Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/14/2007, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

Large Angels with SPS?

I have set-up a 600 gallon system over the last 12 months and have been leaning towards predominantly SPS corals. I currently have an adult Chrysurus Angel and would like to have one or two more large angels and was curious as to peoples experiences with Large Angels and SPS. Is this possible.

Thanks

p.s. Post pictures if you do have Large Angels and SPS!!!!
Old 11/15/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

No Angels with sps or any reef for that matter.I had one when I first got into sps and he killed 2 over night, they like to pick at everything
Old 11/15/2007, 10:56 PM
><O>Euro-Reef*R*C500 <O><

its been done alot on here if you can do a search like late at night or early morning thier should be numereous threads.
i have a blue face and a emperor in mine. not long though only like three months so i cant speak for longevity
Old 11/15/2007, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

I had a juvi Chrysurus that I raised from about 1.5" to 3" and he annihilated any sps polyps that extended at all. The corals wouldn't die, but never colored up real well or grew. Never really seemed to touch any monti's however, but that is probably because they generally have smaller polyps. I also had a flame that was an occasional nipper, so I decided no angels at all.
Old 11/16/2007, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

I have a griffis angel in my sps tank. Dosent touch sps It has nipped some lps, Here is a pic

Old 11/16/2007, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

My Blue Face and Regal have never to my knowledge bothered my SPS. Now, I don't get a lot of polyp extension during the day, some have said maybe that's why, but I've never seen them do anything.

jds
Old 11/16/2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

My little beastie C. eiblii nipps on my SPS but it doesn't destroy them. I do see poor polyp extention in my 75 where the angel resides. My 45 which is on the same system has amazing polyp extention in comparison. The reason that I set up my 45 was so that I could keep my angel. It eats clams and fleshy LPS so they get their own tank. Large angels are even more of a crap shoot than a pigmy.

Here are some action shots of it picking on one of my Stylophora colonies.

Old 11/16/2007, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

Regal, Bellus female and goldflake here no sps problems but certain colored zoos and lps seem to fall victim.. They have not touched any of my 5 clams either.
Old 11/16/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

It really depends on the fish. I have had 3 chrysurus at different times. One ate all my sps other 2 were fine. In my tank now i have a regal and a majestic.Regal never bothers a thing. Majestic will nip here and there if i dont feed enough. I think keeping them well fed is very important. I feed my tank 2 or 3 times a day and that seems to keep his mind off of eating polyps
Old 11/16/2007, 02:49 PM
Seahorse Wrangler

I've had this bad boy 4 1/2 years, since he was the size of a half dollar. I have many sps, zoos and clams, and he doesn't even know they exist. But LPS would not stand a chance. Angels are hit or miss.

Old 11/16/2007, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 93Foxstang
I have a griffis angel in my sps tank. Dosent touch sps It has nipped some lps, Here is a pic

looks like time for some peppermint shrimp and an emerald crab
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
4 Tunze Nanostreams Modded,
retros: 400w MH + 4x39w 36" T5
Old 11/16/2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

The only true reef-safe angels are the genus genicanthus (watanabei, bellus, swallowtail).

I have heard of those having success with other large angels...a couple factors likely to help a big tank w/ large and numerous corals (so they dont bother any one coral too much, spreading out their nips), and frequent feeding (on the order of 3x day).
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
4 Tunze Nanostreams Modded,
retros: 400w MH + 4x39w 36" T5
Old 11/16/2007, 04:22 PM
g l a s s b o x

i've kept a handful with sps. asfur, imperator, multibarred, pygmy, flame, juvi french, singapore that's all i can remember at the moment.

like mcliffy said, more corals help spread the damage. the only realy coral feeder was the juvi french who i ended up removing...the others did not cause any real harm. PE was only at night which made most of the corals look better

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 11/17/2007, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the input so far. I may just try and stick with my one Chrysurus and go with Tangs & Fairy Wrasses for the time being.
Old 11/17/2007, 03:55 PM

You'll be amazed at how many different Angel species you can put in an SPS tank.
Old 11/17/2007, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

I have an imperator with SPS for almost a year and I donŽt have any kind of problem

Regards
Old 11/17/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member