Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Buyer/Seller Feedback
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/31/2007, 11:13 AM
eating my reef

wheeldog63 ripoff!!!

Well its been two months since I paid this guy for his Aqua C 240 skimmer and I am no closer to having a working skimmer in my hands. Worse yet, I had already sold my skimmer (he shipped 4 days later than he said he would) so I had to buy an expensive used one from the LFS to skim my tank in the meantime.

I paid him for his skimmer and had him ship to me using my fedex account #. He packed the skimmer with the Mag 18 pump pressed right up against the collection cup/neck juncture and it of course totally shattered it. The flange at the skimmer neck which had been previously repaired also cracked. The pump wasnt even so much as wrapped in newspaper, just in there bare right against the acrylic. How can someone even think that would work? I almost wonder if the skimmer wasnt already broken and this guy decided to make a little money on Fedex and/or some sap (me).

Anyway, because I was the shipper of record, I had to file the claim. Which Fedex denied of course b/c there was no padding. Since it went through Fedex Kinkos, thats where they sent the mangled skimmer back to. They want 50.00 to rebox and ship the thing back to me but at this point, it would need pretty major repairs so not worth anywhere near that.

Because he baited me along with politeness and returned my phonecalls while this was happening, I let the paypal claim expire before I had cash in the bank so to speak. Big mistake. Now he wont talk to me via email, hangs up whenever I try to contact him and he has moved to another state. Last I spoke with him he told me that I was the shipper of record so it was my problem and that he would do nothing for me. I even suggested that we split the loss between us....he told me get lost basically, that he wasnt going to take any loss on this.

Nice! If anyone knows him or his whereabouts, please contact me via pm.

Anyone else have any ideas about getting some restitution here?
Old 01/31/2007, 11:20 AM
eating my reef

sorry, this went into the wrong forum...should be in seller feedback mods.

So angry I apparently cant read.....
Old 02/05/2007, 08:04 AM
Registered Member

sorry to hear this, hope he makes it good for you
Old 02/05/2007, 12:44 PM
Premium Member

Reminds me of my one bad experience. I bought a Zeo reactor, zeo stones, etc. from a guy who had a low post count. he packed it so bad, he used thee zeo stones as padding material and used hard styrofoam in the box. The whole thing cracked. He tried to be someowhat helpful at first but then got somewhat defensive and angry in his emails, then disappeared off the boards completely. The bottom line, I was stuck to fix it and "hope" it worked. I was out $400. If I ever want to sell it it is cracked and I wont get much for it. I have done a lot of deals and packed a lot of stuff. I don't know what people are thinking when they pack like this...total morons.
Old 02/05/2007, 07:08 PM
eating my reef

lol nice, using stones as packing material! Pretty much the same story here I guess. Best part is my buddy moved so I cant even send the cops after him.

I guess the bright side is that it usually goes right when dealing with folks on here.