Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/05/2005, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

adding rock from a cyano infested tank

I have a tank running at home that was a reef tank and when i went to college i turned it into mostly a fowlr, with just two zoos and one single musrhoom polyp. I do water changes on the tank once a month when i come home. This week I came home with a huge nitrate spike and a cyano problem. I did a water change and got rid of most the cyano. A lot came back the next day. Anyway...Im starting a nano at college but wanted to take the remaining coral out of the old tank. Is it too risky to move corals that could contian cyano to the new tank?
Old 11/05/2005, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

I wouldn't think this would be a problem. It mostly has to do with the overall excess nutients of the tank. I don't think bringing a piece or two from a tank with a cyano problem to a new tank would start a problem there unless it is packed with detritus and make the water quality in the new tank go sour and start a cyano problem there. I would like to see others opinions on this as well because i could be wrong.
Old 11/05/2005, 12:19 PM
10-08 the Desk

Scrub the rock and shake out the detrius in a bucket of seawater. Then just keep your nutrients in check in the nano.
Old 11/05/2005, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

ok thanks everyone, ill try and scub the rocks, and put them in after the tank is cycled