Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods

Old 09/25/2005, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

BlUeRiNg OcToPuS

if i want care some this octopuses, hapalochlaena lunulata, in aquarium 55x55x40 with refugium 60x30x25, 25kg liverock, skimmer for 400 litres, what i must do about safety?
sorry bu i'm from poland and i'm don't good speak english
Old 09/25/2005, 11:18 AM
Comme un soleil ensorcelé

Re: BlUeRiNg OcToPuS

Quote:
Originally posted by Adi Z.
what i must do about safety?
If you are worried about safety, don't get one. These are extremely deadly creatures that shouldn't be part of the hobby. Besides that, they don't normally show their blue ring pattern, and don't live very long.

Otherwise:

[welcome]

Old 09/25/2005, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

from what i believe most octos might live 2 yrs in captivity, and if you have an opening as large as their beak on the tank its sure to get out....
Old 09/26/2005, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

Hey, I read a lot of things about blue rings, and by the time they get to you in the LFS, they probably only have 2 months to live. They also are generally shy and make poor pets compared with many octos.
Tonmo.com is the main octo site on the net, they will all suggest not to get one,
Go for a Bimaculoides, they are supposed to be the best starting octo, very friendly.
Old 09/26/2005, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

Buying this or any such creature just keeps the importers/wholesalers in the business of importing things that should stay in the ocean. Very few people have the $,equipment, time, and desire to keep a blue ring alive for long, especially once you understand how short they actually live in the ocean.
Old 09/26/2005, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

but i'm live in poland, there's only bluering octopus, and octopus vulgaris from atlantic, vulgaris is too large to this aquarium
Old 09/26/2005, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

At the risk of taking flack. I currently have a blue ring octo. It is not at all shy. It even approches the front of the tank when I tap the glass(expecting a meal). The blu ring are almost always visible although not pronounced. Although physical interaction is impossible it is quite an interesting creature.True the beak is the only limiting factor as ti where this animal can go. BTW all bases are covered there. the animal doesnt prefer any part of its body above the water line. Just thought I'd clear some misconceptions. I'm not condemning or advocating blue ring purchases. THey are deadly and intelligent. thats quite a rare combo. in this world. Mine came from a friend who bought it for the pretty blue rings and its cute size. when I informed him what it was he wanted it gone immediatly. I aquired it and gave it a good home(I'm not saying that my reef is better than nature). Now I can't wait to see how badly I'll be slaughtered on this thread.
Old 09/26/2005, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

just wanted to add that yes they are generally short lived. But then again so are all octopus. GPO being the largest & longest lived is about 3 yrs. IMO all octopus are best left in their natural habitat. I find it exceedingly cruel to take any inteligent creature's freedom away. This animal WILL KNOW IT IS BEING HELD CAPTIVE. Having said that if some one I know would inadvertantly purchased another and wanted it out I would gladly take another. As I said before they are very interesting. However I will never purchase a wild octopus and would hope others would do the same. Adi Z. I hope you don't buy a blue ring not just for your sake but also for the octopus's sake. Thanks for letting me ramble, I'll shutup now.
Old 09/27/2005, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

Now I can't wait to see how badly I'll be slaughtered on this thread. [/B][/QUOTE]

Anyone willing to house a pet that can kill him surely can take
a little flaming on a thread

How cautious are you doing tank maintenance?

I get nervous working with lion fish and foxfaces. Guess that makes me a girly-man
Old 09/27/2005, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

I only use tongs and siphon tube, and I close the top if it dissapears in the live rock. I won't do anything if I can't see it. The only thing I am currently worried about is it is housed in a JBJ 24 gal. nano. I bought it before I knew anything about failures. If it goes my dog will go to look and see what she can take. She'd be toast.
Old 09/28/2005, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

i heard that those blue ring octopus's if they bite you you have 10 minutes before you die
Old 09/28/2005, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

is that true
Old 09/28/2005, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

It depends on where you were bitten. In an area with low blood flow you may not even be envenomated enough to become paralized(this is speculation I think). However under many circumstances the time is more like 5 min. The venom is a neuro toxin called TTX I think(I don't remember the real name). Anyhow it's the same toxin that is in the gall bladder of all puffer fish. Death is not certain however, from what I understand if you recive cpr and a breathing apparatus for 24 hrs. supposedly there are no after effects( DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS!). There is a fella onthis thread that would know alot more than me or anyone else I've seen on this site. His name is Roy I don't remember what his screen name.
Old 09/28/2005, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

sorry not this thread but this forum!
Old 09/28/2005, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

thats crazy
Old 10/08/2005, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

Hey Raywhisper you seem like a pro at this Octo thing. Why don't they call you Octo Whisper.
Old 10/09/2005, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Stingray
I am certainly no pro. I know who you are though. A HACK!lol.
Hows your tiger? BTW my wound from your argentine is healing up fine, thanks for the concern Jacka$$!
Old 10/09/2005, 12:05 AM
Registered Member

Thats why I'm called RayWhisperer!
Have you met the fella I got my pus from?
Old 10/11/2005, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

Hey Ray Whisperer you finaly took my advice and got into octo's. That was a great move, just do your self a favor and don't try not to play doctor with the blue ring like you did with my Argentine Motoro. Those tenticles are not Claspers!!!
Old 10/11/2005, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

What happens whenyou "rub" those claspers?
Old 10/11/2005, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

YOU Know What Happens