Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/28/2005, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Algae Taken Over Tank

Hello,

I've been battling this algae on and off for over two years now. No matter what I do, I can't get rid of it. Can anyone ID this and recommend anything?

I'm so frustrated, I've even considered quiting the hobby.

Thanks in advance,

Terrance
Old 03/28/2005, 10:29 PM
Premiun Member

Looks like Caulerpa sp. to me. It can be particularly difficult to get rid of since it attaches so strongly to the rocks, but im sure you're already aware of that

What size of tank is it? Perhaps you could find a tang or some other fish or invert that would eat it. Sailfin tang maybe??? Ive heard they are good algae eaters.
Old 03/29/2005, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

Hello,

These are the things I've tried:

-Low bioload, only a few small fish in my 300+ gal system
-regular water changes, 20% per week for 2 months.
-regular (daily) pruning, plucking from rocks.
-sailfin tangs won't touch the stuff, astreas, margaritas won't touch the stuff
-used IO salt with RO/DI water, lately using Oceanic
-increased water flow
-kalkwaisser reactor, in an attempt to use up all phosphates
-most resantly, Zeovit, currently onto my 4th month.

The only thing I haven't tried is cook the rock, but with many attached corals, it would be a nightmare.

If someone can ID it, and recommend a critter that would eat this stuff, I'm willing to give it a try.

Terrance
Old 03/29/2005, 01:45 PM
Rubberman

I had the what I think is the same as what you show.
Is it very brittle and an almost sharp feeling? It seems to attach differently than other Caulerpa sp and not send out roots like most of them do.
I've been using ZEOvit since 7-2004 and most of it's gone or at least it's no longer a pest.

SteveU
Old 03/29/2005, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

I know in the other thread the one guy tried the Doliatus Rabbitfish and it took care of his type of red algea. I have been considering trying one to see if it would eat this type of algea as well.

You said you were open to suggestions. Try the doliatus and let me know how it goes. I know that marine depot sells them, and so does reefer maddness http://www.reefermadness.us/RMD-Siga...doliatusFJ.htm although marine depot sells them for much cheaper.
Old 03/29/2005, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Hi Steve,

I've seen the type that you've described, but this isn't it, its actually quite soft. In the water, it's almost fluffy and bushy like, not stiff at all.

Terrance
Old 03/29/2005, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Kevin, thanks for your thoughts, I'll try to get one locally.

Terrance
Old 03/31/2005, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

Well I was at the LFS yesterday and found that they had a fish that was either the same, or very similar to the one I posted above and only cost $20. So I bought it. Ill let you know if it does any good.
Old 04/01/2005, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

Kevin, please keep me posted.

Terrance
Old 04/02/2005, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

i have something like this in my fuge, i got it from a local guy, my mexican turbos love it, i put a small amount in my display once in a while for them to munch on jennifer
Old 04/06/2005, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

ttwong .. actually this algae is good for importing nutrient and reducing NO3. I have it in my refugium. If u want to get rid of it try getting blue(hippo) tang in your tank. This fish will eat all this algae.
Old 04/06/2005, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

This is not intended to be mean, but how can you say an algea is good when it literally has taken over a tank with no way to perminantly get rid of it. Yes I agree that it can be good for nutrient export but when it takes over like it has and is choking out corals and other desired life, then its negitive aspects by far out weigh its positive aspects.

As far as a hippo tang, maybe Ill try that one next.

As far as my doliatus, so far it is exactly like the last foxface I had. It eats only softer algea (including grape calurpa) but wont touch the red stuff. I will probably give it another week or two and then I am going to take it back and try something else.
Old 04/07/2005, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kevin_mic
This is not intended to be mean, but how can you say an algea is good when it literally has taken over a tank with no way to perminantly get rid of it. Yes I agree that it can be good for nutrient export but when it takes over like it has and is choking out corals and other desired life, then its negitive aspects by far out weigh its positive aspects.

As far as a hippo tang, maybe Ill try that one next.

As far as my doliatus, so far it is exactly like the last foxface I had. It eats only softer algea (including grape calurpa) but wont touch the red stuff. I will probably give it another week or two and then I am going to take it back and try something else.
It is good if u put them in the refugium but if it is in your main tank and u cannot control them then it is a problem.
Old 06/19/2005, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

will the calupra spread from the sump via the return pump easily?
How does it reproduce or transport? I have a paint screen over my sump.
Old 06/20/2005, 04:22 AM
Registered Member

Try other herbivor.
Yellow Tang? Well, I believe hermit crab will go for them, as they are less choosy. Unless its had somekind of self-defensive over predation, poison?