaps
I hope you used RO/DI ice cubes.....tap water can have all kinds of bad stuff in it!!!
Yes, I used RO/DI ice cubes

Quote:
Originally posted by Henry Bowman
MadTownMax.... Those scallops are called Sea Scallops as opposed to Bay Scallops. They cost about 5X more than the smaller ones, but I'll bet they work just fine. If you have any left PM me for a killer recipe.
Thanks for the offer, but dont' worry - the remaining 3 scallops were in my belly pretty quick - once I got home and realized how much they were I had to taste them to see how good my corals eat
Old 01/11/2007, 06:31 PM

I have a buddy who insists that when he dies, he wants to come back as one of my fish...

Question: Why don't you guys buy the mixed seafood bag at an Asian store? It has all those items (scallops, mussels, clams, squid, octopus, etc.) and is very cheap.

I do that and chop it up into my prepared foods (ala Melev) and add varying combinations of cyclopeze, spirulina, nori, mysis, plankton, vitamins, selcon, and zooplankton. I am thinking about adding AA too but am not sure exactly how to proceed, hence my interest in this thread. BTW, my fish are seriously fat, my corals (particularly the SPS) are very healthy, and my aiptasia are some of the biggest in captivity.
Old 01/11/2007, 06:39 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
I have a buddy who insists that when he dies, he wants to come back as one of my fish...

Question: Why don't you guys buy the mixed seafood bag at an Asian store? It has all those items (scallops, mussels, clams, squid, octopus, etc.) and is very cheap.

I do that and chop it up into my prepared foods (ala Melev) and add varying combinations of cyclopeze, spirulina, nori, mysis, plankton, vitamins, selcon, and zooplankton. I am thinking about adding AA too but am not sure exactly how to proceed, hence my interest in this thread. BTW, my fish are seriously fat, my corals (particularly the SPS) are very healthy, and my aiptasia are some of the biggest in captivity.

I agree on the mixed frozen seafood package from the Asian market. Much cheaper and just as good.

One of these days I'm gonna have to check out your 1000G tank I keep hearing about
Old 01/11/2007, 08:47 PM

dhnguyen: and you are right up the road...I should come visit sometime soon. I was just up in Kingston a few days ago. I hope you are hearing good things about my tank!

PM to get together.
Old 01/11/2007, 09:01 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
Trader Joe's also has a mixed seafood bag that I have been using for some time if an Asian store isn't close by.

-Ken

MASLAC member