Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 10/31/2007, 11:11 AM
Premium Member

Yup... Was planning on it, but waiting for a good pay day.. I will do.

(So far.. I support my local SW ~"CORA" and my local FW group ~"CAFE". Just hanging out a bit before officially getting my RC membership in full swing.)
Old 10/31/2007, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

In a different thread, I posted the immense value educational value of what I've learned here on RC, definitely got more than my $24 worth.

Now with even greater handholding (tough love) by Waterkeeper et al, in this thread, it's like a bonus, great added value.
Old 11/01/2007, 10:05 AM
Bogus Information Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by samb
Now with even greater handholding (tough love) by Waterkeeper et al, in this thread, it's like a bonus, great added value.
That's why I don't get a dime of the $24. Everyone on Staff figures I scare people away.

Tom
Old 11/03/2007, 05:54 AM
Registered Member

Complete Newbie

Well after spending the last 3 hours searching the web for information I found your article that hit me square between the eyes. Simple yet informative.

Ive recently moved from the UK to China and have been looking for a new hobby, and yes you've guessed it, ive just found it.

Finding items in a country im not used to is dificult so if you guys dont mind can i post links to photos of the items i find and if possible give me some feedback?

Thanks Again, cant wait for the next article

China Will
Old 11/03/2007, 10:35 AM
Bogus Information Expert

Hi Will

To Reef Central

Give it a shot with those photos. We'll try to be of help, but remember, there are about a zillion brands of skimmers alone and I've only had about three different ones over the years.

I have no idea how many Paul B has tried.

Tom
Old 11/03/2007, 03:14 PM
30 year and over club

Quote:
I have no idea how many Paul B has tried.
What are we talking now? skimmers?

I tried the first one they sold in the sixtees. Ever since then I build them. If I can't build it, I don't need it.
I am thinking of making the next one out of asphalt
Old 11/04/2007, 04:16 PM
Bogus Information Expert

You should be tarred and feathered, Paul.

My Dear Newbies,

I've had to put up with Paul for years. Too many to mention. He is a black spot on all of reefdom and each summer I pray that his boat sinks; taking all aboard into the depth of Long Island Sound. Anyhow, about February I shall feature his "tar skimmer" when I talk about that subject. After all, where would you think N.Y. would dump its old asphalt?

Tom
Old 11/04/2007, 04:23 PM
30 year and over club

Quote:
You should be tarred and feathered, Paul.
That would be fitting since asphalt is made from tar.

Listen to Waterkeeper as he has been keeping water for a while now.

Now I am going down to my boat to see if it is sinking
Old 11/04/2007, 04:35 PM
Bogus Information Expert

and I shall go tend to my water which is sticking.

How you doing you old goat?

Tom
Old 11/04/2007, 05:14 PM
30 year and over club

I am doing fantastic but I am not quite old enough. I retire in 39 days but who's counting?
I have socks older than most of the newbs here.
My test kits came in wooden boxes
Old 11/07/2007, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

Not new, but always learning.

Tom,

I have a question about your November article. I have a used 120 I bought about 6 months ago. I am slowly collecting equipment to upgrade from my 65 gal so it probably hasn't had water in it for about 8 months. Can I still use this tank and what do you recommend I do (other than fill it outside to check for leaks) to make sure it doesn't leak or have issues.

Chris
Old 11/08/2007, 01:30 PM
Bogus Information Expert

That is a good question for Melev. Marc is going to discuss sumps in the January issue for [rk]. My own thoughts are to use it as a big sump. Water volume is always a blessing in a marine tank. Take it this way. If a snail kicks the bucket in a 20 gallon tank, the amount of ammonia is going to be pretty high. In a 120,like you are moving to, it will only be a sixth of that amount. Add a big sump, like your 65, and it becomes a tenth as high. That is why one uses a sump. They help in diluting pollutants.

Tom
Old 11/13/2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

My Aquarium consist of one very very small anemone, one butteryfly fish 4inch, one tang 3inch, 2 dominos, 2 demsils, 4 nemos fishes I put all this stuff on Sunday of this 11 nov, 2007. but today 13 nov i founf 2 small dominos and one demsil is missing and a days before the colour of the domino is become fade i think that they might be died but i dont found their bodies till now i am affraid for my other fishes but they seems to be fine but my butter fly is little damge a little upper from the mouth i think today but they are taking their feed in a proper manner. Please guide me what will i do in this sistuation and my water salinity is 10.22 i dont have the amonia and nitrate meter please guide if i have how it should be and i any one have the price idea for these item. I have bucket filter which i make on yesterday after putting the filiter media in it.
Fishes: 1 scopas tang (Zebrasoma Scopas) , 1 Pakistan butterfly fish "Chaetodon collare", 2 clown,
Old 11/13/2007, 05:35 PM
Bogus Information Expert

Hi Atif
[welcome]

Many questions to answer first--[list=1][*]What is the size of the tank?[*]How long has it been set up?[*]A bucket filter? Is that a canister like an Ehiem or Magnum?[*]Are you using live rock and a deep sand bed?[*]Did you add everything at once?[/list=1]

I really need to know that to give specific answers. I would get ammonia test kit at once. Also raise that salinity slowly over time to around 1.025 or slightly higher.

It appears right now that you may have added too many fish in too short a span. The tank was not ready to handle the load and you have toxic levels of ammonia. I would do large, 30%, water changes about every other day for a week at this time. Give me a more complete picture of what is your current set-up and I'll provide better answers.

I hope all is well in your country as I know you are going through some trying times. My blessings to you.

Tom
Old 11/13/2007, 05:39 PM
Bogus Information Expert

And the first smart butt that calls me Pope WaterKeeper is in for a papal banning.

Tom
Old 11/13/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Hey Tom,

As someone who as enjoyed many of your threads and always found your advice to be on point, I was disappointed with your latest article on the subject of glass vs acrylic tanks. I think many successfully keep acrylic tanks and scratches are not inevitable. One problem might be that many tank manufacturers use too thin acrylic which leads to bowing and subsequently scratching. So in answer to your article, I would like to say that I had a glass tank first, switched to acrylic and am extremely happy with my 1" thick tank .

Anyway, I look forward to your next edition!
Old 11/14/2007, 01:54 PM
Bogus Information Expert

Sorry Paul.

I didn't mean to "scratch" acrylic off the list of choices but after hanging around this forum for seven years I tend to get a lot of input and, based on that, plastic tanks are not my top choice. I do know that the technology has improved. More scratch resistant acrylics are now used than those of the past and many people do enjoy them.

Next month I deal with lighting and you don't even want to know what my opinion is on PC's.

Tom
Old 11/14/2007, 03:59 PM
Premium Member

(Hey WaterKeeper....just an update.. I have obtained my "noobie pledge badge"..as you can see ..... )
Old 11/14/2007, 04:43 PM
Bogus Information Expert

Way to Go! Nrstype!

Tom
Old 11/14/2007, 05:04 PM
30 year and over club

Hello there Water Polluter

Quote:
based on that, plastic tanks are not my top choice.
I have a tempered glass tank and I have a lot of scratches in it.
It could be all the asphalt and beer cans though

After saying that, plastic is not my first choice either. In time you will have to replace it due to scratches.
Old 11/14/2007, 05:25 PM
Bogus Information Expert

Glass was just invented back then Paul.

Tom
Old 11/14/2007, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

I just wanted to say hello to all. New to RC, not really new to the hobby. The hobby I should call a career, I am a Directing Curator/ Dive Officer for a 12,000 gal. marine exhibit here in Arizona. (Since it is a commercial exhibit and I am new, I'll leave company name out for now. ) At home I keep a 220 gal. reef, that keeps me out of trouble. I only wish I found this site sooner...
Old 11/15/2007, 12:32 PM
Bogus Information Expert

Hi Pescardo

To Reef Central

Always glad to have a curator join us. Just please just don't ask me how to set up a Dolphin Tank as I never tried it.

Tom
Old 11/17/2007, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

Hi there! Just a quick question from a saltwater noob.
I've been doing freshwater for ages now and I'm thinking about changing my 20 gallon to a saltwater.
My question is this-
I have a 130watt compact florescent lighting system with 1 10k daylight and 1 true actinic (sp?) bulb.
Will this be enough lighting for some of the easier to keep corals/inverts?
Old 11/17/2007, 11:42 AM
Bogus Information Expert

Hi Vitae
[welcome]

That's fine for a 20 gallon. Power Compacts are often used on a small reef as you don't have a lot of room to work. Yeah, you can drop an MH pendant but you end up with more light fixtures than tank. You can also use T-5 but as you already have PC I'd run with it. With 130 watts you can have just about any coral you choose and even some high light organisms just by placing them slightly higher on the rockwork.

Darn, I may need to rename this the Welcome Banner thread.

Tom