Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/26/2006, 06:29 PM
Bogus Information Expert

Deep,

In a 200 quite a few. The little dose of KW you use on each one is not going to change very much in the way of pH. I'd say at least 100 and then check pH the next day just to be safe. If the pH is Ok then kill some more.

Hi Hope,

The cyano in a four month old tank is pretty common. Check both your nitrate and phosphate levels. Both can be lowered by water changes or, with phosphate, you can try running an iron based phosphate removal product. Do be aware that aquarium test kits only detect inorganic simple phosphate so there can be considerable amounts that you don't see. Growing some macro in the sump or, better yet, in a refugium is also a way to help eliminate it.

Tom
Old 06/26/2006, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

Thank you soo much waterkeeper, Where could I get my hands on macro (online)?
Old 06/26/2006, 06:55 PM
Bogus Information Expert

Well Hope you might try a local reef club like Atlanta Southeastern Marine Aquarium Society, many of the sponsors on RC sell it and here is a store that specializes in it MacroAlgae.com.

Tom
Old 06/28/2006, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

Wow.....I feel like I did when I finished reading the Lord of the Rings series for the first time and what I felt like after finishing Stephen King's Dark Tower series.......where do I go now. I can't believe that I have actually reached the end of the post that has been alive now for years. It only took a week

As I have mentioned on this forum before, I am planning on starting up a 55 gallon FOWLR. I have been in the planning stages of this tank for about a year now (mainly because I moved after graduating from college, finding a REAL job, etc) so I have been slowing buying things here and there along the way after doing tons and tons of reading. Although I had read a lot on the equipment itself, there is NO better resource for the "newbie" than this post. I am so glad that I have waited and waded through this post and can now say that I feel really excited and "more" prepared to start up my tank in the coming weeks. I'm almost a little happy that I ran into a little monetary hitch for the past couple of weeks since I don't think I would have been prepared for the fun and challenges to come.

Can't wait to start and I'm sure I will have some questions and adventures to talk about here in the future.

Thanks a TON WaterKeeper for making this post what it is/has been.

Adam
Old 06/29/2006, 09:10 AM
Bogus Information Expert

Adam,

The staff here at RC deeply regret that you have wasted your time reading all the outdated stuff in this thread. Since WK started this thread the whole method of reefkeeping has dynamically changed. In fact WK has been replaced by an automated web bot and supplies only canned answers provided by more informed staff members. We will soon tell new members this fact when they sign up but you slipped through the cracks. Sorry about that.

The RC Staff

Tom
Old 06/29/2006, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

Hahaha....yeah, after reading through all of your posts, one would think that you were a robot just spewing out information. Glad to hear that you're still around here and kicking out the humor and knowledge all the same...I mean, the robot that is....
Old 07/19/2006, 07:27 AM
Registered Member

Greetings all.

WK, your praises have been sung many times during this epic thread but i'd also like to pass on my own gratitude.

This is my first post and im not even sure if this thread is still alive, at the moment i have no other questions as im reading both the lighting and filtration threads as well and trying to absorb everything.

I think you were getting on to your second installment of intermediate fish about 6 months ago?! Is this still coming or has it been abandoned?

Anyhoo cheers for the good work
Dave

Last edited by MancMonkey; 07/19/2006 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07/19/2006, 09:12 AM
Bogus Information Expert

Hi Dave
[welcome]

The thread is not dead but I have been spending many hours translating it into British.

Let's see, we can stock a tank or filter it. Decisions, decisions.

Well a fish list is pretty easy so I'll find out what I did with it. I had it done and never posted it. I love those little key chain memory cards and have several. Trick is always to remember what's on what.

Goda,

Your lighting a 130 gallon with four 40 watt cool whites?

That is really limiting yourself and unless the anemone is about 4" form the lights its future is not good. See Host Anemones for more. On my 130 I had 500 watts of MH and 300 watts of VHO, including actinic. With an anemone you really want bright lighting and actinic too. However I have a feeling you are just pulling my leg. I am a kinder more understanding WaterKeeper and
Won't Lose My Cool!!!

J

Almost a month since I was going to hail the rewards of having a DSB. I'll take that on this week. I have at least 25 things to read in my subscribed threads today alone so it is not likely going to happen this morning.

Tom
Old 07/19/2006, 09:15 AM
Send money....

Quote:
I am a kinder more understanding WaterKeeper
aawwwwwwwww!!!

I prefer the drill sargent approach.

Congrats on the split.
Old 07/19/2006, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

You're doing a commendable job on the translation WK although i keep seeing z's pop up all over the shop, sterilize for example should be steriliSe in proper English, dont worry i'll learn you eventually!

I have been reading various books, aquarist magazines and of course RC for at least the last month but found this thread to be useful for everything in Laymans terms. Also aided by the fact the same questions crop up over and over which is an aid in eventually hammering the info home. I imagine the WK gets fed up with the sound of his own voice sometimes though!

I move house next week and have my eye on a nice 450l (i think this equates to about 120G US as the UK Gallon measurement is different). For which i plan to utilise a deep live sand bed with plenty of live rock, sump and possibly a fuge. Im looking at fish and a few hardy inverts to start but would like to gear up for a full reef from the off so i can add coral once i have some experience in the trade.

Im trying to document all planning to make sure i get everything right from the get go, i only have one 'dream' fish (i suspect it will remain so!), this is a clown trigger. I keep reading horror stories about these fish though so please can you shed some light on any experience you may have had with them, i assume my shrimps and crabs would not last too long? I believe the picasso trigger is slightly less aggressive so again any shared experience would be great.

Many thanks from sunny Manchester!

Last edited by MancMonkey; 07/19/2006 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07/19/2006, 11:58 AM
Bogus Information Expert

Well is it sulfuric or sulphuric acid?

I love the Clown, Balistoides conspicillum, but they have a rather nasty habit of not loving anyone else. Growing to a foot and one half and an agile swimmer, woe unto their tankmates including fish, coral and other edible invertebrates. A 120, I mean 450 liter (or is it litre) tank will contain one. And I do mean one. The main reason they are not overly popular is their hostile behavior to anything else in the tank. When small they can be kept and are usually peaceful. When they grow and reach their full glory, watch out!.

I'd be more inclined to try our RC banner fish, a Clown Tang, Acanthurus lineatus. While not as striking, it is slightly smaller and generally fights with others of its own genus. It is reef safe and exists mainly on a vegetarian diet. It is somewhat cramped in a 120 but should be Ok if you limit the number of fish in your tank.

Tom
Old 07/19/2006, 12:11 PM
Send money....

er, I thought the banner fish was a Sohal?

Last edited by Shooter7; 07/19/2006 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07/19/2006, 03:58 PM
Bogus Information Expert

You're right Dave

Tis a Sohal;. After a few beers in the afternoon, I can't tell a Carp from and Tang.

Anyway Manc, care insturctions are the same. See Acanthurus sohal for details.

Thanks Dave.

Tom
Old 07/19/2006, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

Calling WK, Calling WK, please.

This thread is just like coming home when you need someone to lean on.

I am trying to get an answer to how much flow is recommended through a refugium. I posted a thread but haven't really gotten an answer. Can you help me out, please

Many thanks, as usual.
Old 07/20/2006, 08:57 AM
Bogus Information Expert

Hi Fun

Refugium flow is a topic where everyone has an opinion. I've always used low flows, on the order of 1-3 turnovers per hour. That is mainly to keep the pods in the fuge. Calfo, on the other hand, says let her rip. He uses the same turnover rate as many people use in their sump and claims it is better for pod breeding.

Since it appears that both methods work, take your pick.

Tom
Old 07/20/2006, 09:14 AM
Bogus Information Expert

Now I need to figure out why this thread is breaking into fragments. There is this one with 54 posts, another one with 10 and the 41 page main thread. It is very confusing.

OK, I merged the two spinoffs into a single thread. Hope that works.

Tom

Last edited by WaterKeeper; 07/20/2006 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07/20/2006, 11:38 AM
Moved On

"Your lighting a 130 gallon with four 40 watt cool whites?

That is really limiting yourself and unless the anemone is about 4" form the lights its future is not good. See Host Anemones for more. On my 130 I had 500 watts of MH and 300 watts of VHO, including actinic. With an anemone you really want bright lighting and actinic too. However I have a feeling you are just pulling my leg. I am a kinder more understanding WaterKeeper and
Won't Lose My Cool!!! "

yeah you got me :P altho at the time that is all i had since my ballast was in the shop :P now im back up to 770 watts of vho ^^ ( switchin 3 out to t5 soon)
Old 07/20/2006, 12:30 PM
Premium Member

Well, WK, why do you want to keep the pods in your refug? The main reason I am setting up a refug is to supply my main tank with more pods for my Mandy. Is my thinking way off?

So if I have a 30 gal refugium the flow can be anywhere from
30 gph - 90 gph using your preference, correct? Or more, using Calfo's preference.

Do you use gravity for your refug or do you pump?

I was planning on feeding the refug from a T off the return line and then using gravity for water flow back to the sump but I can't figure out how to keep the refug from completely emptying out whenever I turn my main pump off. How do would you handle this?
Old 07/20/2006, 04:32 PM
Bogus Information Expert

Goda, that sounds more like it.

Fun,

I had my fuge located somewhat above the display and had it empty into it my gravity feed. I had the fuge drilled about 2" from the top so if the pump is off it only drains down about 3".

As to the pods, some will swim out such an overflow but I would often use the old turkey baster to catch some after dark and move them to the main tank.

Tom
Old 07/20/2006, 09:49 PM
Moved On

i have my fuge next to my sump and use a SLOW flow ( 20 gph throu a 55 gallon fuge) using a giant siphone made from pvc.
then pumps back up to my display from the sump.

plenty of stuff makes it
and if not who care i got alot of pods in the display as well ( just waiting to find the perfect manderin ^^)
Old 07/20/2006, 10:18 PM
Premium Member

I had read a magazine article recently about refugiums that recommended putting the outlet as close to the bottom as you could so the pods would just flow out with the current. I don't have much confidence in myself using a turkey baster. I can hardly see the little critters in the bottle of live pods I recenlty bought from the LFS.

Raising the outlet up a bit would help. I don't think there would be anything in the refug i.e. chaeto that would be hurt by being out of the water for the short amount of time I have my pump shut off. The refug tank is 36x12x12. If I have a 3"-4" DSB and then place the outlet around the 6" level that would leave everything in 2-3" of water. Does this sound resonable?

Goda, using a syphone wouldn't the flow break everytime you turn off you pump and then you need to reprime the syphone again?
Old 07/20/2006, 10:27 PM
Moved On

nope

it looks like two "j"'s connected.
that way when the water level drops it maintains the water inside the pipes so that it wont loose the prime
now i do have a lil hone on the top so i can suck the air that builds up out of it ( micro bubbles that dont make it all the way throu .) but i have a doser pump sucking on that and then pumping it into a CA reactor ( nothing in the reactor as of yet) so im killing two birds with one stone
Old 07/20/2006, 10:32 PM
Moved On

you can see the siphon ( kinda) in a few of the picts. its the one with the airline comming out of the top
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
Old 07/20/2006, 10:42 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the pic. I'll let my DH look at it and then decide which way he wants to go since he gets to do all my plumbing.
Old 07/21/2006, 06:00 AM
Registered Member

Cheers WK, looks like i'll have to forget that Balistoides conspicillum and im not so keen on the Sohal, just doesnt have the same character.

The fun has now begun, ive managed to convince the good lady to sacrafice more of the dining room so i can increase from an intended 120 to a 150-180g, my question and most probably a stupid one is what are the best dimensions for a tank that size, ive seen loads of variations, long and shallow, tall and thin etc etc, as i believe most fish spend their time moving in a horizontal fashion as opposed to vertically in the water column would a 72x24x24 be better than a 60x28x28 or is that extra depth of 4" irrelevant (stronger light setup maybe required?).

Im sure over the coming weeks/months there will be many many more questions!