Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/12/2005, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

Flower Pot Coral

Flower Pot LPS. Anyone know if these are extra hard to keep? doing some research online said that they were "difficult" and needed perfect water conditions. This LPS Coral looks impressive in the LFS and looks like a geat centerpiece for my new 20 gal nano. I'll have 72 wats of PC light and approximately 20x volume turn over between the filter and PH.Assuming water conditions are A-OK and I put the Flower Pot about 10" from the light...

Can I do it?

I want to look before I leap into anything harder than a polyp or shrom.
Old 07/12/2005, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

oops. Wrong forum.

Sorry.
Old 07/13/2005, 11:52 AM
Super Duper Member

brooks_mcclary looks great but no matter how good the water conditions are, it wont last there is something that is in sea water that it doesnt get in tanks it will eventually die i have tried 3 the longest one lived was 8 months lfs store told me there was something else that looked similiar without the problems lfs owner also told me he had one for 2+ yrs good luck
Old 07/13/2005, 10:43 PM
Minion

[moved]

..an additional 2 foot extension.. That thing hurt many people..

"Hold your children close."
Jim Hobbs
Old 07/14/2005, 02:15 AM
Crazy Aquarist

Brooks_McClary,

If these are the green or yellow ball flower pot are hard to keep. Flower Pot Coral isn't the best name for them because there are about 3 or 4 different coral with the common name but i'll take it the yellow green ball flower is the one your talking about. I can't remember where but it was said they need rich water and the clean tank like sps can't keep them. There are the ones that look like the flower pot but the tips are short and club shape. All I have heard is that these are hardlier then the common flower pot. I have the red flower pot and have notice that when I feed my coral they would sometime grab some cyclopeeze and the center of the polpy would show a small white string thing (its mouth?) Im not sure if they eat or not tho.

A better person to ask would be JENnKerry.

Believe in what you know and stand by it.
Old 07/14/2005, 02:39 AM
Registered Member

Alveopora are similar to Goniopora, but easier to keep. They have 12 tips around the mouth of the tentacle while Goniopora have 24 tips around the mouth.

Alveopora gigas

Goniopora stokesi

Old 07/14/2005, 07:16 AM
Go Sooners!

Brooks, yes they are hard to keep but not impossible. Personally, I wouldn't put one in a 20 gallon unless it's very small. My green stoksi (the one in my avatar) gets to be basketball size when fully inflated and I couldn't imagine it in a 20 gallon.

The best advise I can give you would be to search the forums here on RC under goniopora and alveopora. And check out our website www.reefcraze.com for a lot of information.

Kerry
Old 07/14/2005, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

Thanks a ton guys. I am still looking for the perfect LPS to be my center piece...

:-)
Old 07/14/2005, 09:17 PM
Go Sooners!

I found mine
Good luck to you.