Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/05/2005, 02:13 PM
Personna Non Grata

Missing: Linkia Starfish and Emerald Crab

Well, we returned from our week long vacation to find the water level about an inch below where it should be. SG was at 1.018 was 1.025 when I left. I had my wife's uncle tend to the top offs and feed every other day. At first I though all was ok. No missing entities or anything. However, I have not seen my Orange Linkia Starfish or my HUGE Emerald Crab since we returned a week ago. The crab was absolutly huge, the largest I have ever seen. Near 2 inches across. The linkia was a smaller one. I have had the starfish in the tank for nearly 5 months and the Crab was from another reef tank that parted out his 110 gallon maybe 2 months ago.

Question: Does anything eat Starfish other than the obvious agressive fish? I only have one fish in there now, Cave Goby. I have some large hermits but I think they are not interested in the star. They have ran into one another before with no real interest.

Without pulling the rocks apart to search for it I am thinking that the Emerald has the star somewhere hostage.

Any thoughts?
Old 11/05/2005, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

The SG drop from 1.025 to 1.018 may have caused the dissappearance. Are these the only inverts to go missing. 0.007 is quite a change for inverts.
Old 11/05/2005, 05:30 PM
Registered Member.

if your water line dropped, your SG should have increased not decreased?? What did your wife's uncle do, a water change?
Old 11/05/2005, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coralfarmer84
if your water line dropped, your SG should have increased not decreased?? What did your wife's uncle do, a water change?
I was thinking the same thing. The SG should of gotten higher not lower..
Old 11/05/2005, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

Yes I wondered the same thing as above and starfish are very sensative to salinity changes. Linkia's are tough to keep anyway so I'm assuming it's dead.

kass
Old 11/05/2005, 10:21 PM
Personna Non Grata

I was under the same impression. I thought the SG would have been way high. I told him to add water each day. It was using about a half gallon daily. Told him to keep the water just above the botom of the trim. So you could not see the water line. Anyway, that did not happen. The humidity dropped and it started sucking up water. However, not sure why the SG was low. I have ran the tank at around 1.018 before though for parasites. Anyway, not sure where they are now.