Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Greater Iowa Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/11/2008, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

Anyone bring back sand from diving

I thought about bringing a bag or two of sand from snorkeling next week. Just wondered if anyone had done that & if they got anything cool out of it.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

YOU MIGHT GET A NICE PAIR OF HAND CUFFS DONT THINK U CAN BRING THAT BACK
Old 01/11/2008, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

Actually depending on where he is going, it could be allowed.

The laws really vary from state to state and sometimes even jurisdiction to jurisdiction if there is no state law in place.

Plus I am not sure what the laws are about collecting in foreign waters if you are going someplace like the Dominican or the like.

Just make sure you research the laws regulating natural resources whereever you are going before collecting.

Also make sure you are a ways from shore if it is a heavily populated area as pollution becomes a concern near shorelines.
Old 01/11/2008, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

I hate to rain on your parade, but I don't think the risks of what you could bring back or the laws that may be broken are worth the reward. If I were you I would just focus on enjoying the snorkeling trip and forget about trying to bring anything back with you.

Now if you are headed to Australia and can bring me back a pair of wild caught black ocellaris in that sand I say, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR???
Old 01/11/2008, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

Oh and if it is in the ocean and worth having in your reef tank I think Walt SMith has already bought all the rights to it...
Old 01/11/2008, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

I know people who bring back beach sand & shells all the time. What difference does a bag of wet sand make? Last trip I bought a good bunch of shells & small rock back for the tank. I am pretty sure the law says plant or animal life. Im not bringing back corals or crabs, just some sand. (hopefully with a few cool micro critters)

And Travis, it is just Mexico but I am planning an Australia trip in a couple of years so I will keep you in mind.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Australia would be amazing.

I personally would not mess with bringing wild sand back to my tank though. You could get something cool or more likely something crazy that eats corals or infects fish. I like to play it safe...
Old 01/11/2008, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

BTW where in Mexico are you headed? I have been to Cancun (Pre-Katrina) and Puerto Vallerta (year ago).
Old 01/11/2008, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

We are flying to San Diego tonight & then cruising down to Cabo San Lucas & then Ensenada on the way back.

We have been to Cozumel & Cancun a couple times. The Water was nice but the islands were **** holes. We were most impressed with Beliz. It was really nice.
Old 01/11/2008, 04:50 PM
Registered my member

Sand is heavy and I barely make it under the weight limits when Im heading back home as it is. I brought a few intact urchin tests, and dead coral fragments, but that's about it.

Have fun on the trip. Take some pics of the coral if you can.

Chris
Old 01/11/2008, 05:59 PM
Premium Member

el Republicana Dominica, which is where I am right now is pretty easy to get stuff in and out of. The problems come when you hit US customs in Miami, or Chicago if you exit through Puerto Rico. They even took dulce de'leche from me in Chicago coming back from Buenos Aires last year.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

all you have to do is research the states wildlife laws to find out.

what state are you going to?

last time i was deep sea fishing in the gulf offshore of tarpon srings and clearwater florida i was pulling up snagged peices of rock that would make your mouth water. this rock was definately the best looking rock you could imagine.
if i hadnt been in 60 feet of water i probably would have jumped off the boat just to see what was down there.

my buddies uncle who owned the boat said that there were jewfish down there as big as a car and hes seen em.

a jewfish is the largest fish in the grouper family.

just check the laws, i know that you can harvest some stuff in florida, but i would imagine you would need a sportfishing license or something to that effect.
depends on what state or country you are heading too.

have fun.

ahh i read up further and your going to mexico, i dunno what the laws would be.
have fun anyways.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

The last time i was surfing in So Cal. I wanted to bring home some kelp or crabs or something so I emailed the California department of fish and game and asked the laws reguarding that. They emailed me back and said that i could take whatever i wanted home with me as long as it was of legal size for that species and all i needed to do was buy a 1 day fishing license. But alas, I came to the conclusion that my tank temp was way too warm for any of it to live anyway.