Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/16/2005, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

2 Live aquaria yellow fiji leathers gone bad

2nd one in the month-original started decaying after the first night...this one was fine for the first 2 days and now browning and devaying as well. Parameters are great...other corals are wonderful. I fully acclimated and left the lights off for the first night. Is there a chance that it will come back or if it starts to brown and decay it is done?
Old 10/16/2005, 04:32 PM
Moved On

every yellow i've got from LA has been dead in the bag on arrival, they are difficult corals in the first place and i guess shipping is very traumatic on them.

kc
Old 10/16/2005, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

they like a ton of flow to begin with and it is even more helpful for sick corals
Old 10/16/2005, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

i contacted them and they are going to credit my account. According to the description on the site, they are easy to care for and like real strong lighting. I started them low bc I have such strong light, but it never had a chance. At least they are being accountable.
Old 10/16/2005, 09:43 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by giants4pc
..........According to the description on the site, they are easy to care for and like real strong lighting.
Quote:
Originally posted by LiveAquaria.com
Yellow Fiji Leather Coral
(Sarcophyton elegans)

Care Level: Moderate
Light: Moderate to High
Water Flow: Medium

i think they should move moderate to difficult as they are in comparison to other leathers considerably more picky about tank conditions. IME they do well in varied lighting conditions as long as they get direct light of at least reasonable intensity, i find they do require at least modest water flow and are allot more tolerant to high flow then other leathers but do not do well if they are blasted continuously. the higher flow requirements are why they do not grow a stalk but more or less encrust.

hth
kc
Old 10/16/2005, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

I just ordered one last week and it was a gonner. When I opened the bag it stunk so bad I had to open all the windows in the house. Has anyone had one of these corals from LA live?

I may just cancel the resend from them and use the money to buy something else.
-Chuck
Old 10/16/2005, 10:16 PM
Pragmatic Majic

Hi, Giants-

Do you still have the leather in your system? Like you I lost the first one I attempted too. The second one I got also started to decay at the base and got some black/brown spots on it. I relocated it to an area with strong swirling flow and it recovered and is doing awesome.

If you have it still, try to find a suitable area with strong light and flow, and leave it alone. They sooo hate to be touched and will stress out even more.

I don't think they ship well, I bought both of mine at lfs's. Both were doing awesome there. I think they just hate to be touched/moved/shipped.

Old 10/17/2005, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

I ordered a sacrophyton elegans from them and it died shortly after the 14 day garantee. I've had better luck with sacrophytons that were tank raised. I bought an electric green one from a user on RC and a tan one from a frag at the LFS that are growing quickly. I wouldn't order another elegans from them based on my experience.
Old 10/17/2005, 01:24 PM
Garbologist

Easy to keep coral once acclimated, but are absolutely horrible shippers. I have had mine for years, and have tried to send several frags to friends. Almost none of them made the trip.

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 11/05/2005, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

I too ordered one from Live Aquaria and its still has a little brown on it. I'm hoping for the best. Its past the 14 day guarantee, but I'm still worried. I usually have good luck with Live Aquaria, but am a little dissapointed this time.
Old 11/05/2005, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

mine crapped out immediately after the post. I took the credit and applied it elsewhere.
Old 11/05/2005, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to invade the thread, but I am curious. When Liveaquaria.com credits your account, do they just credit the cost of the item, or do you get the shipping refunded or get a replacement item shipped for free?

I am considering my first online purchase from there and that will factor into my decision. Thanks.
Old 11/05/2005, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

if something dies, you have 14 days to contact them in which they will then reship the identical item if you desire. However, if you do not want the credit like that, you can take the price of the item and automatically apply that towards something else. They DO NOT reimburse for shipping. Example-
yellow fiji leather--39.99
shipping--28.99
LA credits 39.99 toward the account
Old 11/05/2005, 05:43 PM
Premium Member

I got a Fiji Yellow from them that also arrived in bad shape. The shipping box was soaking wet when it arrived. The bag wasn't clamped well and 3/4 of the water had leaked out. So I attributed the poor arrival condition partly to not enough water cushion. And of course the other factor is always FEDEX. I don't think LiveAquaria stock originates from their new holding facility in WI. Everything I've gotten from the Divers Den was just top notch.
Old 11/05/2005, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

Fiji yellow is very difficult to keep.
I remember talking to Leroy from garf about 2 years ago and he said they had a real hard time keeping it past 6 months.
I had 1 in my 150 for a cpl years before it died under low flow and pc's. I never tried another one.
Elegans is another one people have a hard time with so I would'nt really blame live aquaria. At least they have a guarantee.
I do think they should change that moderate to difficult though.
I'm surprised if they ship so badly they even have a guarantee on them.
I visited and had a tour of their aquaculture facility in August in Wisc. and they take great care in keeping their corals and all looked healthy to me.

kass