Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 01/05/2008, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

actinic acan photos

I'm bored + sick so I took these photos

This colony was almost completely dead when I got it in november for $40 it had maybe 5-6 healthy polyps and now it has 20+ babies and the larger polyps that were dying are now healthy full ones. In a few more months it should cover the dead skeleton.

The last one is "non indo" I hate that term but I don't know where its from. It would be nice if its japanese but I'll never know for sure. The rest are aussie.

Not an acan but I'll throw in this micro

All photos were taken without the use of a tripod, my frag / acan tank sits at eye level so i have to stand on a chair to take these. My somewhat broken Pentax camera has an anti shake feature that's great. Too bad my new camera (canon rebel xti) doesn't have this so I'll continue taking macros with the pentax when it lets me and for other instances use the canon. it was a gift otherwise I would have just got the K10.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Awesome is all I can say
Old 01/05/2008, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

These look great!! I know you have not asked for a photography lesson, but I thought I would help you take even better pictures...you should get a cheap tripod and a remote switch for your Rebel that way you would be able to decrease your aperature (by increasing the f/stop number) so that you will get a greater depth of field in your Marco;s. The only thing is you will have to shoot at something like f/25 (or more) and you will NEED both a tripod AND a remote switch to pull this off.

Here is one that I took with an f/32 aperature. The photo is a little out of focus, but it is continuous throughout the entire image. Look at how all of the polyps in the back are still in focus. With a little more practice and about $70-$90 in equipment, your great shots will look SPECTACTULAR!!!

Old 01/05/2008, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

my tank is at eye level though so i'd need a tripod thats at least 7 feet tall to get nice over the top shots. My current tripod is only about 5+ feet. I'd also need some sort of arm extension so I can move it over the center of the tank. That's going to cost more then $90

I don't have a macro lens for the rebel just the stock lens and a zoom lens that's not great for this type of photography. At this time I don't really see the need to spend $500+ on a macro lens as long as my pentax K100d hangs on to life. I actually like the pentax a lot better, but long story short I got it wet (in the tank of course) and now it only works when it wants to, I have to use the right combination of half dead and new batteries and it only works with the macro lens not the 18-55 lens.

I got the canon for xmas and I'm learning to use it but I've really noticed how much I relied on the antishake built into the pentax body. I almost never needed a tripod but now for everything tank related I must use a tripod on the canon. I'll look into anti shake lens in the future but I know that won't be cheap. I'm not sure why this isn't a standard feature on all cameras as it really does make a huge difference. I'd love to shoot at f40 on the pentax but even with the antishake I can't hold it still enough

thanks for the tips though.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

no problem....I missed the fact that your tank was that tall...you are right, a tripod will cost a lot more, and then tack on a lens...even more.

All in all, great photos, and when you consider they are taken w/o a tripod, it makes them even that much better