Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 01/02/2008, 03:21 PM
Genuine reef addict

Quote:
Originally posted by leoslizards
Can anything in the common home reef kill you with a sting or bite or something? Example, jellyfish but they're not common in a home reef, I think. What about lion fish? This would help me avoid things when I start my reef system.
Good question and I sure can't answer it. I've always wondered myself how bad the sting is from a lionfish. Keep in mind that different people are affected in different ways. If you're alergic or become sensitized after several exposures/stings, the risk can increase. I'm not sure that there is a definite answer here. I think a bite from a blue ring octopus is often fatal, but they aren't commonly offered to aquarists, as with other especially toxic fish. Research what you buy before you buy it. I'd avoid the lionfish anyway - unless that's the only thing you want to keep - they have big mouths and will eat anything they can swallow. I have a Foxface, with venomous spines, but it avoids me, and I avoid it, but I don't think a sting is going to be fatal.
Old 01/02/2008, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

My hammer stung me after my arm scraped on rocks .. I ended up with pretty good sized lumps that did not go away for 2 months. I still have the scars. I now have the OB vet gloves -- they are not water proof but they do the trick. There are also some that tie behind your neck, here's the link.

http://www.jorvet.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id/1592
Old 01/02/2008, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

I only feel mine if I have a good cut on my hand, then it stings pretty good for a little bit.
Old 01/02/2008, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

Palytoxin from zoanthids and palythoas will kill you. There are stories in the zoa forum every once in a while about someone becoming very ill or their dog dieing after licking the zoos. If you handle a lot of zoos and make them mad enough some will release the toxin and if you don't cleanse your hands good enough you could be killed or severely hurt.

Fire coral will leave big welts and rashes but will not kill you.

Lionfish will not usually kill you but can. Typically, if you are stung by a lionfish, your arm (or whatever appendage is stung) will burn for a while, and the sensation can spread to other parts of the body than what was stung too. Hot water will denature the poison and soaking the sting in the hottest water you can bear is highly recommended. You can also feel sick for a few days after you get stung.
Old 01/02/2008, 07:02 PM
Genuine reef addict

The really toxic zoas are only certain types of palys from what I understand - not all zoas and palys are as highly toxic as those certain types. But, it's good to wear gloves with all of them, and to be sure to wear safety glasses & keep your mouth closed. Most, if not all corals have some type of defense - stinging and/or toxins. Avoid using cut hands with no gloves on, and watch out - some like the zoas and mushrooms can squirt you in the eyes or mouth.
Old 01/02/2008, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Some people are hyper-sensitive to the stings of euphyllia and anemones, etc
I am one of those people!.... My nuckles, and back of my hand esspecially , as I recently found this out while trying to turn one of my corals and brushed up against the Frogspawn... HURTS HORIBLY!... burn burn burn and itch itch itch!!! I hate it!

Quote:
Lionfish will not usually kill you but can.
Absolutly!... There was a pet store owner in my area about 2 years ago got stung by a lion fish.. he suffered serious complications, was rushed the the emergency room, suffered liver damage, and his pancreas shut down twice! Kindney trouble soon follwed after .. he has lot a TON of weight and is still battling health issues!!!!
Old 01/06/2008, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

This is good stuff. I didn't know zoos and mushrooms could squirt at you. Like a spitting cobra or something?

I haven't started my reef yet but I planned on having alot of zoas, mushrooms, hammers, and an anemone. I'm going to buy a pair of those Corallife shoulder length gloves!
Old 01/06/2008, 09:37 PM
Genuine reef addict

The zoas & shrooms typically close up when messed with. In the process they expel water which could end up being a squirt. The Coralife gloves are great for moving rock, but you'll find they're tough to use when "fine tuning" something in the tank, or trying to place a coral frag - the glove part is thick and bulky. Just my opinion, but I'd rather wear the thin disposable latex surgical type gloves, with a rubberband around the wrist to keep water out. I get them by the box of 50 or 100 at the drugstore. Both types of gloves are good to have though. the Coralife type at least keeps your arm dry.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

I bought these at my local farm supply store:

Arm Length Gloves

They allow you to have great control with your hands and they're shoulder length!