Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

Your opinions on Red Sea Salt

I just checked my Reef Crystal mix and Calcium is reading 320ppm. Time to switch.
So far Iˇ¦m leaning toward the Red Sea salt since it claims itˇ¦s 87% natural and was ties for the best in a MACNA study.

So any long term users of this salt and liked it? Were the readings consistent from bucket to bucket? Thanks
Old 01/04/2008, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

Ive been using it for abiout 9 months now and im very happy with it.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Several months too, after months of IO, one bag of Kent (6dKH), and very good Tropic Marin Pro Reef.

Better, then IO I had, but I prefer to change (add) salt with different composition to compensate weaknesses of any salt.

There is Red Sea Pro salt, with increased levels of Mg and Ca - bought, but didn't tried yet - my Mg kit is on back order.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:21 AM
Huge Member

I use it to de-ice my driveway

Keep using the reef crystals, just add a little Ca++

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64
Old 01/04/2008, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

All salt brands seem to have their short comings. Could be with alk, calcium,mg , inconsistent bashes, too much or too little of any particular trace elements. After doing some reading its hard to say any salt top the others.
Even if you find success with one it does not mean the next time you open that brand package it will be the same.
The only way to know if the basics such as alk , calcium, ph etc is to test every time you open a new package or even every time you do a water change.
Every salt brand has its following.
Old 01/04/2008, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowboarda42
I use it to de-ice my driveway

Keep using the reef crystals, just add a little Ca++
Pretty expensive to be used de-icing your driveway...can you elaborate a little? I'm pretty set on switching from RC, as it certainly seems to be the same as IO. Another option is to mix it with Oceanic 50/50.
Old 01/04/2008, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

If you are going to start adding to reef crystals you could as well just use IO and add to that. Increase alk and calcium.
Why pay the extra for reef crystals.
Old 01/04/2008, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

You know salt is salt. One isnt way better than the next. I have used IO, Tropic Marine pro, HW Marine mix, HW Reefer, Oceanic and Coral Life. Some have more ca or alk, some have less. They all seem to perform the same. We all add ca and alk any way. So why send 20 or 30 dollars more on salt?
Old 01/04/2008, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

I've been using Red Sea Salt for about 8 years and have been very pleased with it.
Old 01/04/2008, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

I've been using red sea salt for about 2 years now, pleased with it. Isn't there a red sea pro salt that has more in it? Mainly for RO water?
Old 01/04/2008, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

ive been using red sea salt for about 4 months now.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DamnPepShrimp
I've been using red sea salt for about 2 years now, pleased with it. Isn't there a red sea pro salt that has more in it? Mainly for RO water?
Label says - for RO and soft tap water, contains elevated levels of Ca and buffering capacity.
Seller's website - "has the desired calcium and magnesium content".