Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/14/2005, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

Seagrass bed biotope aquaria

Hi, thinking of switching my dull typical reef tank over to a seagrass biotope aquarium. It's a 46 bowfront, with a 4" DSB. I want to increase the sand bed another 2" and remove most of the rock. I have a large Long Tentacle anemone that I want to keep in the tank, as well as some pieces of Porites with commensal x-mas tree worms that I want to be the focus of the tank. Anyone have any pictures of seagrass beds in nature from diving/snorkeling? I snorkled in a great seagrass bed in Mexico last year, but I lost all the pictures. Anyone keep or used to keep a tank like this? I would love to see pics. Thanks,
Mike
Old 06/14/2005, 03:14 PM
Sea cowgirl

If you search this forum over just the past few months you can find mine and other's pictures of seagrass dominant aquaria. Or try my red house (my website) for some pictures and random ideas. My design of the tank, or aquascape, is not anything great to speak about, but it is something.

Generally how I find the beds in the wild is not exactly a picturesque view anyway.. they exist as large mixed species beds in many areas with things just randomly thrown in. Epiphytes on the leaves of the grasses tend to make things look messy underwater too. But I, like you, am craving some 'grass bed pics. I think its a project I'll have to take on myself later this summer.

There was also a thread just a few lines down where ozadars I think posted some images he cropped from google sources of wild grass beds, that might be of interest.

>Sarah