Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/04/2005, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

Fish Dieing. Territorail Perculas?

I have a 40 gallon tank with just two true perculas. About 3 weeks ago I bought an orange stipe goby and a royal gramma. The royal gramma was dead the same day and the goby last about 3 days. Wednesday I bought a fire fish and just found his body mutilated. He was definately eaten i'm not sure what happened it could have been the hermit crabs. I'm not sure if it' my water quality or not but my Percula's are happy and my corals are doing great.
Old 11/05/2005, 07:59 AM
Will work 4 corals

I bought a royal gramma and my ocellaris clowns killed it. The females can be very aggressive.

So shoot me!
Old 11/05/2005, 08:05 AM
Garbologist

If there was enough aggression between fish to result in deaths you would most likely see it going on.

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 11/05/2005, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

Ya I've never seen it happen. By the way I found out the problem. I got my water tested and everything was fine except the salinity was like 1.026. I'm sure that was what was killing all the fish. I have a huge evaporation problem. like 5 gallons a week out of my 40 gallon. I've been replacing it with fresh water + some salt water and I guess after time it just got way too salty. Thanks for the replies.
Old 11/05/2005, 02:20 PM
Will work 4 corals

1.026 is not that bad. In fact I know people that keep their tanks at 1.025

So shoot me!
Old 11/05/2005, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

My 37g stays at 1.026 percs. and my new angle seem to be fine with it..
Old 11/05/2005, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

I try to keep my tank at 1.025-1.027, so your salinity wasn't a problem. Unless it was a huge jump, but your fish were hardy so I don't think it was the salinity. You should only be topping off with FW though. That said, clownfish are technically damsels, and they can be very aggressive, especially a protective mother.

Where's your will to be weird?
Old 11/05/2005, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

I know alot of people that keep their salinity that high. I keep mine around 1.024-1.025
Did you acclimate the new fish? It could be a problem if they were in much lower salinity and you dumped them in.
I agree if the clowns were killing them you should see them picking on them.
Royal grammas usually fight back and can hide easily.

If the tank is new maybe it is'nt cycled yet and the percs are used to it. Just guessing but I'd make sure the ammonia and nitrite are 0 before adding anything else.

When you add the top off water you don't need to add salt as it does'nt evaporate.

kass
Old 11/05/2005, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

HUH I don't know than. I had my water tested and everything was fine just the salinity was high. But it if the fish I was buying was used to a lower level salinity it would kill them right? I just bought a 6 line wrasse after I changed the water so I'm hoping he'll do ok.