Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/08/2005, 06:23 AM
Registered Member

C. taxifolia, going white

I am trying to control diatoms in my tank, and have set up a fuge with 100 of PC lighting and added some C. taxifolia. It seems to be getting covered with diatoms and the tips are going white/clear (looks like its dieing).

My P04 and N03 show undetectable on salifert kits, but diatoms and hair algae and minor cyano persist.

How can I grow this stuff right in the refugium and get the bad stuff out of the display?
Old 06/09/2005, 02:01 AM
Registered Member

Hang on. Its seems to be growing. Is it normal to have white tips? And is C. taxifolia the type of algae that "goes sexual" potentially cuasing a tank wipe out?
Old 06/10/2005, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

White on the tips suggests growth. Yes, taxifolia will "go sexual."
As far as wiping out a tank, I've never had it do that to mine, however, I did have a massive die out immediately after adding calcium a few days ago. The other caulerpa is fine, but the taxifolia all bit the dust and clouded the tank. I pulled it out and let the filters do their work and have seen no harm done.
BTW, taxifolia is also a type of macro which is illegal in many states.
As far as growing it in the fuge and getting the bad stuff out of the display, I have used chemi-clean with no ill effects to the macro. It might work for you.

Seahorse Enthusiast
Old 06/12/2005, 04:19 AM
Registered Member

The C.tax is seems to be growing like a champion. I hope it solves my other algae probs.