Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

lighting question

so I am interested in getting a light for a reef tank. I am not rich so i am looking at fixtures online. what do you all think about a coralight fixture one bulb is 18 wt 10,000k lamp and the other bulb is 18wt true actinic 03 lamp. its a two bulb fixture. i have a 29 gallon tank. 30 inches long and about a foot and a half tall. i have about 20 pounds of live rock and live sand in the tank. i would love to add coral and anemones. thanks for all your help
Old 01/09/2008, 01:57 PM
Send money....

Not enough light except for maybe some shrooms or other very low light corals. If you're planning on a large variety of corals, and especially anemone, then you need to be looking MH or T5 lighting. Depending on how your setup is (canopy, etc), you can look at retrofit kits and save some money over fixtures.
Old 01/09/2008, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

Need more light

I agree you need more light
2x55 watts would be best.
These in power compact are fairly inexpensive.
Plus the more light with 10k and actinic will make things look great.
Maybe get one with 2 switch's so you can set the light on timer so actinics are on longer than the 10k.
9wt UV
Canopy=2x96 PowerCompact
96wt 12K + 96wt Actinic03
Also 40wt Actinic & 60"Moonlight
Refu = 30wt Coralife 50/50
Old 01/09/2008, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

thanks i appreciate your help
Old 01/09/2008, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

If possible try to go for something like 2x65watt PC lighting which is what I used to have on my 29 with the exact measurements as yours.

I had a Coralife Aqualights I think.. The one that has the moonlights on it... Go to the seller section on here and see if someone is selling one used.. That's how I got mine before I moved up to the viper lamp..
Old 01/09/2008, 05:34 PM
RC Mod

A good T5 setup would be more light-efficient, but I agree that 2 65 W PC bulbs would be fine for soft corals.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:40 PM
Send money....

However, guys, in the OP he is asking for lighting advice and stating he wants to keep anemones. I would suggest something stronger than PC's if that's the route you are considering taking.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:18 PM
Premium Member

I agree Shooter. lwaxman, if you want to eventually keep an anemone, buy a t5 or mh setup. Since money is an issue, (like it is for most of us) check craigslist, the local club forums here on reefcentral, or the used goods forum and you might be able to find a better deal. If you only want to keep low light corals, the lights you were referencing would probably work.