Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 07/14/2005, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

brain in nano cube

is it possible to keep a green brain in a 24 nano with stock lighting. It is the one that is shaped like an eight. the water params are perfect.
Old 07/14/2005, 07:30 PM
OSU Who?Catch Me If U Can

you have a trachphylia(sp). When you say stock lighting you mean... If it is just noraml aqaurium flourecent bulbs I would not advise keeping it in there. Size wise it will be fine but get better lighting
Old 07/14/2005, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

The 24 g JBJ nanocube DX (which is in cokers sig) has 2 x 36 W PC lighting for a total of 72 watts....is that adequate?

I assume that is the one being referred to?
Old 07/15/2005, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

thats the one birdlady. 72 watts of power compact lighting. the brain is starting to shrivel and the fleshy part has sunk in and i can start to see the skeleton. What should i do? please help
Old 07/15/2005, 05:14 AM

almost 3 watts per gallon. Really I would move it into higher light and a bigger tank. Check your water peramiters coker and go from there. A sml tank can be hard to keep because a small water fluctuation in a nano can be deadly.... Lools like you have alot of stuff in that tank as well. Better lighting would me make it thrive very well...
Old 07/15/2005, 09:10 AM
RC Mod

The light is marginal at best. However Trachyphyllia also feed from the water column. If you're feeding the tank and water flow is such that it can capture food it should survive.

You might try feeding it small pieces of meaty foods after the lights go out and feeding tentacles are extended.

With it shrinking and having exposed skeleton you may have other issues.
Old 07/15/2005, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

i fed some brine shrimp to it last night when the lights went off and this morning it looks like the fleshy part is coming back out because it looks like it was when i bought it and for the nano cube probably three to four gallons is the filtration in the back so it should be 20-21 divided into 72 which is still only 3.6 but i plan on getting the 3.36 upgrade from chris here in about a month or so.
Old 07/15/2005, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

bcollins-----the stuff i have isnt much when i say purple shroom i really mean just one. I just got a lot of that stuff and right now i have only one of everything except two of the rics and you know how star polyps are.
Old 07/15/2005, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

bcollins-- you are able to keep a deresa clam with only four watts per gallon or 22o wats for the 55 gallon let me know how that is going because i would like to get a clam and i was told that the gold ones would be better suited for the lighting that i have.
Old 07/15/2005, 11:36 AM
RC Mod

Coker,

Just a heads up, shrooms will sting a brain. If they're close enough to touch when they're expanded that could be your problem.
Old 07/15/2005, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

none of the shrooms are big enough but yes it is not near any of the shrooms. but if the flesh has puf back out after feeding brine shrimp the night before does this mean that it is doing better.
Old 07/15/2005, 09:24 PM

I have had no problems with my Derasa since I have gotten it and it has put on some size. I currently have it on the sand bed and it looks great. Had it for two-three months now. Tell ya the truth I don't even feed it. You can keep Derasa under PC's as they do not require alot of light like croceas and maximas do (highest light rquired). I beleive you can do Hippo clams under PC's as well. I feed my Wellsophylia(sp) and trachs cyclopeeze at night. I turn off all the power heads and pumps and spot feed them with a syrenge and vinyl tubing. They love it.
Old 07/15/2005, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

i just picked up some mysis shrimp because i read that is all around healthier for everything in the tank. the fish doesnt seem to dig it yet but i also bought it for variety.