Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 07/13/2005, 02:50 PM
Premium Member

Critique pls. pump setup? for LPS tank.

Hi, I'm trying to finalize my pump setup for my 36X20X20 tank. LPS/softies only. Ive got it down to: from sump thru SQWD to 2 returns is either an iwaki 30RLXT(960gph) or 40RLXT(1200gph) plus 2 Seio 620 PH's. whay do you guys think? my Drain is 1.5" and my returns are 3/4" I'm thinking of going with the bigger 40RLXT, and want to make sure its not too much flow! Also, any comments on the Seio's, i know they are 620 gph, but is a larger,less targeted flow! any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.
Mike
Old 07/13/2005, 05:38 PM
Moved On

I would go with the 40RXLT with a gate valve to reduce flow if needed. I have never used Seios so I can't comment. Have you thought about a Closed Loop in stead of the Seio's?? Also how much head loss do you have on the return?
Old 07/13/2005, 06:28 PM
Premium Member

Ive thought about Closed loop, and deceided against it. Due to the tank location, i want it to be as close to the wall as possible. And there is a little less than 5ft. of 3/4" plumbing from the pump to the outputs. i will have a ball valve, so i guess bigger is always better, but i also need to stay concerned about too much heat being transfered to the water.

-Mike
Old 07/13/2005, 09:11 PM
Moved On

You can always drill holes for the CL. With an external pump I would not worry about heat issues. The MH lights is where all the heat comes from. Also the 30 and 40 call for 1", so you will lose a lot of flow
Old 07/13/2005, 11:27 PM
Mac User!

I used the Seio 1100's and they worked very well in a 4 foot tank. Excellent water movers IMO. I think the 620's will work well for you.

I agree with Jus Reefin that the larger pump is the way to go.
Old 07/14/2005, 12:36 AM
Premium Member

thanks for all the comments, it really helps to have help.

keep em comin,
thanks again, Mike
Old 07/15/2005, 06:08 AM
Registered Member

I would use at least 1" plumbing. Also, there is somebody around here who drilled the scwd holes bigger and they claimed it helped their flow. Haven't done it myself though.

Also, look into a closed loop. They are really nice to have, especially if you want to really get flow to certain areas. Plus you can leave them running while you do a water change!

Zac
Old 07/15/2005, 10:54 AM
Premium Member

Does 1" help, even tho its only going thru 3/4" in the SCWD? there would only be about 1.5 ft of 1", because my 2 returns that are behind the overflow and are 3/4".

thanks, Mike