Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/03/2006, 10:56 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by krajacich
Great pic Pat! How big do you think your pistol is?

I think mine's about two inches long now. He keeps covering my sun coral and brain with sand....we're currently having a sand war. He pushes it out from under the rock, I push it back. Kind of humiliating to be losing an argument with a shrimp.

I think it's about 3". Still hard to tell because it rarely comes out all the way for me to see. Just peeks and teases.
Nothing is really new with the tank. Everything is about the same exceot for one of the finger leathers that doesn't seem to be doing that great. It might be because I am still using the Kent Salt with their new formulation.....not sure.
All the fish are still alive and doing well as are all the opther corals, but they don't seem to be growing very much. It's like they're alive, but they're fully grown up now.
Old 10/03/2006, 11:34 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Hey Pat! Welcome back! Nice shot of the pistol.

Brian
Old 10/03/2006, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

Quick pic of a relatively new tankmate.

Old 10/03/2006, 01:44 PM
Premium Member

Wow, nice picture. I love the colors of him/her!
Old 10/03/2006, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

I took some pictures finally.

Old 10/03/2006, 02:17 PM
Premium Member

Old 10/03/2006, 02:20 PM
Premium Member

Great Pics Pat! Your mandarin would have loved my tank this morning. Something hatched/spawned and there were thousands of tiny things swimming around the tank for about 30 minutes. They only last 30 minutes as my Anthias went CRAZY!!!! You'd think they'd never been fed before!
Old 10/03/2006, 02:24 PM
Moved On

Ive read a large portion of this thread and i might have missed many things, but im still confused as to what TBS is?
Old 10/03/2006, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

Tampa Bay Saltwater. Cultured live rock. They're one of RC's sponsors.
Old 10/03/2006, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

O.k., here's some updated pictures of my tank.

Old 10/03/2006, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

And a few more...

Old 10/05/2006, 09:11 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Good to see you put in an appearance too Landon. Have you been able to fix most of the damage from the fire?
we are all done with home repairs. just trying to get some of the furniture replaced now. ive been tinkering wiht the big paludarium i had, trying to get it up and running again.

some good news, i did score a 180 gallon AGA tank last week. i got it on trade for some other equipment (about $150 worth), but its got a busted support and its not reef ready. im looking into drilling a tank that big. if i feel i can do that confidently, then itll be a reef some day. if i cant get it drilled, no tellin what will end up in it

Pat, great picture of the elusive pistol. the tank is coming along nicely too. i love the profile shots of your fish.

wow!

now that is my style of a reef!! WTG!!
Old 10/05/2006, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, Landon. My baby is finally growing up
Old 10/05/2006, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

wow nice pics! I got to stop slacking and post some updates of my tank.

What I originally thought was a porcelain crab predator turned out not to be. I just had a bunch of them molt all within a few days of eachother. I also had jsut recently changed my flow, so they moved to different spots for feeding(along the back and udner things so I couldnt see them). The potential mantis is still just that, a potential mantis. I look at my tank every night, and usually once a night when the lights have been off trying to see this eluysive shrimp, but I still have not seen it for more then a half second in 6 months. I only know if its existance because of the clicking noise and the fact that ive seen it twice while looking at the tank with a flashlight but both times it retreated long ebfore I could get any sort of positive id. I figure if it truly were a mantis Id see some large pile of snail and hermit shells somewhere but I dont. I also dont feel that Ive lost many snails or hermits. When you have a mantis you know it right?.. right?

Ive started my limpet killing spree. I feel bad killing the little guys seeing as most of them were born in the tank. Its too bad they havea taste for sps and sponge and I have no refugium to send them too.
Old 10/06/2006, 11:47 PM
King of the Tank!

Hey! I somehow missed this whole page of updates. This thread was what got me hooked on starting a reef tank!!

Awesome pictures Pat and smcnally. I just hope mine is somewhere near as nice as those tanks are in the future!!

Well my TBS is at the 6 month point. I have purchased some frags and I just got an AC jr. So far I have only hooked up the temp probe and the PH probe! Here are some pictures (sorry but my camera and camera skills are not as good as I would like ):

I’m working on a larger sump but every time I start to install it I think of something else I want to do. I need to install the DC8 for the AC jr and clean up my wires. Here is current sump which is pretty crowded:

and the “in progress” sump:

Jay
Old 10/07/2006, 07:38 AM
Registered Member

Looks very nice Jay. Did you build that stand yourself? That's a really nice looking stand.
Old 10/07/2006, 10:28 AM
King of the Tank!

smcnally - Thanks! Yup home made!! Got the idea off of the DIY thread here on RC and I need to make the canopy next.

Here is a picture of something purple on the side of my rock. I think they are Trunsits (sp)? Can someone ID? They are neat as they sometimes form a bubble or look like the have melted into each other. Then they open back up as you see them!

Jay
Old 10/07/2006, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

Those are Tunicates. Very cool hitchhikers. Read up on them, they can be kept in captivity, but often wither away when you don't take care of them properly.
Old 10/07/2006, 12:17 PM
King of the Tank!

Thanks! I will read up on them. I must be doing something right as they are growing!

Jay
Old 10/13/2006, 10:11 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Hey all,

Well, my SEIOs gave out over MACNA and won't restart. So the budget comitttee has approved TUNZE streams! YEAH!!! So I'm getting ready to buy one large pump and the new Tunze Nanostream when they come out later.

I know some of you bought the Tunze pumps (I know Pat did), I was wondering, did you buy the magnet holder too? How thick is the magnet on the outside of the tank? I only have 1/2 to 3/4" clearance on the outside of the tank for a magnet holder.

Brian
Old 10/13/2006, 10:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianPlankis
I know some of you bought the Tunze pumps (I know Pat did), I was wondering, did you buy the magnet holder too? How thick is the magnet on the outside of the tank? I only have 1/2 to 3/4" clearance on the outside of the tank for a magnet holder.

Brian
Hi Brian- great news on the Tunzes...I love mine and I think the magnet is a great upgrade. I just measured it's 9/16" on the outside of the tank. HTH
Old 10/13/2006, 10:46 PM
Premium Member

BTW- What happened to CirolanidHunter??
Old 10/14/2006, 10:52 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
BTW- What happened to CirolanidHunter??
Thanks for the advice on the Tunze. I'll be going with the magnet holder.

CirolanidHunter was a cool nickname, but I'm trying to get the same username on all forums and it was also too limiting now that I'm trying other ventures

Brian
Old 10/27/2006, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Hello everyone. I am new here, found this while reading the TBS site for about a year now. Just purchased a 12 gallon Aquapod and can't wait until it arrives and I can place an order with TBS. There is so much useful info here I have a feeling I will be here on a daily basis.
Wayne
Old 10/27/2006, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

I'm finally at the stage of needing rock for my tank! Salt water goes in this weekend, finally!!!

I'm really torn on which way to go: LFS Fiji live rock with 2 day shipment (very little die off) at $4.5/lbs local pickup or TBS with the added shipping costs... It almost doubles the cost to go with TBS... However, TBS packages contain everything, so it's not an apples to apples comparison in that I would still need a clean up crew and some sand sifters from the LFS... Also, the the amount of bio diversity TBS displays is quite remarkable and a big, if not the biggest draw for me!

Too many choices, each with their own pros and cons...

I need to be tipped off the fence one way or the other!