Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp

Old 01/04/2008, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

Talking New Year and New Exoskeleton!!!

Hello everyone, and happy new year!

My Pseudosquilla ciliata ushered in the new year with a new exoskeleton!

This is the first molt that he has had since I got him, and I am delighted! I guess that he is happy with his burrow, and he is eating well.

After my disastrous attempt at keeping a big L. maculata, it is wonderful to see my new addition thriving!

Jay
Old 01/04/2008, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

Very nice. Did he change color at all?

-Charles Darwin
Old 01/04/2008, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

He did change slightly. He was a nice green when I brought him and post molt he has gone a kind of drab olive colour. I wouldn't be surprised if he is starting to go yellow. Do the colour changes take place fairly gradually? I mean over multiple molts?

Jay
Old 01/04/2008, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

They can take place over a few molts, yes, but they are generally fairly drastic when they happen if they are changing to a new color. I doubt yours would turn yellow. Yellow usually happens before they arrive in captivity and continues because yellow just seems to be a stubborn morph.

Dan

"Sanity? What would I do with something as useless as that?"
-Kennpachi
Old 01/04/2008, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Dan,
I guess that was just wishful thinking

Jay
Old 01/04/2008, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

Sorry but look at it this way: The colors don't matter nearly as much as the activity and personality

Dan

-Kennpachi
Old 01/04/2008, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

Amen to that Pea-brain!
Old 01/04/2008, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

Don't get me wrong, I am delighted with him no matter what colour he turns. You are 100% right, personality is much more important than looks! (not often a guy says that, but it is true)

Jay
Old 01/05/2008, 03:35 AM
Registered Member

congrats on the successful molt! interestingly, my new peacock just had a molt on new years too. im keeping the rapt that i found... i think ill keep all the rapts i find from now on just to keep track of his growth.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

Mine was extremely white when I got him and within a month he turned jet black with green legs and a green irridescent hue to his body. His tail also has reds, blues, and purples in it. Talk about crazy lookin'
Old 01/08/2008, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

I have noticed, over my years of keeping snakes and tarantulas, that molting usually takes place during a specific time in the moon cycle (all my Bull Snakes shed four days after a full moon, etc.). Has anyone noticed a pattern as to when Stomatapods molt?

As far as colour changes go, I had talked to a guy years ago, about colour changes in some of the Stick Bugs. He had told me that he could help bring out certain colour by keeping the insects in cages wrapped in various colours of cellophane. I must admit that I never saw any proof, and I don't believe any published papers have proven if that is possible. I was wondering if anyone (Dr. Roy?) has tried to "customize" the colour of their Mantis Shrimp?

Jay
Old 01/08/2008, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

P. ciliata change color to match their pattern generally. On black sand a P. ciliata would likely turn a dark color, very close to black. On white substrates with stalky algae they tend to be white with green stripes etc. etc. The only real abnormality that i've heard of is the yellow coloration which tends to happen in really murky or colorful safe places where the mantis can afford to sexually advertise themselves.

Dan

-Kennpachi